Bowie's Best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowie's Best?

By far my favorite Bowie album! Wakeman was amazing on piano and IIRC, chose to join Yes after this album. Played Hunky Dory to death in college!
    Read how David Bowie's 1971 American promo tour inspired the singer-songwriter's major artistic breakthrough on 'Hunky Dory.'
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

and Mick Ronson. Did you mention Mick Ronson?
    I don't think of myself as a big Bowie fan, always liked Ziggy, because of -yep, Mick Ronson.
    Man Who Sold the World (album)- it's probably Bowie's hardest rocking album- kinda dirty sounding-great record too.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I always thought The Man Who Sold the World was under rated.

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      Worth revisiting- it got a bump when Nirvana covered it. Pressings are tough--first UK is very rare- on Mercury, with the so-called "dress" cover- the US one has a cool cover, like a cartoon, but I gather the sonics aren't great. I found a first japanese pressing with the "kick cover" i.e., released after he went to RCA, that sounds good and wasn't crazy money.
      Hunky Dory- i didn't want to spend the money for a UK first, which is pretty hefty these days-- Bobil/Rasputin 3T, but bought a slightly later UK; recently got the EMI Centenary 100, which was mastered from tape--these are rare--it sounds brighter and more modern than the old pressing- haven't been able to compare it to a UK first, but I'm glad I got it. You don't see them very often.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn't forget Mick! His son Mark is also a musician and producer.

Have to admit that I think he only did one good album. Ever.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	scary.jpeg
Views:	131
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	36050

Comment

I'm not a huge Bowie fan but I probably like a song or two from most of his albums. "Let's Dance" is my favorite because it is has some excellent songs, it's a pretty good recording and it features Stevie Ray Vaughn on guitar before he left to start his solo career.
      Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

My top 5: Hunky Dory, Low, Station to Station, Heroes and The Man Who Sold the World

Comment

I love the unplugged Seles of most artists. The sound on this one is very good as most are. I never was a Bowie fan
          don't know why
          analog stuff.
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
          otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
          sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
          new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
          thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
          thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
          kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
          phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
          speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
          mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
          digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Mortsnets View Post
            My top 5: Hunky Dory, Low, Station to Station, Heroes and The Man Who Sold the World
            What? No Aladdin Sane? That has to be his second best album.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Bowie had so many different phases to his career that it's nearly impossible to choose his best works. Merely choosing one's favorites is sufficiently challenging. In no particular order, my five current faves are Low, Heroes, Diamond Dogs, Ziggy, Lodger. This list varies day to day.
              Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
              Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
              Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
              Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen to that brother!

You can tell I am a fan of the original Ziggy Stardust!

My top picks would be:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
              Hunky Dory
              Aladdin Sane
              Pinups
              Let's Dance

with a passing nod to:

Tonight
              Heroes
              Diamond Dogs

Comment

• jonathanb
                jonathanb commented
                Editing a comment
                One's favorite Bowie albums seems to be a strong indicator of when one was in their high school/college years.

• mkuller
                mkuller commented
                Editing a comment
                I'd say that's pretty much the same with any music and where our favorites come from. Some of us never grow up.

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                You hit the nail on the head! :LOL: And maybe the rest of the music too? Mott the Hoople, Lou Reed, Brian Auger, etc?

While I like all the classic Bowie albums from the 70's, my favorite is Ziggy Stardust...
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I to this day hate many high-school and college music from radio over play. Take Fleetwood Mac or even Clapton so over played I have to force myself to play it now . The bowie stuff I like is all,over that map too. The disco error is less than my favorite.
                analog stuff.
                new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• mkuller
                  mkuller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  In the late 1970s and early 1980s I too hated disco as an abomination to rock an roll. But then my wife who loves it came along and I've softened on it a lot. Some of my favorites of the genre now are Earth, Wind an Fire, the Commodores, KC and the Sunshine Band - I can even listen tot he Bee Gees now.

I was a DJ for a while. Tramps ruled. A my man BARRY white
                analog stuff.
                Dacs lampi various

Comment

• mkuller
                  mkuller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Walrus of Love!

Lucky to see the Low/Heroes tour way back in the late 80s. One half was a sort of best of and the other half was Low/Heroes. Pretty much love all his music as it spans so many different genres/. Well, except Lodger. Not a fan. great band too!

David Bowie – vocals, chamberlin
                Adrian Belew – lead guitar, backing vocals
                Carlos Alomar – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
                George Murray – bass guitar, backing vocals
                Dennis Davis – drums, percussion
                Roger Powell – keyboards, Moog Taurus bass pedals, synthesizer, backing vocals (except 11–14 November 1978)
                Dennis Garcia – keyboards, synthesizer (11–14 November 1978 only)
                Sean Mayes – piano, string ensemble, backing vocals
                Simon House – electric violin
                Dave Clark
                Editor and Publisher, Positive Feedback
                www.positive-feedback.com

Comment

Few artists have been as consistently innovative as David Bowie, which to me makes it quite impossible to name an absolute favourite. Strange as it may seem to many, the one album I play more than any other is Young Americans. I simply equate it to my love for R&B/Soul. It has great production values and his voice just shines on this release. It's a happy, vibrant, effervescent musical delight.
                  Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

If you really like Young Americans, you need a copy of The Gouster which probably means buying the "Who Can I Be Now" box set. The Goucher is more pure R&B/Soul than YA.
                    Last edited by jonathanb; 01-11-2017, 02:18 PM.
                    Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
                    Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
                    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
                      Johnny Vinyl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! Not really interested in buying the boxset though. Will have a listen on YouTube though!
                  Working...
                  X