Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reterminating Power Cables

Hi all,

Looking to turn two 20 amp connectors to 15 amp. They are Running Springs HZ. Curious how tough it would be two swap connectors. Anyone do this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Those are awesome power cables!! CHacoustic can reterminate for you. They are the original designer and made the first round of the Crown Jewel power cords for running springs audio.

http://chacoustic.com/index.html

I have the XP20 power cable.
    Last edited by dan31; 07-05-2017, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dan, I check them out. I'm a huge fan of these cables, I have a full loom now with a Dmitri. I have swapped out many a Shunyata and Cardas, but the HZ just seems to do everything better. No detrimental effects, that i can tell

Comment

Originally posted by jeffk View Post
        Hi all,

Looking to turn two 20 amp connectors to 15 amp. They are Running Springs HZ. Curious how tough it would be two swap connectors. Anyone do this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
        Why do you want to change them, they fit standard 15 amp outlets just your plugs are rated for 20 amp operarion.

david

Manufacturer: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack
        Distribution: NEODIO

Special Sales: van den Hul
        Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Unique Items: Vintage Horn Speakers
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
        http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

Originally posted by jeffk View Post
          Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
          It's easy to change a C19 connector to C15. I reterminate power cables all the time and highly recommend Furutech connectors, especially the FI-11 Rhodium and the very pricey FI-50 NCF for my reference cables. However, if you are uncomfortable with this kind of mod, it is better to have someone with experience do the work for you. It can be a liability issue if you end up burning your house down of damaging your equipment.

Retermination is easy if you have cables with typical wire gauge and jackets. If you have extremely large wire and or with shrink tube, epoxy, etc., it can be tricky and may require an OEM to do the work.
          Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
          Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
          Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
          Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
          Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
          Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
          Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
          A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
          Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post
            Why do you want to change them, they fit standard 15 amp outlets just your plugs are rated for 20 amp operarion.

david
            If the plugs are 15 amp prong configuration as Dave says I agreee with his commnent. And am asking the same question lol. Can you post a pic of the plug please.
            analog stuff.
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
            otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
            sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
            new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
            thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
            thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
            kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
            phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

I thinks he is referring to the IEC inlet plug to a component. 15 amp being different than 20 amp.

Comment

Originally posted by dan31 View Post
                I thinks he is referring to the IEC inlet plug to a component. 15 amp being different than 20 amp.
                Generally speaking switching out connectors is an easy swap with audiophile cords,just unscrew and remove the existing one and replace it with another. The issue is replacing the shrink wrap with manufacturer's mark on it which is just a cosmetic matter and thick anacondas can be a PIA to work with.

david

Industry Representation: Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformer, Venta Airwasher

Comment

Originally posted by david k View Post

Generally speaking switching out connectors is an easy swap with audiophile cords,just unscrew and remove the existing one and replace it with another. The issue is replacing the shrink wrap with manufacturer's mark on it which is just a cosmetic matter and thick anacondas can be a PIA to work with.

david
                  I've watched Joe Pittman do multiple plug switching on my dozen of so power cords. maybe anyone can do it; but doing it really right is another thing. it takes proper tools and an understanding of what the variables are....as far as tightness and method.

I would pay close attention to Joe's perspective.
                  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/615

Comment

Joe comes across to me as a very skilled and educated person at what he does. Any answer he gives is filled with knowledge and experience. Having said that I wonder just what the original post was about. I have never seen an IEC inlet other than two ways. One had two prongs and most have three. A 20 amp or 15 amp conf if I have no clue
                    analog stuff.
                    new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
                    Dacs lampi various

Comment

Originally posted by Alrainbow View Post
                      Joe comes across to me as a very skilled and educated person at what he does. Any answer he gives is filled with knowledge and experience. Having said that I wonder just what the original post was about. I have never seen an IEC inlet other than two ways. One had two prongs and most have three. A 20 amp or 15 amp conf if I have no clue
                      20 amp C-19 has horizontal blades instead of vertical ones like C-13 type, if that's the case with his cords.

david

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1013.JPG Views:	1 Size:	16.1 KB ID:	58447

Comment

There are plenty of adapters you can use Jeff, and of course choice of standard or overpriced audiophile versions!

david

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	58452

Comment

Lol yea sure he will use it , so one spends 500 or more ona power cord then use an adaptor oh hell no. I would and not care and honestly don't here power cords beyond
                          increasing the gauge min 14 and 10/8 gaguge for amps.
                          Amd I am. It claiming they don't improve sound as there is way too many people that say they do. So I must me missing something.
                          analog stuff.
                          Dacs lampi various

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. I wanted to change a C19 to a C13. I talked to the designer of the cable and he stated it is hard wired to the connector so it cant be easily reterminated. He did state my voodoo c1-13 adapters were as good as they make with no SQ reduction and didn't try to sell me anything. Nice long and thorough reply from CH audio, highly recommend this company. For Alrainbow, come by anytime to hear the difference power cables make. It is not subtle in my system and I have dedicated 20amp lines.

Comment

I faced the same issue when I my new amps required 20 amp connectors. I was recommended to buy Voodoo adapters instead of reterminating the power cables.

Comment

Working...
                              X