No announcement yet.

Least Favorite Genres?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rap, pop, hipop, techno, disco, country, soft/smooth jazz.

david
    Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
    Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
    Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

It's not always just about genres eg. jazz, classical, rock etc. but the music within each genre. For instance, while I like classical, there are simply some composers I don't get.

While I wouldn't necessarily listen listen to country, there are still some artists I would listen to like Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline and a few others.

BTW what would you classify Red Hot Chili Peppers?

I also think tastes change a lot over time too. I used to hate DCD back in the '90s. Now I've come around to liking them. Same goes for a few other artists.

What bothers me most are bad covers. Songs that should have been left alone because they can't be bettered!
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
      -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post
        Rap, pop, hipop, techno, disco, country, soft/smooth jazz.

david
        I think there's one thing to be said in defense disco. And maybe the music industry at large. Many of the individuals involved in disco music were serious musicians who had to make a living and went to where the money was. Many, over time, went back to the music they initially loved.

Remember the joke that David Chesky told me 20 years ago.

Three people die and go to heaven where they are greeted at the pearly gates by St. Peter. St. Peter welcomes them to heaven and congratulates them for living a pious life on earth. He then says before they enter the gates he'd like to play a little game and guess what their occupation was on Earth.

So St. Peter goes to the first person how much money did you earn the last year on earth? He answers I made 50 million dollars. St. Peter answers you must have been a banker. The man goes that's amazing St. Peter. How could you know that? St. Peter goes welcome to heaven and make yourself at home.

St. Peter repeats the same question to the second person and he answers $800,000. The good Saint says were you an attorney and the man answers affirmatively, again amazed St. Peter guess his occupation correctly. He proceeds through the pearly gates to heaven.

St. Peter asks the last person the same question. The man hesitates, hems and haws and then finally goes well last year was a good year. I think I made $6500. The good St. Peter looks at him and asks what instrument do you play?
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
        -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
        -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
        -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
        -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
        -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
        -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
        -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
        -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
        -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
        -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Oh, and all White Power music. Thats truly trash.

Comment

• Per Sundell
            Per Sundell commented
            Editing a comment

• david k
            david k commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you heard communist party equivalent? Every nation, race & tribe has those songs and generally none are listenable nor tolerable. Unfortunately rap versions of those songs calling for killing of white people, cops and even the president common these days not to forget how women are portrayed as Ho's, bitches and slaves...

david

• Per Sundell
            Per Sundell commented
            Editing a comment
            No I donĀ“t think communists do that.
            As far as it goes for some rapmusic you are correct david k.

Personally I am fan of experimental and avant-garde music, I like the unpredictable development of melody and culmination.
          That's why my favorite genres are math rock, ambient, experimental and noise rock, post-rock.

I can listen constantly East Hastings by Godspeed you! Black Emperor and I never get tired of this song.
          Recently I discovered Pretend, great band. I would like to share this track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FnNZjULvNk
          My Freesound
          My blog about audio tech and hardware: here
          My web project: https://paperleaf.ca/dissertation/

Comment

Rap/hip hop. I can tune out most other music that doesn't appeal to me (pop and country), but rap just bores into my brain and actually makes me angry!
            DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp; Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Oppo 205 Blu-ray player; Sennheiser HD800S headphones VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge;

Comment

personally I prefer to leave my musical pores open to exploring new music - whether it be new or old and genre. I especially like artists that write their own music. in 2018 there is so much great new music to buy, that I don't have the $$ and time to listen to it all.

How can anyone dislike entire genre's? That is as closed minded as you used to complain about your grand parents.
              As Myles mentioned, there are artists I did not like when I was young, now I do. There is good and bad in every so called genre - but keeping ones ears closed for new music is very sad imo.

that said, I can play too - I do not like audiophile lite jazz like Diana Krall, Vanessa whatever her name is and alike - Any decent singer on American Idol can sing just as well as these ladies, so no real talent imo.

Comment

• tima
                tima commented
                Editing a comment
                "personally I prefer to leave my musical pores open to exploring new music" - nice phrase !

