Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tape Project Announces the last of the Series 3 Tapes

Drum roll please! TP-30 is:

"The elves here at The Tapeshed are hard at work preparing our next release: Doc Watson/Never The Same Way Once/Live At The Boarding House May 1974.

You can read some of the background here: http://www.sfgate.com/music/article/...photo-13030458"
    What an interesting story behind this recording and can't wait to hear this tape! Gotta love the guys at The Tape Project's eclectic taste!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Oh yeah, this is one I will get for sure.
    TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
    VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
    DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
    SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
    AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Nothing to do with this release but their new direction in releasing tapes made from digital masters leaves me a little perturbed . Isn't that making a mockery of the whole tape thing? Surely a high res digital download would be better than using analog tape as a sort of equalizer and charging $400 for it?

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree but they did explain on the site. But yeah, digital on tape, ho hum. Though the Patricia Barber tape sounds so much better than the LP or CD. Go figure.

My complaint is more Rene has access to some wonderful recordings (I heard a Nina Simone that would knock your socks off) and he is only issuing them in digital. He has even gone to souping up his Nagra D with a carbon fiber cover to the headblock, RCA jacks out from the head so can use different ICs, etc. and it is just digital in the end. What a waste!

• rockitman
        rockitman commented
        Editing a comment
        Talk about a "fail" biz model. I will not buy RTR dubs off digital masters. Sorry !!!
        Last edited by rockitman; 09-17-2017, 09:08 PM.

Well I agree - I would never buy a tape from them (or anyone) made from a digital master. I can buy 192/24 or DSD files and make my own 15 ips 2-track tapes for $50! Happily the Doc Watson as you said is from an analog master.
      TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Denon DP59-L/Hana ML/ModWright PH 9.0; Pioneer PL-50LII/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Bryston SP-3, Marantz NA6006/Pioneer N-50, Schiit Bifrost
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9, Velodyne FSR-15
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

Originally posted by JDZA View Post
        Nothing to do with this release but their new direction in releasing tapes made from digital masters leaves me a little perturbed . Isn't that making a mockery of the whole tape thing? Surely a high res digital download would be better than using analog tape as a sort of equalizer and charging $400 for it?
        I checked on the Tape Project website and they make NO mention of going in a new direction - releasing tapes made from digital masters. Myles' comment mentions they explain on the site. Am I wrong about this? Seems like a direct contradiction of the basic premise of the Tape Project.

Thanks, Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post

I checked on the Tape Project website and they make NO mention of going in a new direction - releasing tapes made from digital masters. Myles' comment mentions they explain on the site. Am I wrong about this? Seems like a direct contradiction of the basic premise of the Tape Project.

Thanks, Larry

digital-direct

We transfer the music direct from the 96/24 digital masters to tape. The result is a stunning audio and musical experience. This is the first time we have offered a tape sourced from a digital recording. We may do others after this one, but our regular Tape Project releases will continue to be made on an all-analog chain.

SKU: DDA-001

$400.00

7 in stock
          Add to cart

Comment

• astrotoy
            astrotoy commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, didn't see that one at all! Larry

Looking forward to this tape release.
          [TURNTABLE] TW Acustic Raven One [TONEARM] Dynavector DV 507Mkii & Graham Phantom [PHONO] BAT VK-P10 & Dynavector PHA200; [CARTRIDGE] Dynavector XV1S, Lyra Kleos, Ortofon Cadenza Mono [TAPE] Otari MTR15 & Technics RS1500 with JRF Headblock [DIGITAL] Grace Design M920, Lynx Auroa 8 ADC/DAC, Mac Mini with roon labs [PRAMP] McIntosh C2300 [AMP] McIntosh C601s [SPEAKERS] Legacy Audio Whisper & Wavelet [ACC] Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

I'd better visit the w/s...first I've heard of this.
            Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by JDZA View Post

digital-direct

We transfer the music direct from the 96/24 digital masters to tape. The result is a stunning audio and musical experience. This is the first time we have offered a tape sourced from a digital recording. We may do others after this one, but our regular Tape Project releases will continue to be made on an all-analog chain.

SKU: DDA-001

$400.00

7 in stock
              Add to cart
              Right. The Tape Project announced the release of The BBB album on Open Reel Tape even though it was a 24/96 PCM recording.
              Wasn't clear to me whether this was a one-off release or a new direction for them.

The Tape Project says:

"We transfer the music direct from the 96/24 digital masters to tape. The result is a stunning audio and musical experience. This is the first time we have offered a tape sourced from a digital recording. We may do others after this one, but our regular Tape Project releases will continue to be made on an all-analog chain."
              The BBB

http://tapeproject.com/product/the-b...bernie-dresel/

Comment

• astrotoy
                astrotoy commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds like they may do more digital to tape, but that the regular Tape Project Series will continue to be all analogue. If you stay with the regular series, then you will be getting all analogue. Looks like they are very clear about saying what they are doing with this title in terms of digital transfer. I've known Paul S. and the other TP founders for close to 10 years and they are all very straight shooters. I was surprised about the title of the TP-30 release. I had lunch with Paul Stubblebine last fall and he talked about the next title as being a classical chamber music recording that he had done earlier in 2016. I know the group who were a quite fine string quartet in the Bay Area. As most of you know I am a classical music fan and was looking forward to that release. It is all analogue. I'll ask Paul what happened.

Larry

• rockitman
                rockitman commented
                Editing a comment
                well I am game for more analog mastered releases on Tape. What are they thinking ? Do they really think people who go way out of the way to have well sorted RTR playback will want digital sourced music on analog tape ? What are they smoking ?

• Sgood@verizon.net
                [email protected] commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree rockitman. And I’d also add, they should find a way to add more well known rock titles; there’s plenty of great jazz and classical out there already.

rockitman,
              They are in a legal state so I would bet that they are smoking some really good stuff that will make digital on tape sound great, maybe they will give a couple of joints with each tape so that we can hear the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by don View Post
                rockitman,
                They are in a legal state so I would bet that they are smoking some really good stuff that will make digital on tape sound great, maybe they will give a couple of joints with each tape so that we can hear the same thing.
                Vbr,

Sam

Comment

Hello

I also would suggest to 'try' to have contact with Neil Young.
                  This guy takes a lot of care for providing audio quality records, stremings, Lp's... and he now runs an 'all digital' HQ streaming website for his own music.

But, as he has many old analog recordings (not only Harvest...) it might make a great all-analog tape release !

Julien
                  Paris, France.

Comment

Working...
                  X