What exactly is World Music?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What exactly is World Music?

Here's a short article I thought I would share.

http://www.oscarvandillen.com/tools_...s/world_music/

Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

I would agree with the article. The composer David Amram devoted a lot of his time to music of the world late in his career. When I was in my late teens and early twenties and still in music school I had no interest. Now in my sixties I have interest and own some music in this broad genre.
    TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; iFi Phono 2; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; Hovland HP-100; Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by 1morerecord2clean View Post
      I would agree with the article. The composer David Amram devoted a lot of his time to music of the world late in his career. When I was in my late teens and early twenties and still in music school I had no interest. Now in my sixties I have interest and own some music in this broad genre.
      Can you list a few of those?

How would you classify artists like Loreena McKennitt or even Enya? I've seen both World Music and New Age labels attached.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
        Here's a short article I thought I would share.

http://www.oscarvandillen.com/tools_...s/world_music/
        I guess for me it's music from other countries utilizing different, non-traditional Western musical structures. (after all countries are just an arbitrary designation.)

One famous song that drew for example from "world music" was Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" from his album Time Out. (that is actually 3+2/5 as I understand).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Take_Five

You also have "Blue Rondo a la Turk" also from that album that derives its musical structure from those Turkish street musicians. Here you have a structure of 2+2+2+3 interspersed with 3+3+3 measure (9/4).

Not to mention the influence of Indian music on the Beatles. And so on and so on.....
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges, van den Hul Colibri Stradivarius; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
          Johnny Vinyl commented
          Editing a comment
          Add to that some of the works from Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon, Ry Cooder, etc.

I wouldn't include anything other than non traditional western music in the category. So for example, I wouldn't include western music incorporating rhythms or harmonies from the world category such as Mozart operas and symphonies or Jazz like the Brazilian rage of the 60 and 70s. There have been many periods in western culture which have used elements of other cultures in their arts. To me it's a perversion of sorts and not part of the subject. I would include Traditional Asian music, Fado, Flamenco, to name a few.
        TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; iFi Phono 2; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; Hovland HP-100; Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones.

Comment

I wouldn't include anything other than non traditional western music in the category. So for example, I wouldn't include western music incorporating rhythms or harmonies from the world category such as Mozart operas and symphonies or Jazz like the Brazilian rage of the 60 and 70s. There have been many periods in western culture which have used elements of other cultures in their arts. To me it's a perversion of sorts and not part of the subject. I would include Traditional Asian music, Fado, Flamenco, to name a few.
          Ok but Turkey is a gateway to many cultures. And again, countries are an artificial construct.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Ortofon A95, Charisma Reference 2 cartridges, van den Hul Colibri Stradivarius; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Ok but Turkey is a gateway to many cultures. And again, countries are an artificial construct.
            To me it isn't so much about cultures but the scales employed, form, harmony, instruments used , etc. BTW, I know that you Myles know that in the great melting pot, USA, culture and the arts are evolving and where it all goes will be anybody's guess musically speaking. Socially too.

Comment

Peter Gabriel is a big proponent of the world music genre.
              Christian
              System Tour
              System Gear

Comment

To me it isn't so much about cultures but the scales employed, form, harmony, instruments used , etc. BTW, I know that you Myles know that in the great melting pot, USA, culture and the arts are evolving and where it all goes will be anybody's guess musically speaking. Socially too.

I totally agree and that's what I was trying to point out above. But it comes back in some ways to a premise in Daniel Levitan's first book This is Your Brain on Music that society and music are inseparable ("even the most primitive societies have music"). Hence almost all (?all) all cultures have their own form of music.

Comment

There is a very funny bit that was caught on video some years ago when Tommy Tedesco (one of the guitarists who made up the notorious Wrecking Crew) was filmed giving a pro-guitar workshop. He explained that he got a call from a film producer/music director who needed some Bolivian music for a scene shot in the mountains involving country people. Tommy then demonstrates to his workshop the riff he provided. Then, Tommy says, I get a call from a guy who needs some Mexican bandito music. Tommy then proceeds to play exactly the same riff to his audience. Then, Tommy says, somebody needs Spanish bullfighting music. Same lick.
                  We will go hear David Lindley later this week. He will play a variety of instruments from around the world- http://www.davidlindley.com/instruments.html He can pull amazing sounds- Indian, Turkish, African, Russian to American homespun-- from these things, but to me, it's his technique and his genius that make it fascinating and different. One of the early proponents of world music, commercially, was Chris Blackwell. Having grown up part of the time in Jamaica, and having been hugely successful with Bob Marley--turning reggae from an exotic, Caribbean flavored niche into a a widely recognized style of "rock," he went on to explore and support a variety of other performers, lesser known, from Africa and other parts of the world. When you listen to some of the Dead Can Dance stuff, they are blending a variety of motifs and cultural styles into something that almost defies definition.
                  Last edited by Bill Hart; 04-11-2016, 07:48 AM.

Comment

The best description I've heard is it's "international music", like "International House of Pancakes." :-)

Larry
                    Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
                    Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
                    Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
                    Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                    Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                    Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
                    Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah but as you get older, you grow out of IHOP!

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

But "homeland" may not be.
                    Last edited by tima; 05-07-2016, 11:52 PM.
                    Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata ╬×tron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

I always thought of World music to be any non-Western music genre.
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                      X