EMI Shielding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMI Shielding

I do lots R&D and EMI shielding is always an interesting topic and BTW not easy to do correctly.

This company has some turn key items for the non do it yourself crowd, so I thought I would pass on some of their interesting items.
    They do have some interesting and borderline strange items to ponder....

See link to their web page bottom of post.

Wall outlet covers provide shielding.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a723-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	12.1 KB ID:	57584
    Circuit breaker box shielding.

Click image for larger version  Name:	a277.gif Views:	1 Size:	8.5 KB ID:	57585
    Picture that covers the power panel for shielding.

Click image for larger version  Name:	poster1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.5 KB ID:	57587Click image for larger version  Name:	poster2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	8.0 KB ID:	57589
    Decorative loovers that cover the power panel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	shutters3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.4 KB ID:	57588

If all else fails you can always shield yourself!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	a279-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	57586

Will an aluminum foil hat work too?

Comment

• Greg Beron
      Greg Beron commented
      Editing a comment
      Based on your unfortunate motorcycle experience I think you should wear a full suit of armor made of military grade titanium....
      I'm talking a full suit of armor head to toe with just a small slit to look through!
      STAY SAFE BRO!

• Bruce B
      Bruce B commented
      Editing a comment
      Riding weather is here..... If you come across one of those suits, send it my way!!!

Stillpoints has sold their ERS EMI/RFI sheets for a while now. Have to admit have two sheets here but never tried them. Bruce suggested trying the ERS sheets on the electrical panel. Anyone given the ERS a try?

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

The importance of shielding can not be overstated,
      That being said the shielding of electrical panels and wall outlets is another way to separate you from your money. EMI shields should be implemented in the enclosure If a piece of equipment has the power supply within the same enclosure, this is where it really serves it purpose, however it is never a good idea to have equipment built in such a way, The best sounding equipment always has separate regulated power supplies with a minimum 3 ft shielded umbilical cord. All power cords feeding the power supplies or related equipment should be shielded. Interconnect cables have a more open sound with no shield ( "air is the best dielectric" Arthur Loesch. ) That being said, the shielded cables are sold as a band aid to solve the problem of wire management, electrical and signal wire should never be bundled and always have at least 10 inches of air around and underneath. If they have to cross, it should be at 90 dgr and still maintain the air space. this is not an easy task for most homes or apt spaces This should always be the first goal of any audiophile, the black background and air around the music can not be achieved in a purer way. No amount of shielding will keep the induction out of the signal if the wires are running parallel to each other. Any wire management is better than none at all.The final tweak for wire management is to use only 1 circuit that is dedicated / isolated with a 200 % ground conductor that achieves less than 3 ohms to ground. Combined with a balanced transformer distribution panel. Using multiple circuits is the worst approach as they will cause feedback to each other.

Before you dig in your wallet for the latest and greatest band aid, try a little wire management as best that can be done ( any is better than none) and you may just find that you do not need those triple shielded gold/silver carbon coated cables that you have been drooling over.

Comment

Don - I agree with you re:shielded cables. I have experimented with the exact cable/length and shielded always closes in the sound. If you absolutely need it ....but otherwise.....

Comment

Working...
        X