Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: What To Do When You Are Bored on a Holiday Weekend?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question: What To Do When You Are Bored on a Holiday Weekend?

[Or is next weekend the holiday weekend? Tough answer when the 4th falls in the middle of the week.]

Answer: Roll some tubes in the Doshi tapestage.

I had sworn off tube rolling in my gear until this weekend. For good reason too. I had grown weary of hunting for NOS tubes, sellers advertising OS as NOS, high prices, etc. Most of all, what do you do when that cherished tube finally breathes its last note? After all finding an exact replacement made in the same factory, made on the same date or even year, made the same way and matched (not to mention microphonics) makes finding the same sounding pair of tubes next to impossible.

Instead I was content with currently available tubes or those supplied by the manufacturer. They were always available and over time got to know which ones were or weren't reliable(take JJ tubes for instance).

Nick Doshi and I have spoken for a whileabout the choice of tubes in his tapestage and he's made a couple of suggestions (gold pins vs steel ECC99 for instance). We've also talked about the RFT ECC81s; while the RFTs are good performers, relatively affordable and most importantly enough are available to have stock for customers for the foreseeable future, there must be better tubes. Hey that is part and parcel of audio nervosa. He suggested rather than looking to replace all ECC81s/12AT7s, just play with the pair of tubes in the V3/4 position in the phase splitter portion of the circuit and "feed the ECC99 dual triode that acts as a follower to drive the outputs with a low impedance." (one pair is used in the NAB and the other pair in the IEC EQ sections.)

Anyway rolling the V3/4 tubes has been on my mind for a while now and with some time on my hands this weekend decided to give it a go. I decided on first trying a pair of Tele ECC801Ss that were laying around (I have a backup pair too). Yes they are pricey but have a rep for being the best 12AT7 tube. Next, I will try a slightly less pricey Tele ECC81/12AT7; I also ordered a pair of even a bit cheaper ($100/pr) Mullard CV4024s from Upscale Audio for comparison.

Onto the Tele ECC801Ss. At this point, the tubes have around 16 hrs of playing under their belt. New out of the box, the Teles superior bass and quietness/cleanliness made themselves immediately apparent. These tubes are just so clean sounding; not a trace of the fuzzies. Dynamics were effortless. Yet there was a bit of illumination going on that just added a bit of hardness to the sound.

Day 2. That illumination started to dissipate at around 10 hrs. Make no mistake though. These tubes don't pussyfoot around. Great recordings--take The Power of the Orchestra, Smoke and Mirrors, Opus 3 Sampler Tape #3, Jason Roebke Shimmering--sound absolutely glorious. But these tubes aren't going to make silk purse out of a sow's ear either. Lousy recordings will sound well..... And you will hear details and strengths and weaknesses of every recording like never before. The glorious midrange of Nat King Cole Sings/George Shearing Plays. The sense of air on the wonderful Yarlung choral recording Nostros. Or a slightly attenuated bass or soft upper octaves.

So far could live with these tubes quite easily.

To be continued.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

I just record my radio programs. Sometimes I already have 3 or 4 shows ready for broadcasting. I love tape recording.
    Sketsoteric Audio: "Analog Sound, Digital Flexibility"
    http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cassetteadventures
    http://mortechpr.wixsite.com/cgmasteringservices

Comment

Tube rolling can be great fun. i love the Mullard CV4024’s BTW. Of course I can keep myself entertained most weekends just playing tapes...even when there really isn’t much in the way of sports to have silently on the TV while the music plays.

Sadly for me, I only got about 2 hours of music time each day this weekend. Hopefully more next. I work every day but Wednesday this week - always a bummer when the 4th is on a Wednesday.

