Caribbean - Reggae - Dub Music

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caribbean - Reggae - Dub Music

Time to tend my library. I've decided to start a separate category and in the past have just randomly picked up some recordings & filed them under Roots - Blues - Soul - Funk. I now want to examine & cull the herd while exploring more possibilities in this category, Please post your favs & recommendations or just follow along for your own amusement. Thanks to all for contributing in advance.

Congos, Heart of the Congo - Blood & Fire- (not the Simply Vinyl version of the Blood & Fire). Lee Perry put together the most eclectic recording of some of the best players and singers on the island, mon. In his little studio, using a Teac 3340, with tons of processing and track dumping. It's a killer.
    Toots and the Maytals Funky Kingston- US and UK editions are different tracks.
    Marley- the best way in is to find the German pressed UK box from 1982- it gives you almost the complete body of Marley's work on Island save for his last album, the pressing quality is better than the original Island UKs and you can get the set (make sure it has the certificate and book) for far less than the original Island UK pressings.
    Blood & Fire also issued some compilations of dub plates- which are rare. In Jamaica before reggae broke as commercial music beyond the island, mon, the real action was house parties and street parties where these guys would roll huge sound systems and DJ- they would be famous for their mixes- cut to vinyl. They weren't meant for commercial sale, more just to feed these monster sound systems. So, look at Coxonne Dodd who is considered the grandfather of these mixers; Lee Perry learned at his feet, but then the music changed, from Caribbean and ska to something more political and harder- reggae.
    Burning Spear-Marcus Garvey.
    Blackheart Man- Bunny Wailer.
    Jimmy Cliff- The Harder They Come.
    U Roy- Dread in a Babylon.
    You generally do not want the Jamaican pressings (except the original pressing of the Congos record can be worth a fortune, but the Blood & Fire on that one is the way to go- I know, i had 1/2 dozen pressing here at one point).

More later.
    Last edited by Bill Hart; 11-27-2017, 09:51 PM.

Comment

• Spla'nin
      Spla'nin commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bill, you got me sound checking my Marley's. Three of the four are Tuff Gong ILPS. I'll keep an eye out for your box recommendation and the others. Has any body reissued the early Beverley Melodians Rivers or Toots Sweet & Dandy that you know of?

Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

Bill, Thanks for the heads up & reminder on the compilations available. Here is the beginning of some that I have picked up.

The "King" Kong compilation LP - Beverley / Mango MLPS 9832 mono - "historic reggae recordings 1968-1970"

The sound is very good on this and reminds me I need to keep working on upgrading my mono front end.
    Last edited by Spla'nin; 12-01-2017, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hail Him - Burning Spear.png
Views:	1
Size:	475.1 KB
ID:	71993

One of maybe 3 in my colleciton.
      Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

David Lindley once said at a show, "you can make any song a reggae song" and proceeded to demonstrate solo'ing on a vintage Hawaian guitar. Rasta men cool. I also dig the insanity of Bad Brains, some serious fusion guys, Rasta, who decided to go punk. They could turn on a dime. If you don't have a copy of "I Against I" you are missing some cool shit.
        "Sacred Love"- vocal part recorded over phone from jail. In their heyday, these guys could play. Even if you don't like punk, it is worth checking out. Cause it's not anti-music played by incompetents; just the opposite. Heavy shit.

Comment

• Spla'nin
          Spla'nin commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll check it out, I like to think I have a wide comfort zone. In that same vein only strong bass guitar & from that same era, 7 Year Bitch - Viva Zapata! is a good play also.

Some would call this roots reggae

Sweet Sensation by the Melodians LP- Mango MLPS 9635 mono (US) - "A keeper, very good music but the vinyl on my copy sounds slightly compressed so I will continue to look for an Island UK pressing IRSP 13"

Comment

Name:	0221182126.jpg
Size:	679.1 KB
ID:	80390

Been so long since I played this, I don't recall if it's a good pressing - I feel compelled to post these photos because I've never known another person to make mention of this
          album. I remember buying this, late Seventies, at Alligator Records up at the riverbend in New Orleans.

Name:	0221182127.jpg
Size:	778.9 KB
ID:	80391

Comment

• Spla'nin
            Spla'nin commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting, same title, different cover art, similar but different song lineups from the Mango & Island pressings that appear later. Thanks for the heads up.

• seamonster
            seamonster commented
            Editing a comment
            I meant to include a recommendation for "96° in the Shade" by Third World, though I doubt it's unknown to you.

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the latest Island 60251 Marley 12lp Box comparing it to the German press 1982 box Bill mentioned above ?

http://www.elusivedisc.com/Bob-Marle...fo/ISLLP60251/

Comment

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            Haven't heard it. I'm certain the 70th Anniversary set came from high rez digital masters, whereas the box I identified is, as far as I know, fully analog. The price of the earlier box, out of print for a long time, is going to be higher. I don't know if they released the records from this later set individually- might be worth buying one and trying it. You might also look for comparative reviews- something I didn't do.

• Spla'nin
            Spla'nin commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Bill, still looking for the UK German press box - kind of rare.

• Bill Hart
            Bill Hart commented
            Editing a comment
            Not endorsing any of these, but here's the UKs which as far as I know were made in Germany. I've seen some reference to other sets pressed locally. I think I paid US$300 for my set with certificate- it was missing the book, but since they latter was a separate publication, I bought one from another source to have all the elements:
            https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/2144554?ev=rb
        Working...
        X