PerfectWave P5 vs Torus RM20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by allenh View Post
    I saw it at RMAF last year. They are huge. But the size doesn't scare me as much as the price: $30K!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dag4.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	12908
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

• nc42acc
      nc42acc commented
      Editing a comment
      Myles to truly get an idea of its enormity you should have stood beside it and had someone take the picture. It has an ominous look with the glowing lights.

• MylesBAstor
      MylesBAstor commented
      Editing a comment
      I did see it at Axpona. I referred to it as a pirate's treasure chest.

• nc42acc
      nc42acc commented
      Editing a comment
      Great reference Myles.

Myles, I have a Silver Circle TCHAIK 6 on order right now. I see where you have one in a another post (another site!) but only have it hooked up to your source components and not your amps. I am sure you probably experimented with the TCHAIK 6 on the amps too. What were your impressions? I appreciate any input.

Comment

Originally posted by philb7777 View Post
      Myles, I have a Silver Circle TCHAIK 6 on order right now. I see where you have one in a another post (another site!) but only have it hooked up to your source components and not your amps. I am sure you probably experimented with the TCHAIK 6 on the amps too. What were your impressions? I appreciate any input.
      Phil, great question. One reason is that my amps are on different circuits from my front-end (because to my ears they sounded better) so would really need two SC PLCs. Or plugging everything into one circuit that would defeat the purpose of two dedicated lines.More to the point, I don't have the room for another PLC in my room!!! There's no where to move back there right now.

But based on what I've heard in the past and recently (with the AQ Niagara), the whole system benefits (all things being equal) from being plugged in a PLC.

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostage; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Fuuga cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Thanks for the response Myles. I was getting worried you may have thought the SC Tchaik 6 was inhibiting the amps performance a bit. From what I have read, that isn't a problem with the Tchaik 6 but I was certainly wanting your thoughts. Thanks again. By the way, how do you like your Tchaik 6 and what qualities does it bring to your system. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by philb7777 View Post
          Thanks for the response Myles. I was getting worried you may have thought the SC Tchaik 6 was inhibiting the amps performance a bit. From what I have read, that isn't a problem with the Tchaik 6 but I was certainly wanting your thoughts. Thanks again. By the way, how do you like your Tchaik 6 and what qualities does it bring to your system. Thanks again!
          http://www.positive-feedback.com/Iss...lvercircle.htm

This was the basic review. Dave brought it up for me to almost Tchaik 6 level. Just thought the extra Hi Fidelity modules cleaned up the sound a bit more.

Comment

I moved a PS Audio P10 out of my system 3 months ago after seriously considering it's overall contribution,and have been working on an alternative approach since then, thus being a 3 stage balanced supply. All up and running though cosmetically not finished, but there is a remarkeable improvement to be had over the P10 by doing this, especially with digital. 3 independant transformers feed the gain stages, analogue sources and finally digital. This has been the single biggest jump in sonics I've yet experienced. Two ex BBC recording engineer colleagues are visiting this afternoon to do some comparisons; this will be interesting!

https://zaxisaudio.com/

Comment

At one point I had three p10 and two p5 for a complete audio and video setup. For anyone who doubts our power is tainted try a ps audio REGEn on your video I promise an amazing improvment. I use a p5 for the sat box , fios and TV with its video processor a must have in improvment. Now in audio as always things get more complex in what is better. What I have right now is completely not code compliant but sounds the best.
              What I don't get is power cords I never seen one cleanup video like an ISO transformer or REGEN. But yet in audio there is many claims

Comment

You are right, PC's simply can't do what a balanced supply or even a regenerator will do. Many top end power cords would cost more also when you need 8 / 9 / 10!

Comment

True but my honesty hurts some in business and never mean any harm to others nor claim to know better. The Denali from shunyata is a simple filter solution that does work. It can be made yourself if you play with a scope. Point is it works to real varying degrees. But even it effects some ina negative manor. Clean pure power is what we need and the sad part is we buy products costing tens of thousands and one would think the makers would bare burden to filter all out on there side. My Msb does do this to point but not many others do.