• Metamatic
                Metamatic commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Tim :-)

Non-classical. :-) Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
              Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Any thing the girls will dance to is fine with me

Comment

To paraphrase someone who was in Tommy Sands' band once Frank let him return from exile, "I'm willing to listen to anything (once)."
                  I think genres are, by their nature, confining and somewhat misleading. I know there is a gross disparity between classical and say, hip-hop, but within each genre there are many shadings.
                  Steve Lefkowicz made a very good point about innovators rather than followers- I'm a big fan of Gil Scott Heron, and you could call him the grand-daddy of spoken word soul, which in its modern incarnation is a form of rap/neo soul. When I attended the Grammys one year in LA, I was blown away by Coolio. (Granted, it was heavily sampled from Stevie Wonder). Outkast and Gnarls Barkley can deliver some pretty good soulful stuff. I think my biggest limitation is ignorance. For example, though I know some of the great operas, I'm not really an opera buff. Do i hate it? Nope, I don't listen to it much, probably b/c I don't understand it, and part of it is the stage action, which is missing on the recording.
                  I'm a sucker for stuff that was in mainstream radio heavy rotation back in the day if it is well produced--Crystal Gale is killer, ditto The Carpenters. Sappy- you betcha. I can swing from that to punk. (The Repo Man sound track is a "must have" record--it captures the best snapshot of the LA punk scene).
                  Ken has turned me on to spiritual jazz, which has rekindled my interest in jazz.
                  I listen to a ton of hard rock, and much of the precursor stuff is now labelled 'proto-metal'-- at the time, metal didn't even exist. I never thought of myself as a metal head, but a fair number of records that get play here fit under that label now.
                  I think it is good to get out of your comfort zone sometimes--

Comment

• Rob
                    Rob commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gil Scott is a lyrical one man army, his words are polarizing and a little too politicized for my tastes but I like his beats. My mind is always blown wide open, im willing to hear any reccos you care to list.

• Bill Hart
                    Bill Hart commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, other than "The Revolution Will Not be Televised" I really wasn't that familiar with his work. I started with the Strata-East "Winter in America" (which does not include the track "Winter in America"- that's on his next album), but all the early stuff, including 'Small Talk' and 'Pieces of a Man' is in the same vein- it's pretty political but it still has relevance today.

In terms of other stuff, I'm so behind in my writing--I've been digging Meg Baird- both her current band, Heron Oblivion which is psych rock and her earlier stuff with Espers- The Weed Tree is particularly nice--freak folk. Ken mentioned Espers to me when I told him about Heron Oblivion. There are a few other early bands from the UK that are part of that psych/folk scene. That's one of my next articles--i've been waiting for a couple interviews to come through.
                    I've probably mentioned the Dutch Vertigo of Sabbath's Heaven and Hell- it's as good as any of their early records and sounds good too-- not crazy money, just harder to find, and if you get one from the Netherlands, you get killed on shipping.
                    I've been in this doom prog/metal thing--I had written about Orne's Tree of Life- that's their "prog" band; but the same guys have a heavier band called Dr. Bizzarre- Crush the Insects II is almost a parody of Sabbath but it sounds good and is fun to listen to-- on the Svart label out of Finland. Ken could tell you whether that one is being reissued; i know one of their other ones is.
                    Did you ever pick up Brian Davison's every which way? Another Ken tip--sounds like early Traffic, great psych rock blues shouter stuff. Mercury US copy should set you back 30 bucks for a clean one.
                    I've now bought most of the early Crimson Steve Wilson remixes- the one that is the biggest improvement is In the Court--CD/DVDa only. I guess Fripp's 2010 vinyl release is still in print.
                    SW reissued In Absentia on vinyl and it sounds better than my earlier copy (which was not a first pressing). Cheap- Amazonville. If you dig that record.
                    Do you have Shuggie Otis' album with the original Strawberry Letter #23? It's a fantastic record, should be cheap- I like the Bros Johnson version of the song better- it is sorta disco-is but man, that slap bass sound is so good. The original version isn't as funky but the Shuggie album, as a whole, is great.
                    Also the early Terry Reid records seem to be getting harder to find. Good production, good sounds, and man, he had a voice.
                    Paul Rodgers is touring now with a homage to Free- I picked up the record (actually did a download); it isn't as good as hearing the original band, but he's another one who hasn't lost his voice- kind of amazing he still has "it." I wouldn't mind catching that show, but he's not coming to Austin.
                    Atomic Rooster- Death Walks Behind You - is really good. The original pressings are nutty money now.
                    Ken got me on to Wishbone Ash through the album Argus. But I also picked up their first album, which is a little more primitive and I seem to play that one more. UK MCA.

If 'audiophile music' can be labeled a genre, it's that. defined as recordings produced to exhibit the highest fidelity possible at the expense of musical merit. We all know it when we hear it and have to a greater or lesser degree tolerance to it. (im guilty as charged but use it only to evaluate changes in my system).
                  Linn Kilmax LP12 | Audio Research Ref Phono 2 SE | innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Working...
                  X