Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Absolute Power

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Absolute Power

    I have worked a lot on my power system and those of my customers for several years and have made a lot of progress. Most recently, I have changed all of my power receptacles, plugs and IEC connectors to the latest Furutech NCF series. In addition, I have improved my power panel and all of my power connections. Which brings me to this topic of Absolute Power. I consider the power system to be one of the most important aspects of system performance, as important or more important than all other components.

    Recently I installed a new 5 duplex power strip for jazdoc (Mark Zobel) at his home in Bellevue, WA. My 5-Pack Power Distribution unit included 5 Furutech GTX-DR NCF duplex receptacles, 104-D Cover plates (carbon fiber over stainless steel) and Wall Frames (CNC Aluminum with damping coating). All of the Furutech components are great by themselves, but in this product they are mounted on a carbon fiber sandwich plate which is further mounted to an acrylic enclosure (high molecular weight), resulting in a three-layer damping system. And what is really cool is the the box is fastened to the floor and a new power cable is hard-wired from the power panel to the power distribution unit with a custom hand made power cable using a silver hot wire. The power wiring utilizes Gary Koh's proprietary Genesis Absolute Fidelity wire (the best I have found). All power connections are metal-to-metal with no soldered joints. All wiring is "star" configuration. And an additional 2m copper wire was added for connection to an external grounding box such as Entreq for future experiments with power grounding. The "star" grounding approach is very important as the goal is to provided equal ground potential for all components.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	KOSMIC 5-Pack Power Distribution.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	36447
    My KOSMIC 5-Pack Power Distribution attached to the floor (screwed down).

    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark Zobel System December 17 2016.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	36448
    Mark Zobel's system

    Click image for larger version

Name:	KOSMIC 5-Pack Power Distribution - with power cables connected.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	36449
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark Zobel and Rex Hungerford.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	36450
    Mark Zobel (left) and Rex Hungerford still alive after the installation and getting ready to listen to some music. Rex did the electrical installation ( http://www.kingrexelectric.com/ ) and is my go-to guy in the Seattle area.

  • #2
    So, Joe, is all system power being supplied through this custom box from a single 20 amp line?
    I am a big fan of JazzDoc, one of the nicest people on the audio web, with eclectic taste in music and an affinity for those antiquarian boxes from Jeffrey Jackson.

    Comment


    • Joe Pittman
      Joe Pittman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, all of the audio components are powered with the new distribution unit on one circuit. The previous outlets are still powered for utility purposes or for comparison.
      Last edited by Joe Pittman; 12-21-2016, 04:07 AM.

  • #3
    That's no audiophile system. Too neat!
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
    ________________________________________

    -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

    Comment


    • #4
      Very nice install indeed, I've always liked a clean appearance. No filtering/conditioning in the box? Couldn't tell from the photos if there was a filter/conditioner in the system.

      Comment


      • Joe Pittman
        Joe Pittman commented
        Editing a comment
        No in-line (active) filtering/conditioning in the box. I'll be experimenting with added materials (passive filtering/conditioning) for this in the future. Meanwhile, all of the wire insulation is low dielectric with static shields and the wire is directional and wound with specific geometry for optimum performance. The goal was to eliminate as many connections as possible (do no harm) and provide instantaneous power delivery.

    • #5
      The more I look at the picture, the more I think this is a great idea. I take it the box is directly linked to electrical circuit in the wall?

      How much would something like this run Joe?
      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
      ________________________________________

      -Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
      -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers and Goldmund Telos 280 stereo amp
      -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 and Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
      -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

      Comment


      • Joe Pittman
        Joe Pittman commented
        Editing a comment
        The box is hard-wired to the power panel!!!! Current MSRP for the box is $5,796, the optional Genesis Absolute Fidelity Power Cable is $51 per foot and is hard wired to the box (max 50' at the moment and wire is not sold separately). Estimated electrical installation including PVC conduit is $65 per foot in the Seattle area, with actual pricing subject to site requirements. See my web page http://www.kosmic.us/kosmic-power-di...on-5-pack.html
        Last edited by Joe Pittman; 12-22-2016, 12:44 PM.

    • #6
      Nice Joe.

