Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

These release has me piqued, even though it exceeds my monthly vinyl expense limit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These release has me piqued, even though it exceeds my monthly vinyl expense limit

https://www.berliner-philharmoniker-...ymphonies.html
    Avalon Time, Walker Proscenium, Koetsu Coralstone, Air Tight PC-1 Supreme, Goldfinger Statement, Dalby record weight, Kondo KSL-SFz step-up, Jadis JP80-MC...heavily modified, Convergent Audio JL-2 Black Path, Sony NS999 ES Modwright modded, full loom High Fidelity Ultimate cables, Rel S-5 sub, Stillpoints ultra and 5's, Shun Mook, Dalby footers, Critical Mass bases, Acoustic System Resonators, Magnum Dynalab Etude, Telefunkens throughout, assorted fuses, Furutech outlets, PurePower conditioner.

The question is wether it’s all analog chain or digital mastering! Of course if you even care for yet another set of Beethoven’s symphonies, again!

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    Systems, showroom links:
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
    http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

I'm guessing if the Rattle/Beethoven box set was all analog the Berlin Philharmoniker would probably make a big deal of it.

They certainly did with the 2016 release of Rattle's 6-LP set of Brahms Symphonies 1-4.(160041). All analog, direct to disc, single point pair of mics. Limited copies. Hard to find.

If you want a Beethoven LP box set from DG rather than the Rattle specifically, try R 205 040. Karl Bohm with the Vienna Philharmoniker. Sealed copies run ~$75 and up. Circa 1972(?) also with a 1977 issuance - I think.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Beethoven 9 Sym Bohm  R 205 040.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	84240

Or this von Karajan set - SKL 1018 from 1962,

Name:	Beethoven 9 Sym Karajan SKL 1018.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	84241

DG issued several of these box sets circa 60s-70s. Most do not have pictures on them. People bought them and put them on a shelf.
      Von K's second (and best of three) Sibelius set is in this format w/ the wonderful Okko Kamu conducting 1-3.
      If you look around you can find them at very reasonable prices in M or NM condition.

But you may know all this - don't mean to clog your thread.
      Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
        I'm guessing if the Rattle/Beethoven box set was all analog the Berlin Philharmoniker would probably make a big deal of it.

They certainly did with the 2016 release of Rattle's 6-LP set of Brahms Symphonies 1-4.(160041). All analog, direct to disc, single point pair of mics. Limited copies. Hard to find.

If you want a Beethoven LP box set from DG rather than the Rattle specifically, try R 205 040. Karl Bohm with the Vienna Philharmoniker. Sealed copies run ~$75 and up. Circa 1972(?) also with a 1977 issuance - I think.

Name:	Beethoven 9 Sym Bohm  R 205 040.jpg
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	84240

Or this von Karajan set - SKL 1018 from 1962,

Name:	Beethoven 9 Sym Karajan SKL 1018.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	84241

DG issued several of these box sets circa 60s-70s. Most do not have pictures on them. People bought them and put them on a shelf.
        Von K's second (and best of three) Sibelius set is in this format w/ the wonderful Okko Kamu conducting 1-3.
        If you look around you can find them at very reasonable prices in M or NM condition.

But you may know all this - don't mean to clog your thread.
        According to ED, the Rattle/Beethoven Synphonies was a digital recording and the vinyl was cut from a 24-bit Master. If we are talking about the same recording.

Exclusive Hand-Numbered Edition 180g Vinyl 10LP Box Set! Recorded Using A Dedicated Two-Microphone Setup In M/S-Configuration! Lacquer Cut From 24-Bit Master Files! Includes 52-Page Hardcover Book! Recordings of all the Beethoven symphonies with their chief conductor are always a milestone in the artistic work of the Berliner Philharmoniker. At the end of 2015, the cycle was performed under the direction of Sir Simon Rattle. Public and the press alike celebrated these performances which impressively revealed the virtuosity and the revolutionary energy of the works. Following on from the CD recording, the cycle is now being released as an exclusive vinyl edition. A special feature of this version is the purist recording approach, using just one single pair of microphones in mid-side setup (MS stereo). In this way, a sound can be captured that is extraordinarily close to the original acoustics of the Philharmonie. Features: • Hand-Numbered Edition 10LP Box Set • 180g Vinyl • 52-page hardcover book • Mid/Side microphone setup • Lacquer cut from 24-bit master files • Limited time download code for high resolution audio files of the entire album (24-bit / up to 192 kHz) • 7-Day Digital Concert Hall voucher for the Berliner Philharmoniker's video streaming service Musicians: Berliner Philharmoniker Sir Simon Rattle, conductor Annette Dasch, soprano Eva Vogel, mezzo-soprano Christian Elsner, tenor Dimitry Ivashchenko, bass Rundfunkchor Berlin Simon Halsey, chorus master Selections: Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) Symphonies 1-9 LP 1 Side A: Symphony No.1 LP 1 Side B - LP 2 Side A: Symphony No. 2 LP 2 Side B - LP 3: Symphony No. 3 LP 4: Symphony No. 4 LP 5: Symphony No. 5 LP 6: Symphony No. 6 LP 7: Symphony No. 7 LP 8: Symphony No. 8 LP 9 - LP 10: Symphony No. 9 Recorded in October 2015, Philharmonie Berlin
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post
          The question is wether it’s all analog chain or digital mastering! Of course if you even care for yet another set of Beethoven’s symphonies, again!