TAPE: Studer A807, A810; Revox B77 MkII; Tascam BR-20; Technics RS-1700; Pioneer RT-707, RT-909
      VINYL: Pioneer PL-50LII/Benz LP-S MR/ModWright PH 9.0; Denon DP59-L/Dynavector 20xH
      DIGITAL: Oppo BDP-95, MacMini > Oppo Sonica/Pioneer N-50
      SPEAKERS: B&W Nautilus 800, Pioneer DSS-9
      AMPS: Cary SLP-05/Sunfire Signature 600, Pioneer SX-1980

Comment

• MylesBAstor
        MylesBAstor commented
        Editing a comment
        Unless you are a Yankees fan and crushing their arch rival BoSox!

• Skylab
        Skylab commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha! I just can’t muster enthusiasm for baseball on TV. I guess I will always be mostly a football guy.

Working on getting my brother's semi-vintage system up and running. CJ Premier 3, CJ MV100, Sonograph SG3 TT, Sumiko Premier MMT arm with a really well taken care of Shure V15MR cartridge. Speakers are Synthesis LM300. A few small tube issues. Almost there.

In addition, setting up my new race bike. Had the mapping redone. She was a little lean on the bottom. Had the suspension redone by Enzo for weight and skill set. Only half of graphics installed. She is kind of pretty as is. Have new Yoshimura pipe for bike. Have not installed. This bike is retarded fast. Dyno tested at 63 horse at the rear wheel(Bike only weighs 235 pounds) If a 911 Porsche weighs roughly 3000 lbs, it would need 750 Hp to have the same power to weight ratio. Needless to say, my wife is not super pleased. She keeps asking me when I will grow up? Click image for larger version

Name:	CRF 450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	91270
      CJ Gat, Lamm ML1.1, CJ Tea1 S2 phono, TW Acoustics Raven AC, Tri-Planer MK Vll SE, Vdh Crimson Stradivarius, Exemplar Modded 205(Tube Version),Eficion F300 Speakers(Stillpoints Customized), Shunyata Denali 6000t,Triton V3, Shunyata Python Zitron IC's & Python Zitron Speaker Cables. Shunyata Sigma Power Cables, Stillpoints, Stillpoints Aperture Panels & MG Corner Tunes.

Comment

• Garth
        Garth commented
        Editing a comment
        I raced for Honda early 70s they gave me a 250 Elsinore to drive very hard on the body . Now I drive a Harley

• Hawk
        Hawk commented
        Editing a comment
        That is super cool Garth. Congrats. Very rare to get free bikes. I get some nice discounts and some things at cost. In reality, I should paste my Visa Card to my fender. Most bills eventually end up on my doorstep. A Harley and a some new audio equipment might be a good direction for future. Thanks for comment.

• RandyRobinson
        RandyRobinson commented
        Editing a comment
        Hawk - Yes red and chrome tank, but I bought it used from a guy who raced it. It last me, a non-racer for a long time.

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      [Or is next weekend the holiday weekend? Tough answer when the 4th falls in the middle of the week.]

Answer: Roll some tubes in the Doshi tapestage.

Myles, I would be surprised if you prefer any of the others to the Tele 801s. I haven’t.
      Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Lyra Etna SL, Ortofon Anna, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

I've been in Estes Park and the Rocky Mountain National Park for the last few days and for a few more, so not bored at all. Am missing music, though the hiking at this altitude is fun.

Comment

Not exactly bored - working. My indoor cat got out and has been gone for 23 days. We've gone through about 100 cans of cat food which has attracted raccoons, two other cats, a fox, and a random deer or two, not to mention lots of flies. The cat has gotten 15,000 hits on an animal rescue website - he's more famous than we are. We have left toys, cat beds, and both personal articles of clothing and kitty litter boxes outside our house. we have 3 CCTV cameras and 2 infared trail cameras we're using.

The secret weapon is using his brother as bait, but our cat has only showed up at the house 3 times. Thankfully, 2 times in the last 3 days. That's how we caught him the last time he escaped. Tonight his brother will be in a large cage in front of a partially opened outside door in the family room. We also have two traps, but he is too "cagey" to fall for them so far. I'm also trying divine intervention by lighting dozens of candles in church.

I could use some sleep. We each have easily spent over 100 hours on this recovery with a lot of time between 10pm and 4 am. What an emotional and physical roller coaster.

