The 70's #1 selling album by year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 70's #1 selling album by year!

A little more diverse than the sixties list, which was dominated by The Beatles and Bob Dylan.

1970 - Neil Young - After The Gold Rush
    1971 - Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
    1972 - David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars.
    1973 - Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon
    1974 - Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
    1975 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
    1976 - Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
    1977 - Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
    1978 - Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
    1979 - The Clash - London Calling

I suspect many, if not most of us, have all of these in one format or another.
    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

I bet I haven't listened to Springsteens Darkness in 30 years and I have a nice half speed of it.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

I know you guys are into albums, but as a music lover, the top 10 singles from each year tells me much more about what was going on musically.

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs70-79.html
      Thiel 7.2s, Manley NeoClassic 250s, Wadia 850, MIT Oracle V3 speaker cables, MIT MI-350 Oracle interconnects, Black Diamond Racing Shelves and Cones in a dedicated room with ASC Tube Traps, Room Tunes and 3 X 20 amp dedicated circuits.

Comment

• Johnny Vinyl
        Johnny Vinyl commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice list! Thanks for posting!

Originally posted by mkuller View Post
      I know you guys are into albums, but as a music lover, the top 10 singles from each year tells me much more about what was going on musically.

http://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs70-79.html
      yeah, but I always bought and played albums, not singles or songs.
      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mono) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

• mkuller
        mkuller commented
        Editing a comment
        Me, too, but it was the songs I heard on the radio that made me buy the albums. I still only buy albums.

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah, in the 60's, I got most of my music from top 40's radio which was AM and all singles. But by the 70's I switched to FM radio which was much more album oriented.
    Working...
    X