• Show
Clear All

Congrats on the new house Bill.
    Christian
    System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post
      Congrats on the new house Bill.
      Thanks Christian. It's really nice to be here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

Thanks Christian. It's really nice to be here.
        your finally out of NY ?

Christian
        System Gear

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post

I was at one time running the ten k ISO into two P10 REGEns and two amps
          or stopped when I got a 300 bill. My standby current was over 14 amps 24 hours a day. Shutting it off and on has no effect only the circuit breaker may wear in time. Amps and preamps warm up in about 30 mins or so tube stuff faster. Dacs are also in need of warming up as well. Some claim longer. Good luck and I am truly happy for you and your new setup.
          I just figured the transformer needed time to 'form' like burn in, no?

Comment

Originally posted by rockitman View Post

your finally out of NY ?
            Yep. Now officially a Texan. Traded in my NY license, but haven't gotten a pick up truck or gun rack (my wife will probably do that, though). Our place is this old historic house right in town, in a sort of wild, overgrown plot of land. To be here, you'd hardly know you are in the thick of it, with apartment buildings, lot's of density. South Congress, a/k/a the "strip" is a few blocks walk, just far enough (and hilly enough) to discourage the drunks and other riff-raff that jam the area on the weekends.

Comment

• Rob
              Rob commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't know man, you being a city feller--from NY no less--has probably intimidated them!

• MylesBAstor
              MylesBAstor commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't forget the ten gallon hat!

Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post

Yep. Now officially a Texan. Traded in my NY license, but haven't gotten a pick up truck or gun rack (my wife will probably do that, though). Our place is this old historic house right in town, in a sort of wild, overgrown plot of land. To be here, you'd hardly know you are in the thick of it, with apartment buildings, lot's of density. South Congress, a/k/a the "strip" is a few blocks walk, just far enough (and hilly enough) to discourage the drunks and other riff-raff that jam the area on the weekends.
            Your lucky to be out of this high tax fascist govt state....
            Christian
            System Gear

Comment

• fcrowder
              fcrowder commented
              Editing a comment
              I spent three of the best years of my life in Austin at UT Law School. Austin was very different 40 years ago, certainly less developed with fewer people and less traffic problems. Still, it is a great place to live and a unique piece of humanity.

• Bill Hart
              Bill Hart commented
              Editing a comment
              fc- didn't know you were part of the brethren. I have been teaching at UT Law part time. Great school, great university. Did you practice?
              Love it here, and have been told the complaints that 'it's changed' are as old as the hills. I think the people drawn here appreciate what the vibe is about, at least I do, and seek to preserve the generosity of spirit and overall wackiness of life quality.

• fcrowder
              fcrowder commented
              Editing a comment
              BH- I spent almost 34 years working for Amoco/BP, retired and then within 6 months was working at Hess Petroleum and have been there for almost 2 years. Most of that time in an international construction practice (think LNG liquefaction facilities, refineries, etc.). Austin is unique, a bit wacky, still at least around the university a small town at heart. As you mention, the quality of living is quite high. I am living in Houston where I grew up.

Bill, you are using 10-3 romex? The orange stuff? It really isn't that bad, but most importantly it's UL rated and there won't be any permitting issues.
            Also the Cutler- Hammer boxes are a more premium box, I have 2 of those in my house for everything other than my audio system.

Something I would recommend if you are pulling wire would be to put a dedicated ground on the wall, just have them run a dedicated ground wire to a speaker binding post mounted on a blue box. Then if you want to ground something you have a clean ground back to the earth.
            What wall outlets?
            Did you do anything with the house ground?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Beron View Post
              Bill, you are using 10-3 romex? The orange stuff? It really isn't that bad, but most importantly it's UL rated and there won't be any permitting issues.
              Also the Cutler- Hammer boxes are a more premium box, I have 2 of those in my house for everything other than my audio system.

Something I would recommend if you are pulling wire would be to put a dedicated ground on the wall, just have them run a dedicated ground wire to a speaker binding post mounted on a blue box. Then if you want to ground something you have a clean ground back to the earth.
              What wall outlets?
              Greg- I can probably have them run a dedicated ground. Good idea. They will be back in a few weeks to install the transformer outside if they can't get to it this week. They think the house ground is already a ufer that is part of the pier and beam- new concrete piers were cast in 2004, but I'm not sure about that. They will add some additional grounding rounds for the transformer/feed and tie them back to the main ground. I hadn't planned on anything fancier, for now. Outlets, good 'ole Porter Ports.

