No announcement yet.

Surge protection/power bar for $1k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My power provider FP&L , offers surge damage insurance for around 20.00 a month. They pay to fix or replace any electrical
    device damaged by power surge. I never considered it so I didn't read the fine print of the contracts.
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Shelter 501 Mark II Cart (St) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (St) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (St) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (M) , Luxman Tonearm (M) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (M) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sony MDR-F1 Phones, Headroom Max balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
      My power provider FP&L , offers surge damage insurance for around 20.00 a month. They pay to fix or replace any electrical
      device damaged by power surge. I never considered it so I didn't read the fine print of the contracts.
      I'd rather just deal with my home owners insurance.
      SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
      DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
      PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono
      PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
      AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
      SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
      CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

• JCOConnell
        JCOConnell commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't know some home owners insurance policies cover this type of damage, in my case its got a thousand dollar deductible.

• Kingrex
        Kingrex commented
        Editing a comment
        I had usaa and recently State Farm, I 100% confirned coverage of my audio gear against theft, fire, lighting etc. Yes homeowners covers audio gear just like it covers your furniture or clothing. Of course, call your agent and confirm. Your agent may deny in zones they deam high risk. Kind of like earthquake ins. Cheap in NY. Hard to even get in certain parts of calif.

You know what can really F your gear. It's when the utility neutral disconnects and any 3 wire branch circuits (2 hots, 1 neutral) go to 240 volt. That will wreck your day. But, all us audiophile know you only run dedicated circuits as 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground. And all on the same phase.

I would really have to map this thought out, but if you had dedicated circuits on 2 different phases and you lost your neutral, would a stereo that is interconnected through interconnects and grounds possibly loup trough the interconnects and go to 240 volt???????? Hmmmmmm. Good reason to just stick with just 1 phase. Run as many dedicated circuits as you like, just all on the same phase.

PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
      Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
      Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Awsome lightning storm last night. My wire and I ran from window to window for 45 minutes watching huge bolts hit everywhere. Before the storm I unplugged everything. Today I could not get my internet to start. Eventually I decided I needed to disconnect my Iso-max cat tv isolator. It appears my isolator did its job as it was blown.
        PAP Trio 10/Voxativ & PAP Trio 15 Horn speakers, Ampsandsound Casablanca monoblocks, First Sound Audio Mark 3SI preamp,
        Mojo Audio Deja Vu server, Mojo Audio Mystique V3 DAC, The Linear Solution Ethernet Switch, Blue Jeans Ethernet cablling,
        Akiko Corelli, Custom power strip direct wired to panel with OFC copper wire. Inakustik Ref Air 2404 Speaker cable. Genesis and Inakustik NF2404 Air Interconnects.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingrex View Post
          Awsome lightning storm last night.
          I turned off my amps. I lost my internet for a while, but didn't have any surges, power outage or issues...

Comment

My 120/240 power was fine. My data isolator took the hit.

Comment

Electrician comes this morning to install the EP-2050's, the Isotek is boxed up and going back. May try one of the bigger Audioquest units down the road, but probably not for a while.
              SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp, Soundsmith Paua mkII, Benz LPS-mr, Benz Ebony H
              DIGITAL - Marantz SA-11S3 sacd/cd/transport, Auralic Vega G2 DAC. Bluesound Node 2i
              PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPS G2 power supply. Lehmann Audio Decade. EAT E Glo Petit & EAT LPS. MoFi Studiophono
              PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
              AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
              SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) SVS SB-4000 subwoofers (x2)
              CABLES: Kubala-Sosna.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK room treatment

Comment

Working...
              X