Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No updates Myles?

Comment

Am finished with Mutech (review coming) so now as good as any time to swap cartridges around and install new Lyra Atlas SL Lambda that has been patiently waiting on the sidelines for a starting spot.

Fuuga mk.2 moved to SAT LM-12 tonearm. Lyra Atlas SL Lambda installed in VPI 12-inch gimballed arm. Now to break Atlas in. 7 hours so far... Thanks to Michael Trei for the installation!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_094925.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	154069 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_094944.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	154070 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_094953.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	154071 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_095004.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	154072 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_101331.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	154073 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_101445.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	154074 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_101426.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	154075 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_101320.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	154076 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210627_095119.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	154077
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
      -Goldmund Telos 440 mono amps
      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Looking good Myles! Look forward to the review.

Also, how were you able to mount the SAT arm on the Avenger? Is that a VPI customized arm mount piece?

Comment

Originally posted by Ritmo View Post
          Looking good Myles! Look forward to the review.

Also, how were you able to mount the SAT arm on the Avenger? Is that a VPI customized arm mount piece?
          Mark Gomez sent a drawing for the arm board to me, I forwarded it to Harry and he had his machinist make the board. Still a basic VPI board drilled out for the SAT and it’s mounting hole/screws. Bonus is Harry now has the plans on how to make an arm board for the Avenger/Vanquish tables in his library. And I understand he’s had use for the info.

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Still working on getting the system up to the point where I think it's up to the task of reviewing equipment and music. It's taking a lot longer than I expected (guess it's no different than renovating your home. You know.. The contractor tells you six months and you need to add at least six months to the estimate because the builder is juggling five jobs.

But these arrived today and will hopefully get the system to where it needs to be.

One half of the Transparent Reference XL Gen 6 order: speaker cables. The ICs should, God errrrr FedEx willing, on Wednesday. (Photobomb by Emmy!)

Name:	20210713_230307.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	154796

And the just released and brand new wider bandwidth Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amplifier with with reworked power supply, higher slew rate, among other things. Oh yes the new speaker binding posts and their orientation (horizontal here as opposed to vertical on the 280s) are a welcome change.

Name:	20210713_230500.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	154797

Comment

Thank goodness for my helpers. They are experts on installing speaker cables. They have the nose for this type of work!

Name:	20210714_223057.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	4.12 MB
ID:	154844 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_223111.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	154845 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_222925.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	4.86 MB
ID:	154846 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_223004.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	4.85 MB
ID:	154847 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_223001.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	4.69 MB
ID:	154848 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_223636.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	5.16 MB
ID:	154849 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_223630.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	5.38 MB
ID:	154850 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210714_223431.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	5.39 MB
ID:	154851

Comment

• Audioraven
                Audioraven commented
                Editing a comment
                I am sure they are looking for that purr-fect sound!

• MylesBAstor
                MylesBAstor commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha!

So it's been a little over four months since we moved and where does the system stand?

It's been an educational experience and interesting journey to this point to say the least. I started out giving myself three months to get the system back up and running and though closer, things aren't quite where I want them to be yet. But much closer than they were just a month ago and I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel!

The biggest take home message from this endeavor? We forget how much work and time we devoted to tuning our systems. In my case, it was 18 years of living in the same place. The corollary is it's relatively easy to extract the first 70 or 80% of the performance from the equipment and room but getting that last 20%--where the musical magic lives--takes a long, long time. And a lot of hard work. But I doubt anyone would argue it's not worth the effort.

The other thing is it's hard to predict the future. I envisioned moving the system, lock, stock and barrel and just finding the right spot for the speakers and things would be back to normal. That was about as far from the truth as possible. Acoustics aside, I never expected to rework the system. But in the end, the move turned out to be a time to upgrade, change and try new and different components. Out with the old, in with the new. So the grand total now lies at new speakers, new amplifier, two new cartridges, one rebuilt tonearm (thanks to kittens chewing through the wires), one updated equipment rack and two equipment platforms, new ICs, speaker cables and power cords. The only thing remaining from the old system/place is the VPI Vanquish turntable (that may be seeing an update in the near future) and the Doshi EVO phono and V3 tape stage.

Then there's breaking it all in. The speakers are getting closer and closer to the 200 hour mark and sounding better by the day. I think their positioning is close and then it's just adjusting the woofer porting. I have been experimenting with the porting just tightening it up a smidge and was instantly rewarded with a tighter bass, more transparency and a more coherent sound. The Zellatons just sound so effortless, fast and uncolored. There's just that oh so right balance of instrumental harmonics and the new Goldmund Telos 300 amplifiers are even more focused, dynamic and faster and the bass is just tighter and more controlled. (Oh and I love the new binding posts on the Telos 300 an that they're attached horizontally, not vertically.) The Zellatons and Goldmund electronics just make for a really great combo. You listen and say tube and then say not tubes. So fluid sounding.

