Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlled Power Transformer has landed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to feel your going to be better off and it may take a bit to get there in knowing the amount of improvment.
    Audio has many variables and we are most of them.
    I did many trials in my one room Horror show
    some were obvious some are not. I think and I am guessing our hearing as it is based on known past sounds needs time to hear close chAnges. So changes that you know are instant what you don't take a bit to learn.
    I learned that from years of headphones use.
    One of my dacs rolls output tubes many kinds
    300b to 6A3 45/ 101d / px 45 / 242 and 25 and many more. The point is to define each set took some time to develope. Your room will do the same.
    Enjoy completing the work and now learn about what you have done. And please share with all of us.

Comment

Hey Bill. What is the verdict on the isolation transformer. I doubt you can compare it to what it was like without it, but do you find it showing positive improvement. What sort of gains do you feel you achieved. Do you notice any negative. Thanks
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
        Hey Bill. What is the verdict on the isolation transformer. I doubt you can compare it to what it was like without it, but do you find it showing positive improvement. What sort of gains do you feel you achieved. Do you notice any negative. Thanks
        Rex- no negatives. The system is dead quiet. I have more power than I need, given the system I use-- horns, low power SETs, a few subs and front end electronics. I can't say that it is a night and day difference for the following reasons: I had all the wiring done and ran with that while waiting for the transformer, so was already using dedicated lines, separate subpanel w/ copper buss bar, etc.
        The system has gotten dialed in more to this new place, both in terms of physical placement and in terms of adjustments to crossovers, turntable settings, etc.
        Things sound better here than in NY for several reasons that may have nothing to do with the transformer-- different room and associated acoustics, the addition of the Minus K isolation platform, which I added mainly to avoid footfall issues not to "improve" the sound but I think it makes a difference- (hard to make a direct comparison with and without that); I think the power here is cleaner from the pole than it was in NY, though I was out in the country, no heavy industry or buildings nearby my NY place. If one measure is the amount of grainy white noise coming out of the horn when the system is cranked up (and you have to put your ear right in the horn to hear anything), this system is quieter. I'm not sure that is a measure of anything, but the fact that there is less steady state hash on the line with an ear next to the driver at full gain must signify something, no?
        Also, I think this contractor did a better wiring job than my NY electrician, FWIW. That has nothing to do with the transformer and may also account for what i'm describing.
        I guess there's a peace of mind thing too. I don't worry about the surges and the surge protection built into the thing doesn't really seem to compromise the sound but that's one of the issues I knowAlbert Porter was concerned with. His system places much greater current demands on the electrical system than mine, so that's another factor. But, given how sensitive horns are at 104db/meter, you hear pretty much any nasty on the line.

Comment

Bill do use a TRI point for signal grounding ? Or have you considered it. Glad the sound is good. Taking all the precautions for great sound is insurance of having it. Having a dead silent system is good , but as I posted there can be inprovemnt beyond silence . Noise can be in the music
          in digital it makes the music tense . When it's lowered its an obvious relaxing of the sound. Is your system signal balanced ?

Comment

An example of an balanced ISO transformer .

Comment

AL, i have no digital in the main system. To the extent I employ any tweaks, like DSP for the subs, or the Acoustic Revive Schumann, I run them into a multichannel bench style linear transformer that is not tied to the system outlets.
              As to balanced, I have an Equi=Tech 10kVa wall cabinet that is just sitting, it isn't installed.
              No, no Tri point. I'm a retired pensioner living on my investments.
              The output of the Controlled Power transformer is not set up as balanced.
              As to system signal, not really, single ended RCA from the phono cartridge; XLR out from the phono to the line stage; XLR out from the line stage to the Lamms, but those aren't balanced (SET); I do prefer the grip/contact of the XLR over the RCA input on the amps just as a matter of connector.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

The 10 Kva your not using.
                Is it 240 volt input and 120 output. ?
                Do you want to sell it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                  Thanks for the reply.

The 10 Kva your not using.
                  Is it 240 volt input and 120 output. ?
                  Do you want to sell it ?
                  It is, if memory serves, 240 in and 60-0-60 out. It is about 400 lbs. I think it is basically the same unit that Mike Lavigne has, with a bunch of 20 amp breakers.
                  Sure, happy to get rid of it~ the shipping is going to cost though, since it is out west and you are in the NE, right? Or you have a place in Florida? Just PM me and we can talk.
                  Pretty sure (i can verify, it has been a while) that it is this model:
                  10WQ 120/60V 100A 10-20A yes 50A@208 / 240V
                  60Hz
                  385 lbs

Comment

That's great Bill. Glad it has been a success. Power is so important. I am still amazed at how much any small change in power makes impacts to the whole system.
                    What horns are you using. I listened to a set when I was in VA a couple weeks ago. They left me scratching my head wondering why I don't have horns. A audio friend has been encouraging me to try them for years. Once you hear horns in an environment where you can sip some wine and really relax!!!! I actually teared up during Dylan's Blowing in the Wind. The intonations of his voice were so clear. I really understood he was reciting a poem to music.
                    Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3S, Rega RP6 customized, Allnic H1201, RT Audio Ultra USB Orpheus EX, Mojo Audio Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
                      That's great Bill. Glad it has been a success. Power is so important. I am still amazed at how much any small change in power makes impacts to the whole system.
                      What horns are you using. I listened to a set when I was in VA a couple weeks ago. They left me scratching my head wondering why I don't have horns. A audio friend has been encouraging me to try them for years. Once you hear horns in an environment where you can sip some wine and really relax!!!! I actually teared up during Dylan's Blowing in the Wind. The intonations of his voice were so clear. I really understood he was reciting a poem to music.
                      That system looks like one that was covered some years ago in one of those 'on the road' articles-
                      I have a pair of Avantgarde Duos circa 2006-7. They have the improved woofers, but were made before the Omega driver upgrade. They play very well with the Lamm ML2 SET and I augment the lowest octave(s) with a pair of 15" subs, keeping the integrated AvG woofers on the tame side, so they blend more easily into the mid-horn. There is something special about horns, but I know they are polarizing. I haven't used a 'box' speaker for my 'main' system since about 1973, when I bought my first pair of Quad ESLs, so I've always been an outlier.

Comment

Working...
                      X