Audioraven's Favorite Recordings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tima View Post

I found a sealed LP copy on ebay last year for $30. What a delight. And yes, biiiiiggg tympani wacks!

If you like Appalachian Spring Suite try The Moscow Sessions on Sheffield Labs TLP-1000 with Dimitri Kitayenko conducting the Moscow Philharmonic. This direct-to-disc recording was the outcome of an early effort at glasnost with the Sheffield team (Lincoln Mayorga and Doug Sax, etc.) and American conductor Lawrence Layton visiting Moscow in 1987?. There were 3LPs, bundled as a box and available separately. This was Sheffield at their height with superb performances and recording. The Russians had this huge bass drum that easily over powered the tympani.

sorry for the interruption ... now back to your thread :-)
    Tim, the moscow sessions were not D2D, keith Johnson of Reference Recording fame engineered them in collaboration with Sheffield. they used Wilson's Ultramaster R2R deck to capture the historic sessions. nonetheless the SQ is spectacular on those LPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

Tim, the moscow sessions were not D2D, keith Johnson of Reference Recording fame engineered them in collaboration with Sheffield. they used Wilson's Ultramaster R2R deck to capture the historic sessions. nonetheless the SQ is spectacular on those LPs.
      My mind said Sheffield Labs and my fingers typed d-2-d. Thanks for catching that! I won't even bother to look at my box. :-) I'm vaguely recalling the d2d albums are prefixed with 'Lab' - I think Larry told me that - and the Moscow Sessions are not. On the same side as Copland's 'Suite', is Shosty's Festive Overture - a fine performance also with big drums at the end, a real plate spinner worth hearing for one of the (if not the) most challenging clarinet parts a musician will find.
      Spkr: Wilson Alexias; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 1.5; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata ╬×tron Anaconda PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton II, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class XL plus2 amp stands, Stillpoints 5s under spkrs; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Here is another Telarc CD I am a big fan of. Yes, I like Pipe Organ. Great sounding and great performances. I really like Track 7.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mmbo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,002.1 KB
ID:	59758

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing like a good organ recording that moves some air!
      Working...
      X