Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So What Are Everyone's Favorite HI-Rez Digital Files?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Audiocrack View Post
    On whatsbestforum I started a while back a thread on Challenge Classics, a small Dutch based company that offers files in different formats. I order my files in 24/192 (for my Trinity digital combo) as well as in the dxd and dsd 256 formats (for my Lampizator Golden Gate and Lampizator dedicated server combination). I my view the various Challege Classics files belong to the very best available at the moment.

Have you heard the Yarlung or Opus 3 Quad DSD releases?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Actually I have. I have three Yarlung dsd 256 files available and one or two Opus 3 dsd 256 files (of the latter I have more dsd 128 files available btw). Also one Eudora dsd 256 file; the latter is unlike the Yarlung files an original dsd 256 recording. All these recordings sound very good indeed, in my view clearly better than redbook.

However, all those recordings are not large orchestral pieces, for me the most difficult music to reproduce realistically at home and a type of music I am particular fond of. That is the reason why I mentioned Challenge Classics.

Bert van der Wolf - maybe a few of you remember him as the recording engineer of ( the very good sounding) Turtle records that were released many moons ago - records a lot of big classical pieces. His recordings are original in dxd. See the www.spiritofturtle.com website for a technical explanation why he prefers to record in dxd and not in dsd.

Eg his latest (volume 2 of the) recording of the Prokofiev symphonies in dxd and dsd 256 sounds in my view beautiful as well as very impressive.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually I remember the Turtle Records because my old magazine Ultimate Audio was the first to review them over here. But IIRC the early releases were just small scale jazz ensembles. Guess he moved on!

Sure he did. Did you like Bert's Turtle recordings?

Btw, quite a number of the Turtle recordings are being made available in dsd 64 format on the afore mentioned spiritofturtle website.

One if them is for example the Dean Pear recording called "Think ..... It's all good". Stunningly good recorded. Listen for example to the track called Mars: on my Tidal LA's the explosive dynamics of that song are almost frightening.
      Last edited by Audiocrack; 04-10-2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Sure he did. Did you like Bert's Turtle recordings?

Btw, quite a number of the Turtle recordings are being made available in dsd 64 format on the afore mentioned spiritofturtle website.

One if them is for example the Dean Pear recording called "Think ..... It's all good". Stunningly good recorded. Listen for example to the track called Mars: on my Tidal LA's the explosive dynamics of that song are almost frightening.
        I had the Dean Peer recording but have no idea where it went.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Well, maybe it is time for a dsd 64 download?

Comment

Well, maybe it is time for a dsd 64 download?
            Possibly but not at the moment.

Comment

Myles, what is the best digital software you have ever heard, played backed in what format, on what system, and was it as good as analog in your opinion?
              Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Teac A3300SX R2R, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
                Myles, what is the best digital software you have ever heard, played backed in what format, on what system, and was it as good as analog in your opinion?
                OK I'm not as current as I should be but will be getting there. My references tend to also come from analog sources in many cases. And most, because I haven't had enough time to experiment widely comes with RBCD (note that I detailed some experiences with RBCD at Magico's last year and that we haven't heard all it can do either).

So some of my digital references:

Music for the Motherless Child (Water Lily)
                The Flirtations Live Out on the Road
                Fairfield Four Standing in the Safety Zone
                Holly Cole Tempation
                Sound of Rhythm Top Music
                Bela Fleck and the Flecktone Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
                Burmester Sampler discs 1-3
                Favorite Chinese Instrumental FIM
                Opus 3 samplers in 2X DSD
                Leonard Cohen Live in London

I really don't listen to large scale orchestral in digital because I think that's its biggest failing.

Whether digital is better or not than analog is really inconsequential and has been flogged to death: 1) Many people don't have the music library I do and won't; 2) Many listen to more new music than I do that's only available in digital; and 3) Let people be happy with what they listen to. People are adults and can make their own decisions.

That said, digital is clearly improving. Single DSD and 24/192 was a big step up in my opinion. That's why I am interested in hearing more quad DSD releases. Wouldn't it be great if these sources that would be about as close to the master as one could get in a digital file finally realized the potential of digital?

You should really ask Mark as he's had far more experience with DSD vs. analog than many.

Comment

After upgrading my D2A to a Bryston BDA-2 with a USB input, I resurrected a Mac Air and downloaded a few high-rez files to dip my toe in. One of the first ones I listened to sounded scary real and started a bing of downloads. The one that moved me the most was Elliot Carter's Cello Sonata on the 2L label. The instrumental texture and palpability was the best I've heard from digital.
                  http://www.hdtracks.com/chamber-musi...agments-192-24

Some of the others are merely good with a few seeming no better than Red Book CD.

Cheers,
                  Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
                    So has anyone given a listen to any of the new Quad DSD files from Yarlung (that Gary Koh sponsored), Opus 3, etc.?
                    The new Surround Sound DSD 256 release by the Yuko Mabuchi Trio is very good.
                    https://yarlungrecords.nativedsd.com...o-mabuchi-trio

Comment

Working...
                    X