Comment

One caveat with the PS Audio P5 is it has a cooling fan which, in my view, is a big no thanks. I did try one before ordering the P10 but like ARC REF power amps in the past, fans no matter how good are not silent and are pretty irritating..
                    I did just read up on the Torus and notice that it is soley an isolating transformer, ie not balanced output; so my comments above regarding the unit I built in comparison to the P10 will not apply here, however, the balanced supply which will be developed into a small scale comercial product next is in another league to the P10 in how it reduces the noise floor to allow significant detail and tonality to show through along with a sound that is very much more out of the speaker, quite thrilling!
                    To the OP, if you are US based, you may consider an Equitech shelf mount unit also?

Rgds,
                    Paul.

Comment

Never tried either of the products in question.

Source first, all things follow, main is the other source.

I still run a regenerative power conditioner on my entire front end, a PS Audio Premier.

Still find it relevent and would contend that no single approach works best in every listening room and with all gear.

Would love to taste test a passive Shunyata Denali setup. I like their power cable results.

Comment

Still using PSAudio P5’s on source components and Torus RM series on main power amps. Never tried the Torus on the source to compare with PS. I didn’t have much motivation to do that a/b back and fourth. Maybe I will when the system moves to a new home this summer.
                        Christian
                        System Gear

Comment

You should try it..

Comment

I'll post my comments , and I'll bet quickly it will be disavowed as non sense due to it being home growen. My hope is some can look past it not being built fir the purpose of audiophiles. Having an electrician coming into your place makes sense , but knowing what he should do is the crutch in this .
                            Checking all connections from panel to outlets is a good idea it assures a good connection that yields a lower imp from the mains .
                            putting all audio on one of the two or three phases is good if your system is using a neutral as USA does but many other countries does not.
                            In the USA avoiding the neutral is a good idea , but if you cannot using one phase for all helps .
                            Ground path is very important and almost no products consider it. Tri point and few others do but at outrageous prices . And yes they do work in fact they work better than most all the other do under some circumstances.
                            If your home is romex your lucky it uses a isolated ground wire that can be used if one has a seprate circuit or circuits .
                            regens work well but don't use on amps unles they are set type with a very efficient speakers the reason is larger amps need vastly higher transients that no REGEn can handle even if they claim too.
                            A iso transformer is best but it too has its own limitations by its core size and its saturation .
                            I owned at one time two P5 and two P10. The p10 not having any fans is nice but they are pretty silent in the 5 .
                            one of the issues in using a REGEn is the fact it does not isolate the ground , it also has its own noises and imp output that will vary by load . It's why in general not good for an amp unless it's a low power one .
                            Even though your power lines may be noisey they have an ultimate type low imp , this is of paramount importance for your amps
                            your audio outlets shroud be a hospital grade ISO lated ground even if you don't have an isolated ground . The reason is the price point is the same and good to have for future updates .

The Path of an audio user is not simple and can lead one to expensive products that lay claim to fixing many wrongs you may feel you have .
                            They sell simple audio outlets that use a simple cap and choke at the rear it greatly lower harmonics on the power lines and if hospital grade is a very good product to use. It's loosely based on the shunyata denali line . Of course sellers here will pummel this comment lol .

have the electrician use your two phases so that certain products are not on this phase.
                            Keep away from
                            tv , cable boxes , desktop , NAS drives , lighting dimmers. , LED lights , HVAc , frigerator . The list is so vast most all don't have room to do so.
                            While the ELECTRICAN is there play music after he has done the install and maintenance. At this point turn on and off the noisey stuff above and note what you may hear or not.
                            A regen does a good job on most of that list. And ISO transformer does not , unless it's balanced or has two phases in and one out . And not grounding the secondary to the primary is a must . But it's not nec code complient unless it's a balanced one.
                            Laslty buy used regens to try if you like it then buy new . Normal ISO transformers Ina cabinet are a waist in many ways . Some do have a high freq noise filters inside. The same kind on the back of those outlets lol.

Comment

Working...
                            X