This Boggles My Mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Boggles My Mind

Why in the world would you release a 45 rpm reissue on one record? What were they thinking? Gotta be so dynamically compressed as to be ridiculous. Reminds me of the awful Doxy/Goldinote Gil Evans Out of the Cool 45 rpm one record reissue. Compressed and bright. DMM.
    1972 Album Reissued on 45rpm LP! Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time - Rated 90/500! Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Songs of All Time - You Are The Sunshine Of My Life - Rated 287/500! Talking Book is the fifteenth album by Stevie Wonder, released on October 28, 1972. A signal recording of his classic period, in this one he hit his stride. The album's first track, You Are The Sunshine Of My Life, hit #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 and Easy Listening charts, then earned Wonder his first Grammy Award, for Best Male Pop Vocal Performance. The album's first single, Superstition, also hit #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 and Hot Soul Singles charts. What had been hinted at on the intriguing project Music of My Mind was here focused into a laser beam of tight songwriting, warm electronic arrangements, and ebullient performances -- altogether the most realistic vision of musical personality ever put to wax...Like no other Stevie Wonder LP before it, Talking Book is all of a piece, the first unified statement of his career...imitating life, it veers breathtakingly from love to heartbreak and back with barely a pause. - John Bush, allmusic.com Features: • 45rpm • Lyrics • Gatefold Jacket Selections: Side A: 1. You Are The Sunshine Of My Life 2. Maybe Your Baby 3. You And I (We Can Conquer The World) 4. Tuesday Heartbreak 5. You've Got It Bad Girl Side B: 6. Superstition 7. Big Brother 8. Blame It On The Sun 9. Lookin For Another Pure Love 10. I Believe (When I Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

agreed, must be dreck. The Mofi silver label vinyl release of talking book was abysmal. you can find a NM copy of the Tamla 1st press all day long for under $20, that's what Id get.
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

There's a new generation of clueless vinyl newcomers who'll buy it!
      david
      Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
      Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
      Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

The only thing missing is mentioning it is 180gm. That alone generally guarantees sound quality - not

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Turkey to Eagle Cartoon.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	34555
          Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
          Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
          Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
          Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
          R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
          Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
          Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
          Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
          Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
            agreed, must be dreck. The Mofi silver label vinyl release of talking book was abysmal. you can find a NM copy of the Tamla 1st press all day long for under $20, that's what Id get.
            I have yet to find a "great" sounding copy of Talking Book. The Tamla- at least the one I have (or had) is boxed in sounding, I thought the MoFi pretty good, but neither any where near the old Ken Duncan masterings on Tamla (unfortunately, he only did Innervisions and Fulfillingness among the S. Wonder records from the peak era AFAIK). I'll give my Tamla of Book another listen--maybe just a bad copy, but I seem to remember that a lot of the original Tamlas were pretty "wooly" sounding.
            Always dug "I Believe" on that record.

Comment

I have a 1972 original / 2008 reissue 180g (still sealed) / 2011 MoFi Silver. My 72 is a bit long in the tooth, so I usually play the MoFi. I should open up the 2008 I suppose. I thought the MoFi was fine and I enjoy it.
              Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

I have yet to find a "great" sounding copy of Talking Book. The Tamla- at least the one I have (or had) is boxed in sounding, I thought the MoFi pretty good, but neither any where near the old Ken Duncan masterings on Tamla (unfortunately, he only did Innervisions and Fulfillingness among the S. Wonder records from the peak era AFAIK). I'll give my Tamla of Book another listen--maybe just a bad copy, but I seem to remember that a lot of the original Tamlas were pretty "wooly" sounding.
                Innervisions might be the exception. The sound is just a notch below reference. The Tamla is great ( in fact so good, it caused me to seek out the tape), the MOFI is good and the tape is pretty sensational. Marred only by a little brightness. And in this case, a little brightness isn't like being a little pregnant. Listen to the tape of Innervisions and you will be blown away how good Stevie was on all the instruments!. Living in the City will blow your mind! You will hear stuff never knew was on the recording. And his band could play the funk.

BTW it looks like George Marino mastered at least the early releases of Innervisions.
                Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

• Bill Hart
                  Bill Hart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BTW, you played the tape for me at your place. It was impressive!

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  More than ever with all the changes to the system: pre, tapestage, cables, speakers.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Innervisions might be the exception. The sound is just a notch below reference. The Tamla is great ( in fact so good, it caused me to seek out the tape), the MOFI is good and the tape is pretty sensational. Marred only by a little brightness. And in this case, a little brightness isn't like being a little pregnant. Listen to the tape of Innercisions and you will be blown away how good Stevie was on all the instruments!. Living in the City will blow your mind! You will hear stuff never knew was on the recording. And his band could play the funk.
                My bet is, if you like your vinyl copy of Innervisions, it probably has a "Kendun" stamped on the deadwax.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                  MylesBAstor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hmmmm...not that I could see.

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

i don't think i'm having a Tom Port moment (blanket condemnation of all reissues) i'll have to check the matrix on my Tamla pressing and get back to you. I think Audio Fidelity did a much better job with the gold RBCD of talking book than mobile did with the vinyl, the Audio Fidelity RBCD of Innervisions is excellent too.
                TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Working...
                X