      Chris
      ----------------------------------------------------------------
      Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

      Comment


      • #7
        Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
        I have worked a lot on my power system and those of my customers for several years and have made a lot of progress. Most recently, I have changed all of my power receptacles, plugs and IEC connectors to the latest Furutech NCF series. In addition, I have improved my power panel and all of my power connections. Which brings me to this topic of Absolute Power. I consider the power system to be one of the most important aspects of system performance, as important or more important than all other components.

        Recently I installed a new 5 duplex power strip for jazdoc (Mark Zobel) at his home in Bellevue, WA. My 5-Pack Power Distribution unit included 5 Furutech GTX-DR NCF duplex receptacles, 104-D Cover plates (carbon fiber over stainless steel) and Wall Frames (CNC Aluminum with damping coating). All of the Furutech components are great by themselves, but in this product they are mounted on a carbon fiber sandwich plate which is further mounted to an acrylic enclosure (high molecular weight), resulting in a three-layer damping system. And what is really cool is the the box is fastened to the floor and a new power cable is hard-wired from the power panel to the power distribution unit with a custom hand made power cable using a silver hot wire. The power wiring utilizes Gary Koh's proprietary Genesis Absolute Fidelity wire (the best I have found). All power connections are metal-to-metal with no soldered joints. All wiring is "star" configuration. And an additional 2m copper wire was added for connection to an external grounding box such as Entreq for future experiments with power grounding. The "star" grounding approach is very important as the goal is to provided equal ground potential for all components.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	KOSMIC 5-Pack Power Distribution.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	36447
        My KOSMIC 5-Pack Power Distribution attached to the floor (screwed down).

        Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark Zobel System December 17 2016.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	36448
        Mark Zobel's system

        Click image for larger version

Name:	KOSMIC 5-Pack Power Distribution - with power cables connected.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	36449
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Mark Zobel and Rex Hungerford.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	36450
        Mark Zobel (left) and Rex Hungerford still alive after the installation and getting ready to listen to some music. Rex did the electrical installation ( http://www.kingrexelectric.com/ ) and is my go-to guy in the Seattle area.
        Those 4 square boxes on the shelves, what are they ?
        Chris
        ----------------------------------------------------------------
        Kef 201/2, Pass xa30.5, W4S STP-SE, Manley Chinook, VPI Classic, Dynavector DV20x2L, ExaSound e32, Acoustic Zen cables. (Office): Vincent SP331 Mkll, Quicksilver Pre, Lumin D1, (Ken Lau Signiture Edition PSU), Bryston BCD-1, Vapor Audio Breeze, WooAudio W6se,Questyle Audio CMA800R LCD-3,HD800s, HD600, Mr Speaker Ether C Flow,

        Comment


        • Joe Pittman
          Joe Pittman commented
          Editing a comment
          They are the Experience Music Kahn Phono Preamp with PSU and Line Stage with PSU. These tube electronics have superb sound quality.

        • cpp
          cpp commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome, I bet they sound fantastic

      • #8
        Joe it looks very nice and I'll bet it sounded great too.
        One large capacity circuit is fine a 30 40 is fine.
        In effect it's what I did but yours is nice mine is horrible looking lol.
        analog stuff.
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
        otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
        sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
        new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
        thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
        thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
        kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
        phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

        Comment


        • #9
          Hey guys -- Joe brought this thread to my attention. A few quick thoughts...

          Bill Hart obviously does not know me very well

          Rex and Joe were terrific in the process which required multiple site visits, telephone calls and emails. The installation went smoothly. The pictures really don't do the unit justice...the aesthetics are quite nice and fit/finish exemplary.

          As to the effect on sound...I've got ~10 hours on the system and there is a lot of cable and new outlets to break in; not to mention, I had to take down, move and reassemble the system for installation. I'll post more as I get a better handle on things and get input from trusted ears who don't have a dog in the hunt. However, first impressions are positive...very positive.

          Comment


          • #10
            Looking forward to your impressions, Mark. When Joe first approached me to do this, I thought that he had gone mad. And I don't know how Joe managed to find Rex - a Master Electrician who could be convinced that the wire would make a sonic difference. He told me that he was skeptical until he actually tried it.

            Comment


            • #11
              Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
              ...I am a big fan of JazzDoc, one of the nicest people on the audio web, with eclectic taste in music and an affinity for those antiquarian boxes from Jeffrey Jackson.
              Originally posted by jazdoc View Post
              Hey guys -- Joe brought this thread to my attention. A few quick thoughts...