Comment

• Garth
            Garth commented
            Editing a comment
            A article of clothing with your smell on it in a live trap with some food works some of the time .

The second cat is a good plan in a cage to draw him near the plan of toys and food are good as well.

In my area a tracking company had a dog that tacks stray cats by sent when I tried to use them they were between dogs .

I used a drag bag with salmon in it to make a sent trail that lead home .

Got the Cat back in a live trap it was Winter so I had to get up and check the trap every 2 hours or it would freeze about 2 weeks of that .

Good luck at lest you know he is around

• seamonster
            seamonster commented
            Editing a comment
            Appeal to St. Gertrude, also.

• Barry
            Barry commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the ideas and encouragement everyone! We need it.

Most years I’d be pulled in three directions this holiday. Riding my bike, watching the Tour de France, and listening to music. The TDF begins a week later than usual so life this week is music and my bike. The three way tug is coming.
          TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Revel Studio Ultima Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

• Barry
            Barry commented
            Editing a comment
            Love riding too. Spend more time on that than listening to music although the heat wave may make me change my mind.

• seamonster
            seamonster commented
            Editing a comment
            My 35-years-old Lotus road bike is melting in the garage, here in Dallas. Losing my tolerance for heat. I lived for seven years with only a bicycle back in NOLA, and five in Honolulu.

• 1morerecord2clean
            1morerecord2clean commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for you folks living in warmer more humid climates than San Diego. But I lived and rode in Philadelphia for a long long time before I moved here. Ninety degrees and 90% humidity most of the summers. I still have a bike back there and when I visit in the summer I feel like I’m a hundred years old in that weather. Just not used to it anymore. And I’m thirteen years older too.

Scanning this site for enlightenment from 5K miles away.

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post

Myles, I would be surprised if you prefer any of the others to the Tele 801s. I haven’t.
            You may ultimately be proven right. Who knows, tubes are so wacky. Maybe will hit the right year from the right factory for another tube.

But my goal is to find some other alternatives to the ECC801S tube that aren’t as costly and more available. Certainly the CV4024 fits that bill. Probably any of the three will listen to are better than the RFTs.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Continuing on the tube rolling theme this weekend.

After the results with the Doshi tapestage, I decided to sub a pair of Telefunken 12AT7s for the stock Tungsol 6201 (new) in the Doshi V3.0 phonostage.

So so far so good and wouldn’t say my results differed dramatically from what I found five years ago with Nick’s original design. That despite his newest phonostage bearing little to no resemblance to the original unit.

NOS Telefunken ECC81/12AT7. Little brother to the ECC801S, the Telefunken ECC81/12AT7 is another tube worth considering if you don't want to shell out the big bucks. Cut from the same Telefunken ECC801S "cloth," the ECC81 has just a little less of everything including transparency, resolution, quietness and effortlessness. The ECC81s will set you back more than the Mullard but they too can be found in NOS condition.”

Some other tube rolling results can be found here.

doshi phono stage, positive feedback, audio

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• JCOConnell
                JCOConnell commented
                Editing a comment
                If youre going to get into tube rolling, by all means, buy a quality signal tube tester. They are not that expensive compared to the tubes and you get real comparisons/measurements, not promises of nos.

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks JC. I have two testers at home. My go to tester is the long discontinued George Kaye machine that actually tests the tubes a real world voltages (that is the issue with old testers and why the Amplitrex and Maximatcher are better chouces) in a class A circuit. The Kaye tester, unfortunately, only tests small signal tubes.

My other is a Hickok 539. KT150s require a different tester though. Luckily they have proved super reliable.

I think there was a thread back in the forum's early days on what tube tester do you use.

I gotta take another look at these Tele 12AT7s. They flash at turn on and don't know any Tele tube that does that. Mullard yes, Telefunken no. That would be a first in my tube rolling book though. Mullard labelled Tele. I don't know if ever checked bottom of tube for diamond.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Working...
              X