Surge protection/power bar for $1k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surge protection/power bar for $1k?

I need a power conditioner/surge protector for $1k or less just for my front end. Any thing I should look at besides the normal few?
    System has no noise at all, my listening room has 150 amp box run from outside and is completely seperated from the house power. But, the storms and power going off and on here this year is starting to worry me. Any ideas on the cheaper side?
    Have looked at the following.
    Audioquest Niagara 1200
    Isotek EVO 3
    Shunyata PS8
    Looking for minimal (if any) added color to system. I can get by with four outlets. Two digital, two analog. Thanks!
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
    DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono. KandK Premium SUT, Lundahl LL1931 1:8 and 1:16
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Couple questions for you, Tom. You say that the 150 amp panel is completely separate from your household power? Do you mean that it doesn't share a ground with the household service either? Do you have a separate service path (from the street) to this panel? My understanding is that Code requires the system ground, even for dedicated panels, to tie back to the main service ground.
    I use a whole house surge protector for a first step- the one I use is not "audiophile approved" but well regarded (an Eaton), cheap and is sacrificial (when it is fried, the LED lights will indicate as much and it is replaced). It mounts next to the panel.
    I can't offer advice on a point of use surge protector/conditioner- my experience is too dated (I had some Shunyata stuff many years ago). I do have a second stage of surge protection in a large ISO transformer that feeds the system subpanel and go "bareback" from there. In really violent electrical storms, I will pull power to the system. You are right to ask which point of use protectors have minimal sonic effect--that's the reason I avoid them. I'll be interested in other's responses.

Comment

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure I'm up to code since the city had to come inspect the work when I had the panel iinstalled. The power is split at the cable from main power input to house. Then another 12' or 15' ground was dug and added to audio room panel.
      It's pretty much the most seperation from house power i could do without a new pole i guess.
      Anyway, I've had many power conditioners too, probably been through at least 8 different models from 6 different companies. Day one i like them all, but as i go through my music collection none have shown to be better than not using them.
      I've talked to my electrician and he said to do whole house it would take one per panel or just one to cover only listening room.
      I'm not looking for sonic improvements, just a little protection. I'll probably end up moving in a year or so. Having one i can take with me seems like a better idea than installing at the panel.
      Right now i'm leaning toward trying the isotek .

• Bill Hart
      Bill Hart commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like they make quite a range of products, from strips to larger power conditioners. It would be good to buy one from a retailer that allows a return if you don't like what it does to the sound. The whole house surge protector I'm using is inexpensive and may be worth adding to the panel even if you are planning to move. I'm not sure any of these things fully immunizes you in the case of a catastrophic electrical event, but it will give you a little more peace of mind. Like you, I heard the effect of any of these things- from Furmans and Richard Grays (though I liked his 240v step down which i bought many years ago for a home theatre) to the Zero Surge (which I use to keep my Quad ESL panels powered up 24/7 and aren't directly in the signal chain).
      We get some pretty strong storms here in Texas. Where are you?

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm in Northern Va. Not as strong as Texas storms, but they have been an almost daily deal. If I get any at all it will be from musicdirect or someone like that.

I like and recommend the Environmental Potentials EP-2050. I got one because I have blown some components overtime due to power surges. Since going to the EP-2050, I've had no issues. Don't know if it will deal with lightning strikes, I recommend you contact them and ask. I have had other devices with MOV's which failed to protect my equipment. So far I have not detected any negative impact on sound quality. I still use IsoTek power conditioners to deal with noise...

Here is what they say about it on their website:
    Residential

According to the Small Business Association more than 24 million people in the United States work from home offices. Combined with the fact that a typical home can have tens of thousands of dollars of electronic equipment and it is evident that power quality is not just for businesses.

Computers, home theatre systems, printers, fax machines and televisions all receive high voltage AC and convert it to low voltage DC. This generates transient energy and frequency noise which is extremely harmful the life span and function of this equipment.

Finally industrial strength technology, without the industrial price tag.

