Top 50 Classic Rock albums 50 Years Ago

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 50 Classic Rock albums 50 Years Ago

Rock was still very intense in '68 but it began giving way to quieter, more roots-oriented sounds. More than anything though, the music was diverse.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Even though I was just a kid - 12 years old that January - I was deep into that stuff, and consider 1968 to be the year for rock.

Comment

Crazy how much of that music I'm still listening to.
      Main System: VPI Prime, Ortofon A95, Bob's Devices VPI SUT, Bottlehead Eros Phono-pre, Phoenix Eagle and Roadrunner Tach, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, PrimaLuna Prologue PreAmp and Monoblocks, Martin Logan Summit X's. Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball Headphone Amp, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones.

Comment

I was in my first year of grad school at of all places Berkeley. !968 was a tumultuous year. I had arrived in the summer of 1967, the Summer of Love for SF and Berkeley. By the next summer, MLK and Bobby Kennedy were dead, the Chicago Democratic National Convention was about to occur and Vietnam was escalating with the Tet Offensive occurring that past January. People's Park and tearing gassing at the Berkeley campus was about to occur and we had marshal law declared. Very mixed memories of that year.

Larry
        Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
        Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
        Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiGG, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
        Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
        Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
        Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
        Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Originally posted by astrotoy View Post
          I was in my first year of grad school at of all places Berkeley. !968 was a tumultuous year. I had arrived in the summer of 1967, the Summer of Love for SF and Berkeley. By the next summer, MLK and Bobby Kennedy were dead, the Chicago Democratic National Convention was about to occur and Vietnam was escalating with the Tet Offensive occurring that past January. People's Park and tearing gassing at the Berkeley campus was about to occur and we had marshal law declared. Very mixed memories of that year.

Larry
          Those of us who lived through those days, realize the profound impact on the music. As usual, contemporary music can reflect the social attitude. What does that say about today's music?

Comment

Joe, Times change, the culture changes, music changes. I too grew up listening to the music of the 50s and 60's. I too experienced the trauma of 1968. Sometimes I wonder where are the folk singers and protesters. Where is today's Phil Ochs, Joan Baez, Richie Havens, the original Bob Dylan. I thought the only main music figure that carried weight and was socially and politically aware was Bruce Springsteen. Then I had an epiphany, The socially conscious and political protesters are Hip Hop and Rap. Times change but there's always someone holding our feet to the fire.
            Last edited by adeep42; 08-01-2018, 09:02 PM.
            Main System: VPI Prime, Ortofon A95, Bob's Devices VPI SUT, Bottlehead Eros Phono-pre, Phoenix Eagle and Roadrunner Tach, Cambridge Azur Universal Disc Player, Apple Airport Express, Mytek Liberty DAC, PrimaLuna Prologue PreAmp and Monoblocks, Martin Logan Summit X's. Bottlehead Crack w. Speedball Headphone Amp, Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones.

Comment

Working...
            X