Van den Hul Colibri XGW Stradivarius Signature

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van den Hul Colibri XGW Stradivarius Signature

AJ's new top-of-the-line moving coil cartridge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_5088 (1).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.32 MB ID:	66695
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Ensemble Fuoco hybrid integrated amplifier
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

0.75 mV output.

1.35-1.5 g tracking force.

Effective mass arm 10-16 g.

Optimal loading 50-600 ohms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171001_163045.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	836.9 KB
ID:	66697

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• jonathanb
      jonathanb commented
      Editing a comment
      So the stated output level of 0.38mV on the box is incorrect?

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      Good eyes. Uploaded picture of wrong Colibri box. They all look the same when the eyes are tired. Just finishing up transcribing an interview with AJ that I did at the Axpona show.

Name:	20171001_163026.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	66699

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Name:	20171001_162958.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	850.7 KB
ID:	66701

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Nice pictures. How is it sounding?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveD View Post
          Nice pictures. How is it sounding?
          Way too early to comment. Still breaking it in and haven't begun to dial the cartridge in. Gotta get more hours on it. Started with arm roughly parallel, VTF of 1.5 grams and loading of 180 ohms. But much yet to be determined.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            Interestingly, vdh talks about needing to have the back up with the Colibri. Which I did with the earlier cartridge. But never noticed before if the back is down, how close those coils come to the LP surface. You can kind of see it in the above picture.

I will say one thing after hearing the cartridge for a little bit last night. It has the biggest soundstage in my system that I've ever heard from a cartridge. No hyperbole. Sounds 20-30% bigger than the Atlas SL that was the biggest I've ever heard before here. With stuff weirdly at times like on the Yarlung Smoke and Mirrors LP (yes using some bass heavy albums to aid in breaking in) even projecting slightly in front of the speakers. It's wild.

Correct box! 🤗

Name:	20171002_210703.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	831.4 KB
ID:	66836Click image for larger version

Name:	20171002_210652.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	929.9 KB
ID:	66837

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• tima
            tima commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you have MSRP?

• MylesBAstor
            MylesBAstor commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's $11K. Andre might have the exact price.

• SteveD
            SteveD commented
            Editing a comment
            $11995 list price as of September 1st.

How is the balance on orchestral compared to the Atlas? Is it as balanced through the frequency range?

Comment

Myles, any further comments on the .7mv Signature, especially compared to the .38mv regular Colibri Strad?

Comment

Hellooo Mr.Astor.

Comment

well; I did take the plunge on the Strad Sig .7mv......and it arrived yesterday.

about 5-6 hours on it so far. a bit wooly here and there. jazdoc came over last night and helped me set it up and only speaking for myself heard much to like even brand new.

first impressions; throws a huge soundstage (as Myles alludes to) and it has terrific energy and openness. adds a forward propulsion to things. big bold bass grip. seems to like (and fully avail itself to) the dynamic capabilities of my system. so far glad it's in my system......

Attached Files

Comment

Mike, I hope this time it works out for you. before I acquired my first colibri last year I searched posts on different forums and recall finding yours from some years ago (audiogon?). based on your experience then, I thought you were 'done' with the Colibri...
                  Linn Kilmax LP12 | Linn Uphorik | Innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                    Mike, I hope this time it works out for you. before I acquired my first colibri last year I searched posts on different forums and recall finding yours from some years ago (audiogon?). based on your experience then, I thought you were 'done' with the Colibri...
                    it took me 8 years to recover from my '7' Colibri's. :-)

my first Colibri back in 2003, was fantastic and I used it for 3 years as my reference on my Rockport Sirius III until one day dusting I broke it......along with my heart. I then chased that same fine knife edged balance trying to capture it again......but the extreme inconsistent build back then of the Colibri's never revealed another one 'just right'.

no doubt there was then, and still is, a magic in the minimalist Colibri approach that removes lots of things in the way of the music. so I gave in to that siren song again. ask me in a few months whether I was right to do it.

no new sins, just new sinners. or sometimes, old sinners too.....that never learn.

Comment

• Rob
                      Rob commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I finally took the plunge after hearing a Colibri in a Forsell Air Reference. When i acquired the Rockport arm i knew exactly which cart to mount in it so far so good, fingers crossed...albeit my vinyl playback is in storage for the foreseeable future.

• Mike Lavigne
                      Mike Lavigne commented
                      Editing a comment
                      best wishes with the Colibri on the Rockport arm. that combo has much potential.

• MylesBAstor
                      MylesBAstor commented
                      Editing a comment
                      There’s a bit on the design and history of the Colibri and Colibri Signature here:

https://positive-feedback.com/interv...hul-interview/

Myles, are the large thumb screws a way to increase the mass. Is that a high compliance cartridge, or is it more fitting the actual weight of the cartridge to the tone arm.
                    PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
                    Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
                    Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                      Myles, are the large thumb screws a way to increase the mass. Is that a high compliance cartridge, or is it more fitting the actual weight of the cartridge to the tone arm.
                      No, just special headshell screws designed by Peter Lederman to make the mounting process easier. The Al screws are roughly the same weight as normal screws. Though as you see, they could be used to add headshell mass.

Stereophile Recommended Component! The Soundsmith EZ-Mount Cartridge Screws. No Tools are required to secure a cartridge and EZ-Tweaking or your cartridge set-up. Now it only take two hands to install a phono cartridge! This significantly lowers the risk of dropped cartridges & snapped cantilevers. [The] gizmo I can't speak more highly about is the EZ-Mount cartridge screw set. Delivered in a set of four pairs, they have an easy to tighten knurled knob on top eliminating the need for tiny hand tools. ...you can use them to add or remove mass to the headshell... All you need are your hands to install the EZ-Mounts, particularly on pre-threaded cartridge bodies, and they make cartridge alignment easy since they're a breeze to untighten, move, and retighten. Genius. - Neil Gader, The Absolute Sound, October 2011, Issue 216, pg. 44 Why Didn't I Think of That? Dept.: Soundsmith EZ-Mount Screws. This is really helpful for older folks... While this set is particularly useful for reviewers who are constantly changing cartridges, it should also prove useful to audiophiles who don't enjoy fumbling with Allen keys or tiny screwdrivers.- Michael Fremer, Stereophile Magazine, December 2010, Vol. 33, No. 12, Page 39 Kit Includes: 2 Nylon Screws 2 Aluminum Screws 2 Brass Screws 2 Stainless Steel Screws 2 Non-Magnetic Stainless Steel Nuts 4 Captive Nylon Washers Weight & Dimensions: Nylon Screws: 1.04 grams (pair), 10mm long Aluminum Screws: 2.06 grams (pair), 10mm long Brass Screws: 6.14 grams (pair), 10mm long Stainless Steel Screws: 6.32 grams (pair), 10mm long

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• tima
                        tima commented
                        Editing a comment
                        From Mikey's write-up I see the appeal. But I wonder if they will fit within a 4Point headshell. If you have a micrometer handy (!) could you measure the diameter. TIA

• MylesBAstor
                        MylesBAstor commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sorry I don’t. What I also like about the SS headshell screws is they make better and firmer contact with the headshell because the knurled nut has more surface area.
                    Working...
                    X