              Bill Hart obviously does not know me very well ...
              Well, if that's the case, I don't know you either! Because I completely agree with Bill, my friend!

              Dre
              **************************************************
              Every day is a good day to play analog.
              - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
              - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
              **************************************************
              Every day is a good day for live music.
              **************************************************

              Comment


              • jazdoc
                jazdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Awww schucks!

            • #12
              Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
              So, Joe, is all system power being supplied through this custom box from a single 20 amp line?
              I am a big fan of JazzDoc, one of the nicest people on the audio web, with eclectic taste in music and an affinity for those antiquarian boxes from Jeffrey Jackson.
              +1 on this Jazdoc guy......and I'm very lucky to enjoy his company (and advice and help) on a regular basis.

              Joe has been a great help to me with my system improvements over the years with consistently excellent advice and quality installs......feeding my pathetic habit. and I recommended him to Jazdoc (and I'm sure you blame me to your lovely wife for the aquisition) and am not surprised it has worked out so well.
              https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

              Comment


              • #13
                Originally posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

                +1 on this Jazdoc guy......and I'm very lucky to enjoy his company (and advice and help) on a regular basis.

                Joe has been a great help to me with my system improvements over the years with consistently excellent advice and quality installs......feeding my pathetic habit. and I recommended him to Jazdoc (and I'm sure you blame me to your lovely wife for the aquisition) and am not surprised it has worked out so well.
                Thanks for your kind words Mike.

                I'm lucky to know Mike, jazdoc, and others in the Seattle area, all are real music lovers. We all obsess over the hardware but we are just looking for the best music fix for our addiction. Every time I go to Mike's or Jazdoc's place I hear new and exciting music, that's what I love about all this.

                Comment


                • #14
                  Thanks for the kind words everyone! We are lucky to have an engaged, supportive and enthusiastic audio community in the Seattle area. They have been a huge help in pursuing listening pleasure. I feel able to post a few initial listening impressions which are subject to change based upon ongoing break in and confirmation by other trusted listeners...

                  1. Noise floor is significantly improved. Indeed, the digital is almost spooky quiet.
                  2. Improved bass. Bass quality is better and extension may also be improved (would like others to verify). I may have to adjust speaker position following break in...
                  3. Improved imaging. Locations of instruments in space seems more realistic.
                  4. Increased density of information...hard to describe but my impression is of more realistic details, i.e. appreciation of the piano soundboard, the sound of the pick on guitar strings, the snap of a drum set, etc.

                  Last night my wife listened to the rig for the for time since the electrical update and she turned to me and said "I usually can't hear when you make a change but this is a big improvement!" Passing 'the Beth test' is a big milestone.

                  A couple of other random thoughts. If you can't do the electrical system as part of planned room design, this is something I would recommend once other basic system blocking and tackling has been accomplished, i.e. you are happy with gear and set up. I could see the value of this being lost if everything else wasn't in order. I'm looking forward to completing my Found-Music cable loom in a few weeks and will continue to update as warranted. Hopefully folks will add their impressions when the hear the rig.
                  Last edited by jazdoc; 12-22-2016, 08:42 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #15
                    I gonna pick some brains pretty soon~ finally en route to Austin. We still need to buy a place. Been looking for something close to town that is set up with a separate building and service from the street so my hi-fi doesn't share power or ground with the main house. Likely need to do a gut renovation on the music building, but that way, I'lll be working with a shell, and can configure as necessary for listening space and ancillary space for cleaning, storage, etc.
                    Mike Lavigne Mike- are you still using your Equi=Tech. I have one that has been sitting in storage and had planned to install it in the new building.
                    Joe Pittman Joe- I get the advantage of working from a single line, rather than multiple dedicated lines, at least in so far as grounding is concerned.
                    I don't use any power conditioning as such, and really don't plan to use any in the next room (though I wonder if those fancy whole house surge protectors do anything, positive or negative. (I would think that the isolation transformer in the E=T would offer some protection, but I usually pull power in NY during heavy electrical storms)
                    I'm gonna keep this simple. I'm after a good sounding room, but the aesthetics are important to me too- I want light in the room--thus, clerestory style windows are an option--and a good place where I can spend time doing my thing.
                    I can talk off line with you guys at some point-Mike gave me some thoughts on quiet A/C several years ago when I first contemplated the move.
                    Have a good holiday, everybody.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X