Janis Ian Between the Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Janis Ian Between the Lines

Came across this review today on Bill's website while searching out a copy of Between the Lines. Must-have rating from Bill! Anyone heard the Boxstar pressing vs. the standard issue?
    Janis Ian, Between the Lines, "At Seventeen," Brooks Arthur, Robert Ludwig, Columbia Records, vinyl, vinyl LP, great songwriters, great recordings
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Myles- if you remember, that comparison--where I complained about the sound of the reissue-- is what prompted Janis to register at WBF and weigh in, explaining that she really didn't have control over the licensing.
    What's even stranger is, Kevin Gray did that recut, and his work is almost always good. I found it flat and lifeless sounding compared to a standard issue. And knowing that you'll think it's me- and my 'thing' for old pressings, two other people happened to be in the room when i put it on- neither were impressed- one thought the VTA was "off." I pulled out one of the standard copies, and voila, the magic was there. Go figure....

postscript: that review was written before i interviewed Brooks about the making of the album: http://thevinylpress.com/the-art-of-...brooks-arthur/
    (Right now, given some tweaks being made to my site, some stuff shows current dates, not the date of first publication. I am fixing those on an ad hoc basis, and hadn't gotten to correctly re-dating the review).

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for clearing that up! Yes, remember Janis weighing in, didn't remember it was that album. I'll look for an early original than.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...ight=janis+ian

• regnaD kciN
      regnaD kciN commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting -- I've heard people raving about the BoxStar CD, but the parts I've heard of it didn't knock me out.

On the other hand, since this thread first appeared, there have been reissued versions of Janis's Columbia albums, including this one, produced by Steve Berkowitz, engineered by Mark Wilding, and overseen by Janis. As I understand it, these have been remastered from the original tapes, transferred using a Studer deck (because those involved concluded the sonic results were better than on the Ampex machine they normally used), and have been issued on both LP (with a bonus download code) and 24/192 files. I'll leave it to those with better LP playback systems than I to comment on the vinyl version, but the hi-res downloads, overall, sound great, albeit with a couple of moments of noticeable tape degradation.

Short video on the remaster:
      https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1p-cSbRTXS.mp4

Great review of Between the Lines Bill! Now I must find an original pressing. Janis Ian sings like an angel.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      You wont regret it! It's awesome in every way!

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      Mep- they are readily available, the originals should be RLs, I have found a few still sealed for under 30 bucks. I don't think I paid more for that test/approval pressing either.
Working...
X