Click image for larger version  Name:	EP 2050.JPG Views:	0 Size:	21.2 KB ID:	121704

E-2050
    • 12.5kA Protection Per Mode
    • Eliminates Noise Between 3kHz-1MHz
    • Designed for Residential Application
    • Patented Waveform Correction Technology
    http://ep2000.com/uploads/EP-2050_Se...ifications.pdf

Comment

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking just an Evo3 Sirius to see what I think. For me perfection would be not even knowing it's been added, but feeling better if power goes out while I'm away from home.

• tom_hankins
      tom_hankins commented
      Editing a comment
      Joe, I'm not sure I'm reading the EP-2050 info right. Do you use one of these for the entire panel, or will I need pretty much one per 20amp line, or do I add a 30amp breaker to box just for it?
      Thanks

• Joe Pittman
      Joe Pittman commented
      Editing a comment
      It's installed in the panel (actually bolted to the side) and uses one breaker. It covers everything powered by the panel.

I have used many conditioners in the past. A big problem is what do you do if you have a power surge and the device fails to protect the component? I was using a very popular conditioner, I had a spike and my $30,000 preamp was destroyed, the conditioner (who's name I will not mention) was just fine. My point is that manufacturers will make claims of the conditioners capabilities, but will they compensate you if you have a problem? How well will they work in your application? I have not found any company that can answer all of the questions.

I like the IsoTek conditioners because they reduce noise without doing "much" harm. All devices impart a sonic signature. In my case, the IsoTek does more good than bad, so it continues to work for me. So the trick is getting devices that work when you need them for power issues but get out of the way in your normal day-to-day listening. Don't know the best strategy other than doing your research like this and trying some...

Comment

I was going to suggest the EQUI=CORE 300 power conditioner for $799, but apparently they took it off the market. Also, when i tried going to the CorePower website, it wanted to change my default browser, without saying to what! Looks like they've been hacked.
      I use a Pi Audio Uber Buss that did wonders for cleaning up the sound of my system, but it specifically does not offer surge protection.
      Steve Lefkowicz
      Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
      --------------------------------------------------------
      http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...ounding-system

Comment

How many watts do you need ?
        Is this all 125 volt one 20 amp circuit ?
        if anyone has tried a few or more of the power conditioner types I would try two other kinds
        one my first is a ps audio P10 regen
        it is a surge protector and a true isolation regen
        not for amps but great for all other uses. I use one on my complete front end. It's fed by a 20 k iso transformer as such completely off the grid in grounding.
        Buy used to try
        the second is passive conditioning it is just used to lower line noise only. No line conditioning. So no dc offset or grounding help.
        Feed it with a good surge protector and you meet your needs.
        Again try used dinali 5000 is very good
        ps I don't sell or make products but do feel we need help in power big time in audio.
        speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
        mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
        digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
        Dacs lampi various

Comment

You can go with a fancy name SPD, or get an industry standard Square D unit. Square D come as a basic residential unit that nipples to the side of your panel. They make more industrial models too. We put them in switch gear and switch boards all the time. Equipment feeding data centers and hospitals as well as military. The more robust units can coat $1,000 per phase and need a box to mount them in.

No matter the SPD you get, unplug your equipment if lightning is around. They will maybe survive a stike and work again , maybe not. Non are designed to handle an overvoltage occurrence . The fuses will open and the internal MOV will no longer provide protection. Overvoltage is neasured in less than 1 second. It's some fraction of a second.

You should also have an iaolatior on your incoming data utility as well as an appropriate SPD on that too.

Ground is king. You want a very effective ground to route the strike directly to earth. Hopefully it wont see any reason to go through your equipment on it's way there.

The more SPD the better. In critical environments they may be on the switchboard, distribution panel, subpanel and at the point of utilization. At home that might be a set at both your panels, data utility and a unit plugged into an unused receptacle next to your audio equipment, I don't know if this will have a negative or positive impact on sound .

I personally have a Square D Home SPD on my panel and an isolator on my data utility. I have an excellent ground and bonding. I pretty much never see lightning here. My equipment is all insured through my homeowners policy. I verified coverage.
          PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
          Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
          Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

• Joe Pittman
            Joe Pittman commented
            Editing a comment
            Very helpful Rex! This is the sort of thing we need. A systematic and multifaceted strategy. It is a complex issue.

