Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Are Your Favorite Percussion Recordings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrisfromri
    commented on 's reply
    deleted
    Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM.

• lasercd
    replied
    Just got this. Its f’n crazy.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	99E9231D-12DA-4736-824F-051AA1815BD9.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	117884

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    commented on 's reply
    Is the Stairway youre talking about the classic studio version, or an alternate live version or what?

• JCOConnell
    commented on 's reply
    I was gonna bring this one up, you beat me to it.

• chrisfromri
    replied
    deleted
    Last edited by chrisfromri; 06-24-2019, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    I picked these up last weekend at THE Show in Long Beach. I hadn't seen Tony Minasian in ages until I stumbled onto his modest booth at the far corner of the sellers marketplace. I usually dont take a complete lap of these places this time I'm glad I did. He showed--and played me-- three recordings he's done over the last few years transferred to RBCD, however one is actually a CDR. Nonetheless the SQ IS STELLAR, Id describe the music as avant garde, I bought all three. Percussion sounds and percussive instruments are prominently highlighted on most tracks. Its in-the-room-live type of realism you only get from 30 IPS tape and D2D records. I recommend them highly within the genre of "test recordings"

Tony doesn't have a distributor, besides direct sales from his website a couple of high-end dealers carry his CDs. He can sell you the files I don't know if they're hi-res or not.

http://tonianlabs.com/

Click image for larger version  Name:	20190615_153341_resized.jpg Views:	0 Size:	208.7 KB ID:	117812

Leave a comment:

• seamonster
    commented on 's reply
    "...including the gamelon from Indonesia."
    Twenty years ago, I bought one of these while in a freighter discharging in Tanjung Priok (Djakarta). The First assistant engineer had a didgeridoo, and the Third mate had a guitar. We used to jam together to "The Iguanas" CD I had with me. It worked! They were some light moments in a difficult voyage. Okay, sorry to interrupt.

• Jmwick
    replied
    Here is an oldie.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    I think Sid turned HP onto this album. Sid had the only system with his RS1bs capable of doing that recording justice. Especially when he had the cjs on the top and Krell on the bottom end! 😉

• astrotoy
    commented on 's reply
    Pulse was another TAS Superdisc 30 or so years ago. Lou Harrison lived in the Bay Area and we would see him attending concerts featuring his music. I remember much of his music having Asian influences, including the gamelon from Indonesia. Larry

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    Color me weird then. I ❤️ percussion LPs and they get plenty of spin time. I always play one for visitors. Pulse has been a reference for decades. 😉

• Rob
    commented on 's reply
    i have these and played the PULSE maybe twice (Classic reissue)...that's the thing about percussion records, you really only pull them out (mostly) when evaluating a new--to you-- component or when company is over...or at least that's when I seem to listen to these records.

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Can’t believe forgot these two gems! Both recorded at RCA's long gone Studio A. Anthony Salvatore for the first and Paul Goodman for second album. Goodman was known for his multi-making but here it works.

Pulse was also reissued by Classic. Perhaps Chad should try to get the tapes!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_181711.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	87554Click image for larger version

Name:	20180512_181722.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	87553

Leave a comment:

• Boltman92124
    commented on 's reply
    Boy, we used to spin that one late nights in college.

• MylesBAstor
    commented on 's reply
    Sorry, thought you referring to Super Percussion. Yes the Nonesuch’s were on HP’s list.
Working...
X