BALANCED POWER

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kingrex,

A DC filter circuit would be in series with the hot (live) and is not just a cap, I can email a circuit diagram to you please use the contact form on my website. Does your hum vary in intensity, ie sometimes quiet, then audibly ramp up and down? Also, place the transformers on compliant silicon gel pads or similar, not direct onto a hard casework.
    The 2.4Kva you mention would be the max capacity of the transformer, but it will most likeley be running at far less with your system. 12Kva is not neccessary for one system.
    Hum from loudspeakers is also possibly gnd loop? Getting rid of all noise is the route to audio nirvana..

Rgds,
    Paul.
    https://zaxisaudio.com/

Comment

Thanks Paul. Maybe we can talk later. Yes it comes and goes in intensity. Sometimes its all pretty quiet. I did just blow a power tube so maybe my drivers are tired also. That may have something to do with the out of the speaker noise. My amps may need new smoothing caps too. They are probably older than 15 years. I have had 5 or 6 amps here and every unit does hum with great intensity. I have shut every CB off in the house accept to the audio rack and it still hums. I currently have one power distribution strip fed by 1 circuit with 4 receptacle in it, all star wired. I have though of something like an Entrique to address any possible grounding issue. I did lace some bare 14 awg between the equipment cases but it did nothing.

I get a DC block is more than a few caps on a diode. I also assume the materials are far more expensive than the Panasonic parts I tried. I have considered an off the shelf product but want it in my electrical equipnent space, not on a shelf. I have to much stuff between my speakers. I have been scratching my head on how to get rid of some.
      I do have an Akiko Corelli in place. That is one of the only items I tried that seemed to open up the top end and add more air and ease to the music without adding the ominous "veil " over the sound. Feeding all my gear with a ofc cord direct from the panel to the distribution strip also had a pretty large impact on adding a level of quiet in the background.

I always wonder about the 12 to 15 kva Equitech units. I have see the power meters on Mike's Dartzeel peek at maybe 20 Watts. I'm sure he has seen peeks much higher, but were talking 140 watt peek with a transformer supplyng about 12,000 Watts. I sometimes wonder how the transformer performs well. When I provided electrical distribution switchgear for square D, I was taught a transformer loves a good stable 80% load 24/7. They don' really like to be idling. Of course most reviews I read say the units work just fine for the intended purpose.
      Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

I know my Topaz line isolation balanced power transformer is quite different than what other audio designed units are. I have a simple 2.4 kva Topaz transformer. Due to some hum I am having, Intermittent hum, I put my transformer back into service. I made a decent double duplex box and fed it with 12 feet of the ofc cord I like from the transformer. From the panel to the transformer I used 10/2 Romex. My amps just reacts with this transformer. When I powered it via the transformer they buzzed louder mechanically and through the speakers. Even the transformer in the basement was pissed and making all sorts of noise. The bass was almost inaudible. Really not a match for my amps. I also tried putting my music server's linear power supply into the transformer receptacle. It had no impact on audible mechanical noise and also limited bass and dynamics. I put everything back into my single distribution power strip that has an Akiko Corelli plugged into it and actually had a moment of - Ahhhh, that sounds good. So that is my experience with a small balanced power transformer that is not designed for audio use.
        Pure Audio Project Trio 10/Voxativ, Transition Audio 811A Triode monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI, Custom TT with Vertere tone arm, Allnic H1201, Denon 103R Midas Saphire with line contact diamond. Mojo Audio CAT Server with remote Illuminati power supply, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC. Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Rex have you tried lifting the ground on the secondary and making it it’s own bonding like you do at the service
          mom the Main circuit breaker
          point is if the ground is common on primary and secondary not much is going on in isolation.
          Also isolate anything involved in your audio room.
          Dc offset does not course hum , not anytime I ever seen it.
          If you wish call me. It’s better if I say it then post it anyway

Comment

https://www.pooraudiophile.com/2015/...ansformer.html

http://sound.whsites.net/articles/xfmr-dc.htm

read the above and I am not saying to buy this prodcut but the maker does explain partly what it is and why it happens. One thing to consider is if the input of the iso is 230’meaning two of the three phases it’s far better off.
            A 110 volt iso is not the way to go if it can be avoided it’s one issue solved.
            Rex have you measured voltage from each of the output legs to the case of your iso. Do this while removing the bonding jumper on the secondary have nothing plugged in
            it should near zero. Also have you tried a mega on it
            both primary and secondary sides again all wires and grounding of Both sides removed.
            I say this coz it also can be leakage of the iso windings as well.

Comment

So weird, nothing has changed in my system from how I normally always run it. Possibly 2 circuits are off in my panel that the fed other devices at my audio rack such as TV and Roku. I also shoved around some Cat6 cables. This morning my entire rack is dead quiet. There is absolutely no buzz at all coming out of the high end. The bases have the ever-so-slight slight slightest slightest hum. I am totally baffled as to how it has transformed overnight.
              The performance is outstanding. It sure says something for clean power.

Comment

I did do something different. I had both of my amplifiers plugged into the center of my power strip next to each other. This is also right next to the plug for the Akiko Corelli. I now have them plugged in on Polar Opposites of the distribution strip. What's interesting is my internal wiring takes a 4 gauge from the entry to the box and attaches it to both ends of the receptacle chain. From there in and out of each receptacle front to back, back to front.

Comment

Working...
                X