EMI / RFI & Surge Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMI / RFI & Surge Protection

I think this topic is so big it bears a fresh post. Correct me if I'm wrong...;-)

I recently came upon this company Equi-tech. I wrote off to them and got NO reply. So I wish to know if anyone has used their products here, there was one Q Model for sale the other days so they've sold something, and apparently quite a lot to Professional Studios...

Second and obviously related ... I don't see any evidence here in this discussion so far of EMI or RFI as key components of the 'noise floor' of audio equipment, and resulting power being expended simply processing interference.

Thats one, then I haver recently come across what seems to be a very strong AC Power supply unit from Equi=Tech here: http://www.equitech.com/products/rack/modelqpro.html

Tombo products in Thailand do have some similar units (from Frank power products) but Equi=tech seems dominate the USA in pro and consumer markets beyond Furman and the like.

I liked this story below from some years ago...and wonder what they are doing today...

"When the Model Q was first shown at the Home Entertainment show (San Francisco 2002), the demo room was voted "Best Sound of Show" by the show attendees. It won by a landslide margin over the 2nd place finisher. Then, after winning that prestigious award for 3 consecutive years, show sponsors canceled the "Best Sound of Show" voting completely. When an Equi=Tech Model Q is present in the room, it's just not fair to everyone else. Anyone who believes that power quality isn't an important factor in recreating exciting realistic and accurate sound is seriously mistaken. If you haven't heard your sound system with a Model Q powering it, you are missing something truly great. You might just find yourself replaying all of your old music again and again as if hearing it for the first time with a new appreciation for detail, clarity and remarkable bass definition that you have never experienced before. Many of our customers have told us that their Model Q was the one component above all others in their system that accounted for the biggest difference in sonic quality. " http://www.equitech.com/products/rack/modelqav.html

Other obvious providers in the USA include Isotek, Furman, Panamax.

What I liked about Equitech was they have whole of house wall units as do Tombo. Wish they were here...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TheNoose; 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM. Reason: Added attachment...
    John M. Read PhD CPsychol;
    Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz TT15S1 turntable. Marantz AV8802A SE, Burmester 897 Upgraded with phonostage. Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Line Magnetic 518ia (SG Ver). Time Portal interconnect cables. Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformer. PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs. All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA.

If I am not mistaken, they were pretty big way back then.

Nowaday, you can do much better.

in the past, we have had customers who traded their unit for one of our own custom made one.
    FYI, we are not promoting our product at all.
    We only entertained the trade to our customers as a token of appreciation since they only paid what our cost is.

if you look around, you can do much better than Equitech.

Good luck.
    Hugh Nguyen
    ACA

Comment

I have tried a few myself . For me psaudio P10 or P5 for front end or headphone Amps in multimedia 6 works great and protects your system from damaging surges . While this is all preference I think a regeneration is the way to go . It lowers output impedance while giving a pure sign wave. And with multi wave you can now tune the sign wave as well.
      Simple isolated transformers I think hold back big Amps in bass details .
      Also if you buy from psaudio directly you get 30days trial .
      analog stuff.
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 made new by soren
      otari mtr 10 2 track 1/4 1/2 combo made new by soren
      sota sapphire used eminent tech ver 2 arm
      new sota nova table has magnetic levitation platter and full speed control and latest motor same arm as above
      thorens td124 sme ver 2 arm
      thorens td125 sme ver 2 arm
      kenwood direct drive sme ver 2 arm
      phono preamp Ml no 25 all re capped
      speakers cust infinity IRS V , new caps and LPS , magnets etc.
      mark levivson pre no 26 amps no 33
      digital three cust servers , win ser 2016 , AO
      Dacs lampi various

Comment

I wonder what the impact of a voltage transformer is in audio circuitry.

I have to use one here to drop 220 to 110V for my USA components which are in the majority. I push the 110V signal through to my Furman Elite 20 PFi until one fine day it failed, and went dead. We still don't know what happened. Its working fine now apparently. And...the voltage tranny has surge protection and is also quite fine. A mystery, that cost me to send the Furman back to the USA to get diagnosed with really no result other than hey it works fine.

When It went dead on me I could not restart it at all; no amount of off/on plug out/in rebooted it. I only hope it wasn't the power chord because this will be another headache.
        John M. Read PhD CPsychol;
        Oppo 103D SE, Cocktail Audio X40 SE, Marantz TT15S1 turntable. Marantz AV8802A SE, Burmester 897 Upgraded with phonostage. Emotiva XPA5, Marantz MM8077 SE, Finale Galliard 829B SE, Line Magnetic 518ia (SG Ver). Time Portal interconnect cables. Furman Elite Pfi 20, Power Transformer. PMC Twenty26, Sound Dynamics Centre and Bookshelf Dipole rears, Atacama stands, MartinLogan in-ceilings and rears, IDEA & Velodyn 12" subs. All SE by The Upgrade Company, Michigan USA.

Comment

Working...
        X