Audioraven's Favorite Recordings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audioraven's Favorite Recordings

I'd like to share recordings in my collection, with all of you, that are my favorites for their sonics, musical merit, or both. Some will be vinyl, but most will be CD's. I will start out with this Telarc Pipe Organ spectacular on vinyl. First two tracks are my favorite. There are some ground shaking pedal notes on this album. It was a Stereophile recording of the month years ago. Pics below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	organflp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	57369Click image for larger version

Name:	organblp.jpg
Size:	244.9 KB
ID:	57370

This Telarc recording is on CD. The first track is the standout. The opening Gong shot on Fanfare comes from out of nowhere and will make you jump out of your seat. Big Tympani notes follow and are deep and impactful.

Name:	telarcfanfare.jpg
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	57372

Comment

• JCOConnell
      JCOConnell commented
      Editing a comment
      I had (or still have ?) this one on Lp.

• Audioraven
      Audioraven commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool! I bet the vinyl version sounds sweet.

This one is a CD as well. Some nicely recorded guitars, good snap, twang and presence. Nice music to relax to as well.

Name:	whgs2.jpg
Size:	879.8 KB
ID:	57375

Comment

This is a great sounding CD. Old School Country music with closely mic'ed acoustic guitar. If you have a system that excels at vocal reproduction, you will love the sound of this album. Barton Hollow was also issued on vinyl and I would think it would be sonically stellar in that format.

Name:	civilwarsbh.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	57449

Comment

Thanks! Keep them coming!
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Some of you may know this CD, it is a bit of a classic in audiophile circles. The Pictures at an Exhibition portion is the standout on this one. Truly deep pedal notes from the longest pipes and very clean Organ tones set this apart from your run of the mill organ recording.

Name:	dorianpae.jpg
ID:	57470

Comment

This CD has a big warm and open sound to it. Lisa is a British Pop/R&B singer with a surprisingly strong voice. I can't explain why I dig it, I just do!

Name:	lisas.jpg
Size:	744.5 KB
ID:	57558

Comment

This CD is probably Fiona's least known outing (3rd album) and possibly the best sounding. There are some really interesting soundscapes created by Apple and company. First track is the most interesting to me. Her first two albums- Tidal and When The Pawn... are good sounding too. Each has their own flavor.

Name:	fionaem.jpg
Size:	888.2 KB
ID:	57560

Comment

This one is a Two-Channel SACD and not a Hybrid so you will have to have an SACD capable spinner to play it. If you are a fan of Rhapsody In Blue, you will dig this disc. This transfer to DSD manages to capture much of the analog magic that the late 50's into the 60's Stereo recordings had. Gershwin/Bernstein, what else needs to be said.

Name:	ribsacd.jpg
Size:	728.2 KB
ID:	57707

Comment

• JCOConnell
                  JCOConnell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  have this one on 7.5 ips R2R tape, except it doesn't have the grand canyon suite.

• Audioraven
                  Audioraven commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I imagine your tape sounds real good, too.

This vinyl is just a whole lot of fun. Not only does it sound great, but you have the legendary Avery Fisher telling you what to listen for between tracks.

Name:	HPIM0245.JPG
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	57712Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0246.JPG
Size:	286.2 KB
ID:	57713

Comment

I actually own this one on vinyl and CD. Both sound very good. This performance of T&F in D Minor is one of my favorites. Track 3 Largo is my favorite selection on this album.

Name:	dcorgan.jpg
Size:	834.6 KB
ID:	58079

Comment

Originally posted by Audioraven View Post
                    This Telarc recording is on CD. The first track is the standout. The opening Gong shot on Fanfare comes from out of nowhere and will make you jump out of your seat. Big Tympani notes follow and are deep and impactful.

Name:	telarcfanfare.jpg
ID:	57372
                    I found a sealed LP copy on ebay last year for $30. What a delight. And yes, biiiiiggg tympani wacks!

If you like Appalachian Spring Suite try The Moscow Sessions on Sheffield Labs TLP-1000 with Dimitri Kitayenko conducting the Moscow Philharmonic. This direct-to-disc recording was the outcome of an early effort at glasnost with the Sheffield team (Lincoln Mayorga and Doug Sax, etc.) and American conductor Lawrence Layton visiting Moscow in 1987?. There were 3LPs, bundled as a box and available separately. This was Sheffield at their height with superb performances and recording. The Russians had this huge bass drum that easily over powered the tympani.

sorry for the interruption ... now back to your thread :-)
                    Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

This CD is from the genre defying Rock/Metal trio known as Primus. Sound is big and bold. Possibly the best Primus album, sonically speaking. Also my favorite from a musical standpoint.

Name:	primuspb.jpg
Size:	971.8 KB
ID:	58266

Comment

This one is vinyl, and great sounding as well. The LP version of Tom's Diner is a solo voice recording, not the poppy remix most of us are familiar with. The lyrics actually stop short on the remixed hit. My favorite selection on Solitude Standing, is Calypso, a mellow put you in a different place song.

Name:	HPIM0253.JPG
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	58620Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0254.JPG
Size:	235.5 KB
ID:	58621

Comment

• Ki Choi
                          Ki Choi commented
                          Editing a comment
                          One of my favs as well. it is one of the quietest non-fancy commercial LPs I own with min surface noise. Tom's Diner was the track the MP3 project team had used to compare original analog to its encoded proximity.

Have you heard this?

Name:	Tom's Album.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	58636

Comment

• Audioraven
                          Audioraven commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm aware of it, but haven't actually heard it. Is it worth a listen?

• Joe Pittman
                          Joe Pittman commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It's a lot of fun. You can hear it on Tidal.
                      Working...
                      X