Thanks for all the help! I have alot of reading to do. Looks like some sort of protection at the panel combined with something along the lines of an isotek off the wall for the system.
          DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
          PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono. KandK Premium SUT, Lundahl LL1931 1:8 and 1:16
          SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)

Comment

At my home down south my neighbor up the road 1/4 mile away got hit with lighting.
            My home has individual surge battery pack up usps devices in 7 locations. I also have a 20kw back up generator. The ups stops any power sieves too slow to activate surge protectors.
            I run direct tv for tv but still need local coax internet snd there is no fios in sight too far in the woods.
            I use a emo systems net work isolator for data.
            In the end there cable modem got fried lol. Also my direct tv feed splitter too. All not my issue or cost.
            Lighting is an amazingly powerful occurrence and in the past I lost a microwave to it. It's why I went all out to fix it
            a simple cheap plug in surge costing 15 per unit saves many of my non ups devices
            stoves
            fridge
            micro
            wash and dryer and many others
            I thought to get one as Rex says but I feel individual is faster
            simple surge I feel has no effect on audio sound
            speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
            mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
            digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
            Dacs lampi various

Comment

Kind of reiterating what Al and I said, and the suggestion for product Joe made, all the devices we are talking about are stand alone. They're not integrated into any sort of power strip. It's either a standalone emotive or Square D, device connected to your panel, or a device plugged into a receptacle on the same branch circuit with your equipment. I would personally put any receptacle devices at the front of the branch rather than the very end. In other words ahead of your equipment as it relates to the feed from the panel.

The UPS Al is referring to are most likely to protect computers from more than just surges. They are more there to protect against sags or under voltage. Or a complete loss of power. They are USB connected to your computer and intelligent enough to tell the computer to shut down if the power is lost long enough that the UPS batteries can't maintain functionality anymore. I would not put one of these in my audio chain.
              PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
              Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
              Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

I'm ordering two of the EP-2050's one for the house panel, one for stereo room panel, and then decide on which isotek to start with for the front end of my system. Say goodbye to my $1k budget....

Comment

So far I have lost two components to lightning, a cheap solid state preamp and a nice DVD recorder which I cant replace. Surges are real, and they kill electronics.
                  Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Everything ordered and waiting to install. Hoping for Tuesday after RMAF. I'll give my opinions after that. Want to thank everyone for the help!

Comment

Did you buy a power strip? I personally don't like anything in my power strip other than copper wire and good receptacles. I'm not a advocate for power conditioning. I've tried a lot of devices and I can hear them all and what I hear isn't where I'm aiming for.

You know what looks to be a great power strip. The HB cable design Powerslave. I designed my home built acrylic version around that product and absolutely love it. The one Joe Pittman made and posted about is somewhat similar to that too. There are less expensive versions out there that do nothing other than provide additional outlets in a well damped enclosure.

Comment

• tom_hankins
                        tom_hankins commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I have two of the Environmental Potentials EP-2050 for the two panels, and I bought an Isotek EVO3 Sirius bar to use on the front end. If i like it, it will be the first conditioner I've liked so fingers crossed.
                        I don't need the extra outlets, i bought it strictly for a little more surge protection.
                        I have month to try it, so not a big deal. Who knows. Maybe this bar will inspire me to move up the isotek line. Worst case I'm only out a few bucks shipping.

• Kingrex
                        Kingrex commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I actually used an Isotek Syncro on a Rega Osiris and in that instance it overall improved the whole performance of the unit. So I guess I am not all truthful to say I don't find them sounding the way I want. It worked well for one piece of equipment I had in the past. I hope it all works well for you. The EP units should cause no sonic changes. They should just do their job and protect your investment.

• tom_hankins
                        tom_hankins commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's good to hear about the isotek! I was going to start with my DAC first, then add the streamer to the bar, then phonostage, etc.
                        One piece at a time.

most power strip with surge protection use MOVs to absorb the energy / reduce the spikes. The drawback to MOVs
                      is that they "wear out" with every surge making it weaker to the point there is no surge protection left at some unknown point in time.
                      Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Working...
                      X