Clear All

• New Peter Gabriel 45 rpm Reissues

Anybody bite?

Click image for larger version

Name:	RWRLP4340-45-Large.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	21813

"...if you listen to the 45rpm 1/2-speed remasters that we've done, PG 1, 2, 3 or 4, it's as good as listening to the original master tapes, perhaps in some places perhaps even more pleasurable listening..." - Matt Colton, Alchemy Mastering
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Where are these available for purchase?

Never mind I just pre ordered the So 2 album set from Amazon.
    Marty

Comment

us and up in the house.
      Realworld are sending me replacements for the dogeard covers but apart from that I am looking forward to hearing these.
      Attached Files

Comment

Isnt "So" a digital master? (1986)
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't know. They are saying there are from the analog tapes. What happens from there is anyone's guess but sure they have been digitized. But that doesn't have to be the end of the world done properly. For instance Blade Runner or NY at the Cellar Door are digital and pretty good.

• JCOConnell
          JCOConnell commented
          Editing a comment
          considering its vintage, -So- might be a 16 bit digital master not an analog master.

us and up in the house.
        Realworld are sending me replacements for the dogeard covers but apart from that I am looking forward to hearing these.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0440.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	21839

Comment

If you have originals from when they were originally released, let us know how they compare. Would consider getting 1 through 4 if they are really well done.
            Steve Lefkowicz
            Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
            -
            Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
            Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
            Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
            Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
            Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
            Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
            Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
            Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
            Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Lefkowicz View Post
              If you have originals from when they were originally released, let us know how they compare. Would consider getting 1 through 4 if they are really well done.
              Hi steve i got his firs 4 albums as 45rpm reissue cuts when they came out. The soundquality is stelar and not comparable to any original copy I have been able to lay my hands on. The soundstage and Bass is the area that gained the most for me. I need to stress one thing though; If you are a lucky owner of the classic records reissues I dont see why you would be considering these. Alas I am not. And if you take the price the classics go for I dont see why there should be any comparison made at all.

BTW: I have a spare sealed PG 2 45rpm halfspeed master reissue if you are interested.

Comment

I'm happy with my originals and many people are, but there are also many who prefer these 45rpm remasters. I think if one doesn't own the originals then these would be a nice addition to one's collection. I agree with Billy when he states that if you already own the CR pressings these really shouldn't be considered....you already have the best versions. I do think that these are going to hold their value and appreciate over time, so I'm toying with the idea of getting them.
                Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I have the Classic Records reissues of the Gabriel era Genesis, but not the Gabriel solo LPs. All my Gabriel LPs are originals, mostly purchased from the first batch that arrived in my local record store way back when...
                  Steve Lefkowicz
                  -
                  Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
                  Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
                  Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
                  Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
                  Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
                  Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

For those who bought these...any opinions to share on sound quality?
                    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

I stopped by a Barnes and Noble over the weekend that had the first five of these for $37.99 each. Almost bought PG4, but balked at the price, since I have an original English import of it now, as well as the DSD files on my server. Waiting for someone who has originals and the new releases to chime in.
                      Steve Lefkowicz
                      -

Comment

I ordered SO from Music Direct yesterday. They are having a 20% off music sale that brought the price down to $30.

Comment

I am huge fan of PG. I've got all the original pressings.

I got the first batch of the reissues several months ago and compared them to the original pressings. I reckon that the reissues though digital remastering are way better than the original vinyls I bought long time ago (I was still a teenager).

I just got back from my usual brick and mortar retailer with So and Us. My retailer had to return all the Up's he received as one of the discs was seriously warped. he showed me two copies he still had, I could not believe what I saw.

I have the 25th anniversary So boxset which comprises a 33 RPM version. I will compare the 33 RPM vs. the 45 RPM versions and report back.

Comment

Originally posted by dcc View Post
                            I am huge fan of PG. I've got all the original pressings.

I got the first batch of the reissues several months ago and compared them to the original pressings. I reckon that the reissues though digital remastering are way better than the original vinyls I bought long time ago (I was still a teenager).

+1

I listen to Us and Up th other night. I dont have original copys of these so can only compare them to digital. The difference is not as big as with PG 1-4 but still noticable and certainly worth while as it si hard to get nay other vinyl version anyway.

BTW:
                            If you want a superlative demo disc for Bass reproduction the UP is the one for you!

Comment

Working...
                            X