Beethoven Violin Sonata #3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beethoven Violin Sonata #3

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3743.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.95 MB ID:	50046
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Ed Pong was nice enough to send me a copy of their latest Beethoven recording and had a quick first listen tonight. Though the system wasn't fully warmed up, it was still easy to hear this new tape is a big improvement over the first gen of UltraAnalogue tapes. The latest UA tape release is warmer, more dimensional, isn't washed out sounding and most of all, there's thankfully no hum issues.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
      1morerecord2clean commented
      Editing a comment
      You had me confused with the subject Myles. I see we are speaking of the Sonata and not the concerto.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Corrected. My brain is mush after meeting with my accountant today to do my taxes.

I'm wondering why you would have heard any hum on these tapes. Even the first tape I ever received from UA doesn't have any hum. My equipment is pretty sensitive and all of these UA tapes are very quiet. The latest tapes are really amazing, I was listening to the 'Schubert Grand Fantasy' tape today, it really blew my away!

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      There was hum in the right channel. Not just me but someone else I know had the same issue.

Originally posted by audioguy1958 View Post
    I'm wondering why you would have heard any hum on these tapes. Even the first tape I ever received from UA doesn't have any hum. My equipment is pretty sensitive and all of these UA tapes are very quiet. The latest tapes are really amazing, I was listening to the 'Schubert Grand Fantasy' tape today, it really blew my away!
    ❤️ your decks.

Comment

Thanks! I'm going to rebuild the A80 and get a Studer tech to calibrate it. I just got it about three months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by audioguy1958 View Post
        I'm wondering why you would have heard any hum on these tapes. Even the first tape I ever received from UA doesn't have any hum. My equipment is pretty sensitive and all of these UA tapes are very quiet!
        I bought 8 tapes some time ago and there was hum on all of them. We tried every single one on four different machines and results were always the same. I returned all tapes to Ed and a few weeks later got back perfect samples.
        Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• audioguy1958
          audioguy1958 commented
          Editing a comment
          Man, that's a drag! I wonder if tapes passing through customs get scanned with some kind of xray that damages them?

• Marcus
          Marcus commented
          Editing a comment
          Nope. Wasn't that. Scanning can't hurt the tape. I did all the necessary detective work. At the end we found out it was something with the recording equipment. Not surprisingly if you ask me.
      Working...
      X