Hurricanes coming through

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricanes coming through

I wish everyone well with a safe outcome if Hurricane Barry passes through our friends in Louisiana.

I am not talking about those kind of hurricanes though. I just burned in a pair of AQ high current Hurricane power cords and the the difference to my Shunyata's has been profound on the dual power supplies of the Aesthetix Io.The power supplies consume more power than some amps about 400w each.

Exquisite detail in the lower registers, quieter and better sense of space. This may be the sweet spot in their line up as the price goes up from here.

I spent a lot of time on interconnects over the last year and settled on the Cardas Clear beyond.( first Cardas product I am very enthusiastic about) I am an agnostic on cable types I use what sounds best and do not fuss on all one brand.

These AQ are really worth the try if you can get an audition- I am going to say they are a bargain as far as high end cords go. Power cords will make more of a difference than any other type of wire in your system IMO. YMMV.

I have run them now for a couple a weeks and they are still impressive. I will get in the Dragons to try against these and see what they sound like. The only drawback is they are exceedingly stiff and although as short length may have worked for you in the past this type may require and extra 1/2 meter to get where you are going. I will get one more, at least and use it for my amp in the coming weeks.

If you are curious they would be well worth a try.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2275 (002).jpg Views:	40 Size:	123.4 KB ID:	119438
    Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
    Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
    Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
    Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
    Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
    Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Thanks, the new AQ power cords are getting alot of great write ups. I have a friend who just moved to them too, he loves them. I agree completely that power cords have a huge effect on sound of a system.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
    DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

• kcin
      kcin commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are some serious amps you have there- congratulations. I really like those Audionets.

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Took me awhile (2 years) to work up the Audionet line from AMP1V2 stereo to AMP monoblocks to the MAX amps. Spoon feeding the wife the idea of a second pair. Spoons still full....

Are you just using the Hurricane on your phonostage or do you have more pieces throughout the system?

I find cables tend to fall into two camps:

1. Nice mids but colored;
    2. Very detailed and transparent but lack enough midrange presence.

It's rare to find a PC that does it all. Of course, the acid test and what separates the men from the boys when it comes to PC is how they work with amplifiers. Most cables fall on their face in his area.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers with SPod feet
    -cj 40th Anniversary ART300 monoblock amplifiers
    -Merrill Audio Elemente 116 monoblock amplifiers
    -cj GAT preamplifier Series 2 preamplifier
    -Doshi V3.0 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• kcin
      kcin commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the dual power supplies on the Io . I'm using the Hurricanes on each of the power supplies. No Hurricane on my amp yet. That will be the next experiment.

For the amp its unconventional, bandwidth limited from 100hz down and its a direct drive for my panels (voltage not so much current) so it won't have the traditional problems of power sucking complex crossovers and their phase correction.

So yes, I agree that conventional amps on speakers that are incredibly demanding will have variable results with power cords, speaker cables etc. It really is a design philosophy of the industry to keep everything in one box ( no active crossovers) -so you have passive crossovers with caps the size of coke cans that interact with everything behind , phase , timing, freq domain etc. Self fulfilling prophecy- big speakers need big amps and on and on. That's another thread!,

I would think the Io is the greatest place to try new power cords given your amp and speakers.

I am using the Shunyata Alpha HC on the Io. Probably the most I can invest for some time. No doubt the Io power supplies are hungry and will benefit from better geometry and increased gauge. What Shunyata power cord did you replace?

Comment

• kcin
      kcin commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Dan,

I used one of the Alpha Shunyata series... I can't remember which- I can check if you want. I find the lineage terminology very confusing to remember over time. With Magico speakers I am lost on the lineage and progression-- I'm sure it makes sense if you are a dealer.

On the cords, I am certain Shunyata is very competitive with its newer offerings ... time for a change , the price point was good and I think the performance is excellent, I have had SIltechs and some others through . For the money these actually are SOTA if they fit your sonic priorities.

Bait and switch!

Comment

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      Whatsat cable burner you using Nick?

• kcin
      kcin commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Bill,

This is Alan Kafton's Audiodharma burner. I bought it on a lark. Tried and was convinced. I lent it to two friends within the group and they each bought their own.

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks.

The Alpha HC is 2x conductor the Alpha analog. My main beef is try to bend these cables as they 2x stiffer.

The AQ Hurricanes they have been well received. Enjoy the upgrade.

Comment

I picked up a 2M Thunder to try a couple days ago and I like it alot. I'm using on my DAC now, but will switch it to my preamp and keep my KS Emotions every where else. This is a nice combo when used with the Emotion cable. My goal is an Elation! or newer model Sensation on preamp, until then this will work out nice...and the price is right.
      SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
      DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
      PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono
      PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
      AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
      SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
      CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

I have one Synergistic R Level 2X on order. Never had a SR but I recently installed their Blue outlets and I have been impressed by the results. I plan to use the PC on my Pass 150.8. I’ll report the result when I receive and get some hours on it.
        TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Transfiguration Proteus Cart; Arcam R Phono Preamp; Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer; VTL 6.5 preamp, Pass Labs 150.8 Amp; Piega C711 Loudspeakers; Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls; Shunyata Hydra 8; Shunyata AC Cords; Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite Level 2X AC Cords, Audio Art Ref balanced ICs, MIT Oracle IC and Magnum Speaker Cables; Schiitt Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD700 Headphones; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Comment

I’ve also found that AC cables can have a profound effect on the sound of your system - especially amps, as Myles pointed out, and power conditioners - but, like signal bearing cables, there is no one answer for every system. For example, shunyata works wonders in my brother’s MC275/AP Virgo system (set up for near field listening - a truly immersive experience), but in my system shunyata made the sound flat and dull. I’ve stuck with the Marigos for all these years because: 1. they’ve vanquished all challengers, and 2. Ron Hedrich stands behind his products forever (although I haven’t bought anything but a cd mat from him in the last ~20 years, he was still happy to help me out last year, when I needed to convert one of my ultra 2 cables from 15 to 20 amp iec, and never once tried to upsell me to a newer, more expensive cable - he appears to think about his cables as if they were his children).

Enjoy!
          SME 10/IV, Lyra Kleos, Cotter Mk. 2L sut, BAT VK-D5 (diy ‘six-pak’ upgrade), Audioengine B1 bluetooth receiver/dac (for Spotify), Plinius Hautonga, Totem Forest Signatures, MIT Shotgun S1 phono, Shotgun S1 Proline (cd player), Shotgun S1 speaker cable, RGPC Substation and1200S, Marigo Ultra and Reference power cords, Burson Soloist SL, Sennheiser HD-600 with Dekoni hybrid pads and Cardas wire, VPI 16.5 and other miscellaneous and sundry widgets, thingamabobs and doodads.

Comment

Working...
          X