Swedish Analog Technology (SAT) LM-12 Tonearm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swedish Analog Technology (SAT) LM-12 Tonearm

Swedish Analog Technology (SAT) LM-12 Tonearm: Analog Playback Meets Rocket Science review
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Excellent review Myles. Many thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very interesting so is the 12 inch sat better in all ways than the 9 or are there things about the 9 you like better.

Comment

Good, in-depth review. Did you buy one for yourself, Myles? It's a little rich for me, but who knows....

Comment

Bravo! Really thorough and clear review of a cutting edge product.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth View Post
            Very interesting so is the 12 inch sat better in all ways than the 9 or are there things about the 9 you like better.
            Garth I lost you. The review was of the 12-inch SAT arm.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• Garth
              Garth commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry I thought you had reviewed the 9 inch a while back I was just wondering how you liked it compared to the 12 inch version and if the 9 inch was better at some things but if you have not used it then sorry I was mistaken both should be great arms from what i have read

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              The only reviewer that I know of who has heard both the 9 and 12-inch versions of the SAT arm is Mikey. I didn’t want that debate to overshadow my review; it was also a moot point as my VPI Vanquish table is really built for arms 10-1/2 inches+. 9-inch arms can be used with the VPI but the cartridge is sooooo.... close to the outer clamp that it’s a disaster waiting to happen. Same holds true with other tables too. For instance, the second/back position on the Tech Das Air Force 1 table only holds a 12-inch arm too.

By contrast, Mikey’s Coliburn table is built for 9-inch arms; he had to turn to the new Technics table to hear the SAT 12-inch arm.

• david k
              david k commented
              Editing a comment
              Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
              For instance, the second/back position on the Tech Das Air Force 1 table only holds a 12-inch arm too.
              You can put 9" & 10" tonearms on the rear armboard of AF1.

david

Originally posted by Cohnaudio View Post
            Bravo! Really thorough and clear review of a cutting edge product.
            Thanks Rich.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
              Good, in-depth review. Did you buy one for yourself, Myles? It's a little rich for me, but who knows....
              Yes I did buy the arm with what was left of my audio slush fund. Will now have to replenish.

I also bought the SAT so have two top, but different arms, with which to review cartridges.

-Doshi V3.0 phonostage

Comment

• Bill Hart
                Bill Hart commented
                Editing a comment
                Good for you. Enjoy it~

• Garth
                Garth commented
                Editing a comment
                from every thing I have read it is great arm it will be interesting which one you use the most after the new as worn off a bit you should enjoy that purchase sometimes you know you just made the right move. Or so you tell yourself LOL

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                I have had the arm since last October so hardly new. Intend to mount the vdh Colibri Master Siggie in the SAT once broken-in.

Nice review Myles! Congrats on purchasing the SAT LM-12. Enjoy the music!

Comment

I enjoyed reading the SAT review including the selection of music you used Myles. I'm glad it all worked out and that you made a decision to purchase the SAT arm and that you are obviously very happy with your decision.
                SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek with an SME 3012R with Dyna XV-1S cartridge, VPI Avenger table with rim drive and JMW -12-3D arrm with Lyra Etna SL cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Thank you for the wonderful review, nice tiebacks to your music choices. Congratulations, I will asipire to one as well one day.
                  Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                  Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                  Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                  Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                  Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                  Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Really thorough job! Enjoy the new arm!
                    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension/Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i/Ortofon A90/Modded & shielded Pass XP-25 Digital: Spectral 3000SL/Heavily modded Alpha DAC Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV/DMA-500AR Speakers: Heavily modded MartinLogan (custom Mundorf xover, cabling, woofers; structural mods)/Modded REL Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X/Oracle 90.1 Power: MIT Z-Strips, Magnum Z-Traps; Shunyata Black Mamba CX HC cords, Typhon

Comment

Nice work, Myles. I enjoyed reading it from start to finish.

Dre
                      Every day is a good day to play analog.
                      - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
                      - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
                      Every day is a good day for live music.

Comment

Working...
                      X