No announcement yet.

The Biggest Bang for the Buck?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After some of the great deals I've gotten on records, my biggest bang for the buck is my Audio Desk RCM. It changed every record I listen to. It's not cheap but made every listening session over several years better.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H, DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega DSD 256 DAC. PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2. AMPLIFIER: Audionet AMP monoblocks. SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) REL Gibraltar G1 with G1 mk2 driver. CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Room and power. If I had those sorted out first, I would not have bounced through so much gear. Well,,,,maybe that is not true, but I would have had a much better understanding of what I was really listening too. If those 2 are not correct, everything else associated with them is compromised. Think of it like putting bad gas in your sports car, then sputtering and backfiring down the highway.
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by allenh View Post
        Biggest bang for the buck to me? Dialing in your speaker and listening positions. Before you buy any tweaks, room treatments, better gear, I say work on these two key dimensions. Will take lots of time to dial it in right, but will save you tons of $$ in the long run. After that, I think it's a toss up between clean power/signal paths and room treatments. Both offer great benefits.
        couldn't agree more. I went a few years w/o my speakers being optimally set up (650lb speakers are not easy to move around)...especially toe angle. It wasn't till I used a laser measurement tool that I finally got it right. Better imaging, soundstage and coherence as a result.
        Christian
        System Gear

Comment

I would have to say Synergistic's HFTs and MiGs. Huge sound improvements from a modest investment. HFTs on speakers can add a surprising amount of clarity.
          Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Comment

• Kingrex
            Kingrex commented
            Editing a comment
            How many hft did you need? Was it really an improvement or did it just hike the high frequency response? Kind of interested. Did you ever try the big bowls they make.

• LeeScoggins
            LeeScoggins commented
            Editing a comment
            I have around two dozen around my listening room: silver, gold, and black. It does not EQ the sound at all, it just makes everything sound more open. I did not try the big bowls, those are an older product. I did hear an effective demo once but the sound change was not as dramatic as the HFTs.

Originally posted by rockitman View Post

couldn't agree more. I went a few years w/o my speakers being optimally set up (650lb speakers are not easy to move around)...especially toe angle. It wasn't till I used a laser measurement tool that I finally got it right. Better imaging, soundstage and coherence as a result.
          Would you mind sharing which one and how you used the laser measurement tool?
          Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III Speakers - 300B Monoblocks - TW Acustic RLS-100 Line Stage - TW Acustic RPS-100 Phono Stage - TW Acustic Raven AC with (2) 10.5 Arms and Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades - Ortofon A-95 and Miyajima Zero - Playback Designs MP-5 to a Bricasti M1 DAC for SACD (DSD) and Redbook - Tascam 42B Refurbished + Doshi V.3 Tape Stage - (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6's - Custom Furutech Power Cords & Interconnects and Inakustik LS-4004 Air Speaker Cables - VPI 16.5 RCM

Comment

For me, it has also been line conditioners and grounding devices. I have the Synergistic PowerCell and Shunyata Denali in right now and they both do an excellent job of creating a low noise floor.
            Writer, Part-Time Audiophile

Comment

It warms my cochlea to learn so many folks are investing in audio room infrastructure: power, acoustics, vibration control/isolation. There is something of a dialectical circle here where one change makes the next change possible or more viable. And as Myles suggested some threshold of system optimization that probably should come first. There is a sense in which all of audio is about vibration and resonance management or non-management and the tripartite infrastructure school covers the gamut at different frequencies.
              Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

Working...
              X