david
          If they don’t mention it’s AAA analog, you can pretty much assume the vinyl was cut from a digital file.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• tima
            tima commented
            Editing a comment
            It used to be the other way around. grrr

I have this boxset and the Karajan ‘62 as well as many others. I somehow got fooled as the original announcement led me to believe that it was a direct to disc recording like the Brahms cyle. The critics were sometimes quite diverging: it was highly praised by Diapason whilst Gramophone had a more balanced opinion. I took a stab and quite frankly, I don’t regret it. Should I opt for just one boxset, I would go for the Karajan ‘62 which can be found in very good shape for a reasonable price.

Comment

I don't buy much classical music anymore, but was unaware of that direct to disc set. It would seem to me that would be a worthwhile endeavor for first tier symphony orchestras assuming the engineer can figure out the timings. Symphony orchestras are used to playing entire pieces of music without the need for overdubs, punch ins to correct mistakes, retakes, etc. And they could certainly use the income generated by the cost/price of these types of recordings. Not that it would enlarge the audience, but it would seem like a good bet for the audiophile market. Among all the old direct to disc recordings I've had, I don't recall many of that caliber- more like The Missing Linc. Am I wrong?

Comment

Apart from Decca Solti, which are the best recordings for the 9th? Is the Bohm VPO version with Placido Domingo a good LP, because I love that performance. How is the Furtwangler mono, or any other mono? Also, I saw that acoustic sounds was releasing Bernstein?

Also interested in knowing for the 5th. I tried the 5th from the Polish Tacet.de tube mastering and did not like the performance.

Comment

• tima
              tima commented
              Editing a comment
              You didn't ask but Bohm and Cluytens do the best Pastorals.

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks.

I love the '62 HVK and have a great mono set he did earlier...both fantastic

Comment

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you give details of the LP number for the mono please - is it from DG? Also what are you using for mono, Miya Zero?

• jazdoc
              jazdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              https://www.discogs.com/Beethoven-He...elease/3106266

I was wrong, the mono is the same year as the stereo. (He repeated the cycle in 1982.) Mine has the "Grand Prix Du Disque" stamp which is not supposed to be a first pressing but has the white tulip border which is a first pressing...strange. Any classical collectors want to chime in?

There is also a wonderful mono DG HVK Missa Solemnis

I am using a Miyajima BE, lusting for a Zero...

If you want mono by Karajan, you need to look after the first cycle that he recorded with the Philarmonia Orchestra for Columbia https://www.discogs.com/Herbert-von-.../master/653160 with Elizabeth Schwarzkopf among the lead singers. I never really loved the 9th. Matter of personal taste.

My personal reference in mono remains the 7th by Furtwangler with the Vienna Philharmoniker. He also recorded the 9th with the Vienna Philharmoniker and Elizabezth Schwarzkopf was also one of the lead singers. These recordings were reissued by Dacapo in the late 60ies/70ies (no date on the record sleeve and my Dad did not mention the purchase date which he usually did). You can find them on Discogs.

Comment

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              Did you listen to the 9th live in different halls? I assume yes, but just asking

• dcc
              dcc commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes. The last time was in February 2017 in my home town at the Henri Le Boeuf Concert Hall which not only is beautifull (it was designed by Victor Horta, one of the Masters of the Art Nouveau) but sounds very good as well. It is jut that big symphonic pieces are not my cup of tea. I am chamber music and small orchetra kind of guy. But if I have to pick one symphony from Beethoven, it will be the 7th. The second movement is fabulous.

• bonzo75
              bonzo75 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I like the second movement a lot too. But for me the 9th is different. The best I heard was Haitink and Michael Tilson Thomas conduct it with the LSO. I will watch Dudamel do it this summer
          Working...
          X