1952 - Various Artists - Anthology of American Folk Music
    1953 - Peggy Lee - Black Coffee
    1954 - Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan
    1955 - Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours
    1956 - Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
    1957 - Little Richard - Here's Little Richard
    1958 - John Coltrane - Blue Train
    1959 - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Now there's a real mix! Wonder what was on that '52 album that drove it to the top of the charts?
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      Now there's a real mix! Wonder what was on that '52 album that drove it to the top of the charts?
      This was released as a 6LP/84 song box, but I can't find the original cover pics anywhere (only CD and later vinyl reissues). Most of the artists are really obscure and most of the songs are from 1925-1932. I have no idea why this would rise to the top, but I guess there must have been an appetite for historical music.

The next 2 album spots that year were held by Hank Williams.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

Comment

Half of them are Jazz artists...
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          Half of them are Jazz artists...
          Rock was slowly creeping in and I think this was the last great decade for Jazz. Simple sign of the times and people wanting change and something new.

Comment

I'm curious as to where you got this information. The Billboard list, as found on Wikipedia, gives completely different results:

1950-1955 N/A (apparently, Billboard didn't put together yearly totals until 1956)
            1956 Harry Belafonte - Calypso
            1957 Original Broadway Cast - My Fair Lady
            1958 Original Broadway Cast - My Fair Lady
            1959 Henry Mancini - Music from Peter Gunn

Looking at the weekly #1s from Billboard, which they first started tracking mid-1945, it's amazing how many weeks were dominated by recordings of Broadway and Hollywood musicals. (Or maybe it isn't -- I'm thinking back to my parents' album collection from my youth in the early '60s, which featured a similar preponderance of Rodgers & Hammerstein / Lerner & Loewe works.)

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
            1950 - Benny Goodman - The Famous 1938 Carnegie Hall Jazz Concert
            1951 - Thelonious Monk - Genius of Modern Music: Volume 1
            1952 - Various Artists - Anthology of American Folk Music
            1953 - Peggy Lee - Black Coffee
            1954 - Sarah Vaughan - Sarah Vaughan
            1955 - Frank Sinatra - In The Wee Small Hours
            1956 - Elvis Presley - Elvis Presley
            1957 - Little Richard - Here's Little Richard
            1958 - John Coltrane - Blue Train
            1959 - Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
            I have all but 1952 and 1957.
            SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
            DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
            PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
            PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
            AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
            SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
            CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

Originally posted by tom_hankins View Post
              I have all but 1952 and 1957.
              You have all of the good ones.
              Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

No love for Little Richard, Mark?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
                  No love for Little Richard, Mark?
                  Not really Johnny. I did like the comment he made that he might not be the king of rock and roll, but he is the queen.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

A Queen he his, but I like him anyway!

Comment

Working...
                    X