Clifford Jordan -Glass Bead Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clifford Jordan -Glass Bead Games

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0938-1.jpg Views:	39 Size:	220.1 KB ID:	116279 This is one of the top Strata-East releases and fetches big money as an original pressing for good reason. It's an interesting mix of highly accessible but inventive short tracks on two discs with two different band line ups-- and it's a joy to hear, musically and sonically. The Pure Pleasure reissue comes as part of a series from the Strata-East catalog and this may be one of the best. Reasonable money for a cool, desirable record that sounds good and has a lot to like musically.
    https://thevinylpress.com/clifford-j...ss-bead-games/

Thanks! Ordered!
    Last edited by Slowgeezr; 05-28-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

This is considered Jordan's finest work and a classic by many aficionados.
      JLH

Comment

I ordered this from The Echo Waves on line and now the company seems to have closed up shop. I need to get my money back and re-order.
        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

I'm negotiating with Clifford's widow to put out the tape but not easy for her. We'll see.
          JLH

Comment

Thanks Bill! I was looking at this reissue just this weekend!
            Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
            Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
            -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
            -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
            -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
            -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
            -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
            -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
            -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
            -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
            -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
            -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

The Pure Pleasure redo is still in print, or at least 'available' from the usual suspects. Is that the reissue we're talking about?
              Linn Kilmax LP12 | Innous ZENMini | Kii Three

Comment

• Rob
                Rob commented
                Editing a comment
                Duh, I answered my own question (I just re-read Bill's comment). Elusive still has these in stock, i haven't checked Chadster's site.

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0938-1.jpg Views:	39 Size:	220.1 KB ID:	116279 [/URL]
              Bill, do you know if this is cut from analog tape or from digital files? I already bought it so I am just curious.
              Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Madake, Miyajima Zero, Benz Micro LPS; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Big 7 DAC

Comment

• Bill Hart
                Bill Hart commented
                Editing a comment
                PP is not transparent. I don't know. And in at least one instance when I did know it wasn't from the master tape directly, and wrote to ask, they never answered.
                I have a few issues with them- but this record, and several others they have issued sound good.
                And, I have gotten far more sanguine about that issue if the end result is good. But, it's still nice to know. Why don't you write to them? Be curious if they'd answer you.....

• dminches
                dminches commented
                Editing a comment
                As my vinyl setup is far superior to my digital one I have also gotten less worked up about it, especially if I don't have a particular album already. I won't buy an "upgrade" to something I own if I don't know the pedigree, but for a new title I am fine as along as it sounds good.

• Bill Hart
                Bill Hart commented
                Editing a comment
                Figure a first US in fine condition is going to be at least $250, probably more, unless you get lucky.
                My copy of Clifford Jordan's In the World was a contemporaneous Japanese issue from back in the day, cost about 1/2 the price of the US pressing, and is quite good. In some cases I've bought originals, particularly where there is no reissue. And in some cases, like the early Lloyd McNeil on his private ASHA label, the tapes are gone. The cheapie copies currently issued are needle drops and the jump to an original pressing is not only big in terms of price (Washington Suite typically goes for about 400 dollars even in less than mint condition) but a vastly better sounding thing.
                This record, standing on its own, sounds very good. And isn't stupid money. Let us know what you think.

I have a nice OG pressing and should be doing a "shootout" against the PP reissue very soon.
              PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
              www.lasercd.com
              www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

Where is everyone ordering this reissue from?

Thanks!

Comment

• Slowgeezr
                  Slowgeezr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I ordered from elusive disc. Yesterday, I noticed a copy at Waterloo Records, in Austin. Perhaps a local record store near you has a copy.

• Bill Hart
                  Bill Hart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Geezr- i didn't realize you were down here!

Just listened to this. Great sounding album and the music is great. I had not heard this before. 2 great quartets.

Comment

I would like to hear an original issue since my ears tell me that the LPs were cut with digital files. Of course, I could be wrong.

Comment

You are 10 min from me. We can compare.
                    PROGRESSIVE SOUNDS FROM AROUND THE WORLD
                    www.lasercd.com
                    www.lasersedgegroup.com

Rockport Aquila, Boulder 2010, Boulder 2008, Boulder 2060, Transparent Audio Reference XL, Nordost Quantum QBase8, TW Acustic AC Anniversary, TW Acustic Raven 10.5 arm, Lyra Atlas, Bricasti M1 Special Edition, SRA Scuttle3 rack + various SRA/Symposium stands

Comment

Originally posted by lasercd View Post
                      You are 10 min from me. We can compare.
                      Oh! You have an original release? Let's make a plan to get both copies together and listen.

Comment

Working...
                      X