The new Transparent Audio Reference XL speakers have a few hours under their belt and will in the next week put in the interconnects to compare to the Goldmund Lineal ICs that are currently in the system.

Hopefully once that's done, all that will remain is just some fine tuning the acoustics and if all works out (hopefully by that time the summer temps and humidity will be dropping) I'll be ready to start reviewing with an almost totally new system. Something that I'll be looking forward to because the Zellatons are really revealing yet musical at the same. There's no feeling being restricted to listening to the same 200 LPs. No. I've been enjoying more and more LPs in my collection. It's not because the speakers or system are sweeting or adding technicolor to all the recordings and making them sound pretty. No, just the opposite. The answer is probably the system and in particularly the speakers, lacks a distortion (s) that the ear is particularly sensitive to.

Comment

Great update Myles! While the system change process may seem like a long time to you, your happiness and excitement comes through very clearly in your writing. It’s all part of the musical and audio journey. Enjoy the music!

PS - Wondering what table is on the horizon to replace the VPI.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritmo View Post
                  Great update Myles! While the system change process may seem like a long time to you, your happiness and excitement comes through very clearly in your writing. It’s all part of the musical and audio journey. Enjoy the music!

PS - Wondering what table is on the horizon to replace the VPI.
                  None. Just an update.

Comment

How about replacing those Transparent cables all around Myles...
                    Analog: VPI Aries 3, custom suspension & platter interface || Magnetically stabilized JMW 10.5i || Ortofon A90, Verismo || Modded & fully shielded Pass XP-25 || VPI SDS speed controller || Magnum Dynalab MD-90SE/105 Digital: Spectral 4000SV Amplification: Spectral DMC-30SV || DMA-500AR Speakers: Custom MartinLogan Cabling: Shielded MIT Oracle 50ic,MA-X,90.1,Shunyata Alpha v2 Other: Shunyata Everest & cords; Isodamp, mumetal, 3M AB5100, Dynamat, Copper foil; Vishay diodes, resistors; Mundorf coils & capacitors

Main System Link
                    Second System Link

Comment

Any updates on room setup (speaker positioning, components' location), sound of new cables/electronics, etc?
                      Tascam BR-20
                      Technics 1506 with tape path upgrades, FM head , DeHavilland 222 tape head pre
                      Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
                      Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
                      MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
                      Pass Labs XP-12, XA60.8 (pair)
                      Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
                      VMPS Larger Sub
                      Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, Sablon Audio, Wireworld cables
                      Core Power Equi=Power
                      Adona rack; Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Originally posted by ack View Post
                        How about replacing those Transparent cables all around Myles...
                        Know we disagree but I like the sound of TA cables, especially the latest Gen 6.. 😎 The Gen 5 was a huge step up from the previous TA offerings (that were sounding very dated at that point in time) and the Gen 6 is again an improvement if not on the scale of the Gen 5. Especially the balanced phono cables. There’s something about their sense of ease, imaging and spatial recreation that floats my boat. More importantly in this ocean of different cables they don’t do anything to annoy me.

That said I also have other cables around that also use from time to time for reviews. But TA and Audience are my two go to review cables. Only wish didn’t have to send the TA cables back for recalibration every time have a new product for review in house.

Comment

Originally posted by rbbert View Post
                          Any updates on room setup (speaker positioning, components' location), sound of new cables/electronics, etc?
                          Nothing that’s earth shattering but still a few significant and worthwhile changes to the system.

Probably the best move was switching over to the Stein Music Carbon Plus turntable mat. Best balance between using no mat and mat I’ve experienced. Just opened everything up and captured more harmonic information. Everything just seems more solid and grounded. Not cheap but the benefit far outweighs its cost.

Other than that, moving the equipment rack from the front to side wall (necessitated by the need to allow building maintenance access to the AC unit), swapping the vdh Colibri Master Signature for the Fuuga and keeping the Goldmund phonostage. Have to say the vdh is one helluva cartridge and may listen to that slightly more than my Atlas simply for its midrange beauty and huge sound. The Colibri is always faithful to the music and again enlarges the number of albums listen to that was initially created by the Zellatons. Can’t even count how many say wow when listening to albums. Both are, however, simply spectacular sounding cartridges and can’t go wrong with either one.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Know we disagree but I like the sound of TA cables, especially the latest Gen 6.. 😎 The Gen 5 was a huge step up from the previous TA offerings (that were sounding very dated at that point in time) and the Gen 6 is again an improvement if not on the scale of the Gen 5. Especially the balanced phono cables. There’s something about their sense of ease, imaging and spatial recreation that floats my boat. More importantly in this ocean of different cables they don’t do anything to annoy me.

That said I also have other cables around that also use from time to time for reviews. But TA and Audience are my two go to review cables. Only wish didn’t have to send the TA cables back for recalibration every time have a new product for review in house.
                            Hello Myles, are you planning to do a full review of your Transparent cables? Would be great if you did. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X