Skogrand Beethoven Cables

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skogrand Beethoven Cables

Click image for larger version  Name:	54973823-E0FA-42DC-A158-19D458278AB4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	482.4 KB ID:	72805

Back in 2014, I reviewed the Skogrand Beethoven speaker cables for PF (https://positive-feedback.com/Issue75/sc_beethoven.htm). The cables are pricey but the Beethovens really excelled when it came to transparency, bass and soundstaging. I didn't at the time review a full loom because the ICs were too stiff; I've sworn off stiff cables because of the long term stress they cause to connectors.

Later on, designer Knut Skogrand sent along some new, more flexible ICs but other reviews got in the way and I just never got around to listening to them. Plus I was concerned that adding the ICs to the speaker cables might be too much of a good thing. For that I apologize to Knut.

So in the course of reviewing the new cj ART300 amps, I for the hell of it pulled out and inserted the Skogrands (in addition to Audience, Transparent and a new Swiss cable) into the system. Boy I couldn't have been more wrong! The full loom is truly impressive and maybe the best cables I've heard when it comes to the low end and transparency. Deep, tight and tuneful. Beautifully clear Norwegian mountain air. But where these cables really make a statement is in the area of spatial recreation. I just haven't heard any cable recreate a hall, its boundaries, echoes, etc. like the Beethovens. Simply stunning in the way the cables bring the music go life and transport you back to the original recording.

Stay tuned!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Originally posted by tima
    Thanks for posting. Any comments on tonality or overall frequency balance?
    👍 Yes, that’s what interests me too.

Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. Will you be doing a full review? Very interested in the key differences between them and the Transparent Gen 5 that you have especially in terms of micro detail and micro dynamics along with other aspects mentioned by other members. BTW, Beethoven is no longer their top model....that is now the Stravinsky.

Comment

Originally posted by ashandger View Post
        Many thanks for sharing your thoughts. Will you be doing a full review?
        Yes.

Very interested in the key differences between them and the Transparent Gen 5 that you have especially in terms of micro detail and micro dynamics along with other aspects mentioned by other members. BTW, Beethoven is no longer their top model....that is now the Stravinsky.
        Stay tuned.

While it is no longer the top Skogrand cable line, what might be more interesting to hear is Knut’s entry level cables. They sounded pretty good at shows.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Great, looking forward to your review.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
            👍 Yes, that’s what interests me too.
            Pretty darn good. Are you intimating balanced toward one frequency region than the other?

Bear in mind, the Skogrand take time to break in. Maybe more than other cables. It does some things that are simply mind boggling in combo with the cj amps.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              Are you intimating balanced toward one frequency region than the other?
              Yes.

Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT Series 2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power conditioner: P.I.Audio: UberBuss with Furutech FI-E30 NCF; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
                Yes.
                Possibly at first but things balance out with time. As I said in the speaker cable review, the Skogrands take time to break-in. I find the top end very open now and certainly Magicos wouldn’t be forgiving here. Man, so much depends on the source, the front-end, etc. I might say the top end loses a little finesse but put the vdh and things change. I might say there is just a little tension in the mids but switch to tape and that changes. So character is always a moving target.

Comment

Thanks Myles.

Comment

Maybe ask Knute what system(s) he uses to voice, to assess his cables. If character is a moving target after break-in, i don't know what means. If the cables yield better results with certain character systems, i'd like know, at least in general terms, how that sorts out.
                    Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Working...
                    X