Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you rank Pink Floyd's DSOTM and LATER albums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you rank Pink Floyd's DSOTM and LATER albums?

Now that we ranked the PRE-DSOTM albums I thought we'd continue with the remaining 8 studio albums. I'll list them in chronological order and include my own ranking in ().

Dark Side Of The Moon (1)
    Wish You Were Here (2)
    Animals (3)
    The Wall (5)
    The Final Cut (7)
    A Momentary Lapse Of Reason (6)
    The Division Bell (4)
    The Endless River (8)

Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Wish You Were Here (3)
    Animals (4)
    The Wall (2)
    The Final Cut (5)
    The Division Bell (7)
    The Endless River (haven't heard it)

Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
      Wish You Were Here (3)
      Animals (4)
      The Wall (2)
      The Final Cut (5)
      The Division Bell (7)
      The Endless River (haven't heard it)
      It's basically a tribute album by Gilmour for Rick Wright's contributions. Very ambient and one either likes it or dismisses it. Played it a few times and as a PF fan I'm glad I have it, but it won't and doesn't see a lot of play.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

1 Wish you Were Here
        2. DSOTM
        3 The Wall
        4 Endless River
        (stopped buying all their records after Wish You Were Here, was given a copy of the Wall and Endless River.)
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low Output, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 26, Tidal HiFi and Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage with TKD 10K pot, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet
        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics Digital Standard xxv USB, Belkin PureAV.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

Wish You Were Here (2)
          Animals (3)
          The Wall (4)

Indifferent about the later releases.
          Christian
          System Gear

Comment

Wish You Were Here - The last what I consider to be a Pink Floyd album. Increasingly afterwards Roger Waters dismal outlook flavored the remaining output, and the following albums became progressively less interesting.

Comment

I rated all the waters lineup LPs higher up than the LPs minus waters.
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                Johnny Vinyl commented
                Editing a comment
                I noticed that!

Although I wasn't overly impressed with the first or second listen of The Endless River, I've begun to revisit the album and must say I quite enjoy it now. It's a great album for late night listening, perhaps the last album to be played that night. It's very ambient, but flows really well and has this ability (for me anyway) to let me unwind and empty my mind of the days thoughts. Very relaxing.

Comment

The best Pink Floyd album since DSOTM was not done by Pink Floyd.

Check out the Norwegian band Airbag:

https://airbagsound.bandcamp.com/track/homesick-i-iii
                PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
                www.lasercd.com
                www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

Musically, of course:

The Wall (2)
                  Wish You Were Here (3)
                  Animals (4)
                  Echos (greatest hits) (5)
                  Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

I don't know. I have to revisit. I kind of burned out on Dark Side along time ago, which is more about me than the album--got to a point where I almost wasn't hearing it, it was so familiar (does that make sense?). I bought good copies of all the early ones at one point, along with a minty first UK of Wish and had an earlier Japanese of The Wall. Another way to spend a few days....Thanks for reminding me. BTW, I happened to see that an Abbey Road recording console from Ye Olde Days (Beatles) is available. No price. Have no idea how long it has been on the market.

Comment

While I guess I understand the "I haven't heard it," response to The Endless River, I must differ with the "indifference" or really low rating as a response. The album is, to me, a Pink Floyd listener since The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (I still own my original...), a masterwork, easily placing above The Division Bell, or even A Momentary Lapse.... It is a bit of a departure, more like Meddle than perhaps any other work. At times vaguely reminiscent of a Vangelis soundtrack, it has a haunting familiarity to it, you know immediately this is work from the Floyd, and is a showcase of some of the bands most brilliant playing and composition. It is meant to be listened to as a whole, with no "hit" type songs offered up as such. I simply cannot envision a Floyd collection as even remotely complete without its inclusion.
                      Greg Weaver - Senior Writer, The Absolute Sound - Kronos Sparta/Helena tonearm/Air Tight PC-1 cartridge, Hegel HD30 DAC, VAC Statement 450i iQ, Constellation Inspiration 1.0 Linestage/Inspiration 1.0 Stereo's biamped, DSA Pre 1, DSA Phono II or ModWright PH-150 Reference, VSA ULTRA 9's, VSA VR-55 Aktives, Stealth Śakra and Audience Au24 SX signal cables, Stealth Dream V14 speaker cables, Audience Au24 USB, Audience Au24 powerChords. Audience aR12 Conditioner, Grand Prix Audio Monaco stands

Comment

Originally posted by lasercd View Post
                        The best Pink Floyd album since DSOTM was not done by Pink Floyd.

Check out the Norwegian band Airbag:

https://airbagsound.bandcamp.com/track/homesick-i-iii
                        Interesting band and great production, but alas, they are not the Floyd.

Comment

• JCOConnell
                          JCOConnell commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The Floyd is over. They haven't been the Floyd since the wall. (Final Cut was a Waters solo album and the rest were without him.).

• mkuller
                          mkuller commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I've heard a couple of pretty good Pink Floyd cover bands. There's Brit Pink Floyd, Australian Pink Floyd and even a local band I've seen called House of Floyd that does a pretty good job.

• theaudioanalyst
                          theaudioanalyst commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd have to disagree...just because Roger Waters left doesn't mean the musical heart and soul of "The Pink Floyd Sound" is no more... Don't misunderstand me -- I LOVE Rogers solo work... See my first Guilty Treasure article "Guilty Treasure: Roger Waters Amused to Death" - http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue18/waters.htm. But, the band we know as Pink Floyd would not have had the import it had sans Rick Wright, Nick Mason, and especially David Gilmour's guitar contributions.

Don't listen to Pink Floyd as much as I used to. Really liked the early stuff (before they turned all angst-laden with "heavy social messages"): Piper, Saucerful, Atom Heart Mother, Obscured by Clouds.

From the later records I'd pick Momentary Lapse of Reason.

Comment

I like the Pink Floyd Back Catalog.
                          Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
                          Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
                          Phono 1: VPI Prime Signature Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Uni-pivot Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
                          Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fat Boy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
                          R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
                          Digital: Battery Powered Laptop running software on SSD, Music Files on USB SSD, and playback by JRMC. USB interface to M2Tech Young DAC
                          Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
                          Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
                          Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

• lasercd
                            lasercd commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Relics compilation

• Johnny Vinyl
                            Johnny Vinyl commented
                            Editing a comment
                            The girl representing The Wall has a lovely hip/bottom ratio. Just sayin'. Carry on!

• theaudioanalyst
                            theaudioanalyst commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Johnny, I'm rather fond of the Atom Heart Mother blond, the DSotM brunette, the Wish You Were Here redhead, and the Animals brunette...not necessarily in that order, but those four really caught my eye! ;-)
                        Working...
                        X