No announcement yet.

Ten Most Influential Jazz Saxophonists!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Most Influential Jazz Saxophonists!

When Adolphe Sax made the first saxophone in 1841, he could never have imagined how popular it would become.  As the guitar is the main instrument of rock
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I don’t know how you define and measure influence but I don’t know how Dexter Gordon isn’t on that list.
    Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Audio Research Phono 2SE; Analog: Basis 2200 Signature with Calibration Base, Vector 4 Tonearm, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC, Oppo BDP-105;

Comment

No Stanley Turrentine either. Tough list - I guess I forgot how many greats there were (including Dexter Gordon).

Comment

I don’t believe any names are needed after Lester Young and Johnny Hodges because they literally created the styles you hear in every tenor and alto player who came later. That doesn’t mean I don’t love others it just means I recognize where those later great players went to “school.”
        TW Acustic TT with upgraded motor and controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; iFi Phono 2; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; Hovland HP-100; Pass Labs 150.8 Amplfier; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones.

Comment

You include Grover Washington Jr but leave off Joe Henderson? This is a click bait list.
          PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
          www.lasercd.com
          www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, ASR Basis Exclusiv, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, Modified Mac Mini with Red Wine Audio Battery Power Supply, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

• 1morerecord2clean
            1morerecord2clean commented
            Editing a comment
            If influence is the criteria I stand by what I said Kenny Boy. Ask any player with some years behind him. I think they will echo my thought. Even the great Ben Webster said his biggest influences were Young and Hodges

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Read Norman Granz's biography to find out why The Prez was Webster's biggest influence! But I certainly have no issues with Parker and Coltrane and Coleman.

It's a good list. Five (maybe six) of them would be on my top ten for sure. I think I would replace,
          Getz, Bechet, Dolphy, Washington...with
          Hodges, Turrentine, Webster, Shorter

Last edited by tom_hankins; 11-17-2017, 04:54 AM.
          SOURCE: VINYL -VPI HR-X, 12.7 arm, ADS - Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Benz LPS-mr. DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/dac. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures w/ YG binding post upgrade. CABLES: Audioquest and Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Stan Getz, really? For going latin to sell records?
            I'd include Paul Desmond for his unique style that I've heard from no one else. But then the key word is 'influential' and he may not have influenced those who came after. I just liked that alto sound that seems to flow so effortlessly.

And I suppose we are limited to those on record. I don't get how Grover Washington Jr. got on the list. I thought he was a hack.
            As noted above, Stanley Turrentine should be on it.

Wayne Shorter,,,,,there's a sax player that could keep up with M. Davis. And I still can't get 'footsteps' out of my head to this day.

Who is this Nathaniel Hood anyway. Must be a youngster.

-Steve

Comment

Didn't realize how young most of them were when they died. Not a big jazz fan, but I am beginning to realize how important the saxophone has been to jazz. Larry
              Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre
              Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
              Dig Play-mch NADAC, Emotion, HQPlayer, Oppo95
              Electronics-Herron VTSP3APre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
              Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
              Other-ArtKelmGroundOne IsoTrans,AudioDiskeSystemVinylClea ner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects, Power Supply
              Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Thanks for sharing this Myles. Being a Rollins guy, it was nice to see him on the list. I have to agree with many of the above comments. Hard to limit to just 10.

Comment

Certainly my favorite 10 jazz sax men differs somewhat from that list, as many people’s will. But as for influential - I can’t really argue with the picks. Some I don’t know quite well enough to argue against. I certainly PREFER Ben Webster, Paul Desmond, and Dexter Gordon to several on that list...but that’s just me.
                  TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20, 3030; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
                  VINYL: VPI ScoutMaster/Benz LP-S MR/EAR 834P; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
                  SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
                  AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

I would have made the list 15 or 20 members long. I don't think Grover Washington was one of the top 10, but hey, it's all subjective.

Comment

A list of influential saxophone players should be done by saxophone players. I am aware of Sonny Rollins respect for Coleman Hawkins but was surprised by Kenny G being influenced by Grover Washington Jr. For that reason alone Washington Jr. should be taken off this list. My opinion of course. Also I don't play the sax but I have struggled with the guitar and play poorly.

Comment

Working...
                      X