Comment

Bill-Congrats on finally completing the move and starting over with your new old house! My wife and I bought a house last week in TN and as long as something terrible doesn't show up in the home inspection, we will be closing at the end of June.
                SP-10 MKII table with custom power supply designed and built by Peter Noerbaek, SME 312S arm, Dyna XV-1S cartridge, Zesto Andros 1.2 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, and NOLA KO speakers with a pair of Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

• Rob
                  Rob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  congrats!! that's a load off your mind (for now). I hope you got the listening room you wanted

• Bill Hart
                  Bill Hart commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The beginning of a new cycle of your life, MEP. My experience with those inspections is that they are usually scary over things that aren't and often miss a few things that can cost. I don't know how much A/C testing costs, but our home inspector gave a pass to one unit (of two) that had a leaking evaporator coil. Then the fun begins! (and it is fun). Making the house yours. We forget how much time, effort, money and thinking goes into tweaking a house to get it just so, whether it is paint, lighting, landscaping, remodeling or simply getting the wooden floors sanded and refinished. Lot's of work. But worth it. No matter how many houses we've done, I still want to get it all finished quickly. Life doesn't happen that way, though. We've had some decent luck with contractors here, despite the boom. Look forward to hearing more. I'm having a blast with my new place.

What wall outlets?
                Greg Beron Greg- contractor has no problem running a clean ground. He also confirmed the foundation is a ufer ground. Any suggestions for a terminal/block at the room end of things? I suppose I could mount a copper buss bar, but was looking for something smaller. Thanks for the idea-- I've certainly seen these things over the years, and had my share of groping for a good ground in the room, but just didn't think of it. Let me know if you have a terminal end suggestion. Thanks much!

Comment

You can use something like this, or course there are better quality ones maybe try Furutech.
                  If you want one of these just send me your address and I'll ship you one, no cost.
                  Basically it's an inwall speaker binding post, single unit. I have a whole box of them in stock.

Attached Files

Comment

You can use something like this, or course there are better quality ones maybe try Furutech.
                    If you want one of these just send me your address and I'll ship you one, no cost.
                    Basically it's an inwall speaker binding post, single unit. I have a whole box of them in stock.

many thanks for the response, Greg, and the kind offer. I found a larger copper buss bar on isolation mounts, it is a little more involved than a single plug-- my contractor has worked w/ them before-- he said he's happy to cut it down to size if needed. I will get the bespoke lumber dude to fabricate me a nice chunk of longleaf pine on which to mount it. This thing is coming together! More as it happens.

Comment

• Greg Beron
                      Greg Beron commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cool sounds like a good solution. Should look good too.
                      I know you will be happy you did this long after the cost and agrivation has been forgotten.

• mep
                      mep commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The copper bus bars on isolation mounts that were designed to be ground points are really nice.

Making progress. Slab is poured for the transformer, wiring basically done. The copper buss bar arrived for the clean ground- man, it is a hunk of metal. Now, in the process of gathering materials to have a silencer box built for my air compressor. The last time around, I soundproofed the walk-in closet where the compressor was located- that was a lot of work. This will be a box, made out of a double layer of particle board, and lined with a material consisting of mass loaded vinyl sheathed on both sides with melamine foam. Will use green glue between the boards, acoustic caulk and have intake and exhaust baffles built, also lined with the acoustic foam/mass loaded vinyl. There is some stuff called 'Fire Putty" that is apparently soundproof that I will use to seal up any holes, like those for the power line and air line.
                    MinusK has been ordered along with the matching stand.
                    Putting an existing system into a new space is just as much work as starting from scratch.

Comment

A few pics of the upstairs room where the system will be residing for now.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	837.6 KB
ID:	54598

Comment

Back wall- yes that archway has a door that will be trimmed in rubber damping material: Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0432.JPG Views:	1 Size:	794.9 KB ID:	54600

Comment

Working...
                        X