Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any simple home remedies for warped Lps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any simple home remedies for warped Lps?

While they are fairly rare, I just got in the mail a warped lp that my graham arm and cart cant handle. Are there any simple ways to fix a warped lp?
    Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Furutech LP Flattener DF-2
    http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1790/

Simple, yes. Inexpensive, no.
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
    Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
    SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable
    DAC: Lampizator Golden Gate2

Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

This is the working man's solution: https://vinylflat.com/vinylflatproducts.html

If you buy it, also buy the Groovy Pouch. Its an electric warming pouch that you place the Vinyl Flat into.

That stuff costs a lot less than the Furatech flattener and it does the job. You will need a timer to plug the Groovy Pouch into but you can get these on the internet and its pretty inexpensive. I had a timer that I bought a long time ago so I didn't need to shop around for the timer.

When I need to flatten a LP I place it in the Vinyl Flat and stick that into the pouch. I set the timer for 11 hours if the LP is pretty warped and around 8 if it just needs a bit of help.

The Vinyl flat flattened several LPs for me without any issues.

If you are a real do it yourself guy, you can try buying some pieces of thick glass and have them cut somewhere over 12 x 12 inches. I read a post a long time ago about using the pieces of glass with the LP in between and placing this is an oven. Of course, the problem here is over heating and ruining the LP.

The Vinyl Flat thing above can do the job without having to worry about over heating the LP. Just don't forget that you placed the LP in the pouch.

That is the price for the Furatech thing. With the Furatech you do not have to worry about having a disc in the flattener but you also have to pay thousands more for that automation. Its your money.

Ed
      Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
      https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
      Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
      Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
      Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
      Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
      Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
      Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
      Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
      Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

I have taken warped albums and put them in between two pieces of tile 12x12, turn the oven on to bake till 200 degrees. Then turn the oven off and put the tiles in and leave until the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
          Furutech LP Flattener DF-2
          http://www.furutech.com/2013/02/02/1790/

Simple, yes. Inexpensive, no.
          Furutech’s are actually rebadged Orb LP flatteners which are a little bit less expensive. Highly effective indeed but not cheap. Worth every penny though.

Comment

Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
            While they are fairly rare, I just got in the mail a warped lp that my graham arm and cart cant handle. Are there any simple ways to fix a warped lp?
            https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/t...ord-flatteners
            TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Like and own the Vinyl Flat. Haven't been successful fixing some edge warps though.

Comment

I have an Air Tight flattener, also expensive but simple and safe. Having 15K records with a huge number of box sets which are more susceptible to dish warps (records not packed tightly in the box), I have used the flattener many hundreds (maybe 1000 or more) times. Dish warps are easy, edge warps - ripples around the edge, are not. I also have weighted ring on my VPI TT, so that helps with edge warps.

I looked online and it looks like both the Air Tight and Furutech are rebadged Orb flatteners. I've had my Air Tight for more than a decade - I think it was before the Furutech came out.

BTW, the highly regarded Classic Records 45RPM reissues which were pressed on one side only are much more susceptible to dish warps - I think because only one side is pressed. So I had to flatten a very high percentage of them.

Larry
                Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
                Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
                Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
                Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
                Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
                Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
                Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

The Vinyl Flat with Groovy Pouch works and is relatively little money. There are some tricks to using it though. I eventually bought the Furutech DF-2 (Orb) and it has been very good- far less incremental and time consuming than the Vinyl Flat, given how I used the latter- only short cooking times, gradually increasing. With the Furu/Orb, one cook is usually enough.
                  Edge warps are the most difficult in my experience--that's where the Vinyl Flat can work very effectively using binder clamps around the edges of the plates.
                  I occasionally flatten records for friends- one had a dreadful edge warp, and one cook on the Furu didn't do it. I talked to my friend who said, 'hey, that record is a loss anyway, so feel free to repeat the process to your content." I cooked it a total of 4 times over the course of a week or so. It was nice and flat by the time I sent it back to him and he's happy- said it plays fine with no nasties.
                  I think people who have had a bad experience with the Vinyl Flat torqued the nut too tight- I don't think it needs any additional pressure apart from the weight of the plates themselves, which are pretty heavy.
                  I have one record -- the Cloud Atlas Sextet-- which was a limited run of copies based on the 'prop' used in the movie (it's not the soundtrack but something different with an emphasis on piano), that forms part of the narrative. It came from Europe and was sold out by the time I received it-- looked like a potato chip. I got it flat with the Vinyl Flat, sorta, but in doing so, the groove path obviously wound up going nowhere so it doesn't track on one side. Before I flattened it, It didn't play at all on either side. The record got pricey fast, so I don't plan on buying a replacement unless one lands in my lap.
                  I should probably go check it out again, maybe give it a whack in the Furutech. But, I think since the groove path is messed up, making it flatter isn't going to help.

Comment

Guess I should have checked with you guys about this Orb before getting the Furutech. Silly me.
                    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
                    Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
                    Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
                    SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
                    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
                    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
                    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
                    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
                    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
                    Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
                    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
                    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
                    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
                    Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable
                    DAC: Lampizator Golden Gate2

Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
                    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
                    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• Bill Hart
                      Bill Hart commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Why? If you have the Furutech DF-2, my understanding is that it is better than the basic Orb that was sold under the Airtight brand here, can handle thicker and beadless records, etc. Orb did not directly import the DF-2 into the States and the DF-1 under the Orb brand, rather than the Airtight brand had pretty spotty distribution- i think Chad was selling it for a while as an Orb.
                      There's a model 3 that has more features that was never officially brought into the States- I know a couple people who have them, one in Ireland. I think the one owner of the model 3 found it less good than his model 1 Orb for some reason, but I can't remember and will deny I said this if pressed.

• timztunz
                      timztunz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I only meant if there is a cost benefit for an equal unit. I've been thoroughly pleased with my DF-2. I had about half a dozen significantly warped LP's (unplayable) that it fixed flawlessly. But it's been surprising to me, now that I have it, how much I really do use it. I use a Stillpoints LPI and I can hear a difference when I slightly dished LP in flattened down to the platter by the LPI and when the other side is played and the outer edge is cupped up (and I don't have the outer ring like I did with VPI, I loved that ring!). So any even slightly dished LP gets a visit to the DF-2. I no longer have to tolerate any LP not being perfectly flat.

There's only been one LP that I couldn't fix. A friend of mine inadvertently left his MOFI 45rpm KOB too near a high intensity light. The DF-2 made if flat ok, but upon play there is a "shwoosh, shwoosh" as it plays. I suspect that the grooves collapsed in the initial meltdown and not caused by the DF-2. The unplayable other LP's I fixed played perfectly.

I'm happy with my purchase.

Their is also a silver can that sits by the curb in front of your house once a week cheap and effective

Comment

Thanks Rob, was going to post that thread. See post #6. IIRC, it was a hit or miss proposition with the cheaper flateners. For that money, a better solution might be an outer ring clamp. Someone was even selling a while back a vinyl vacuum setup that went on the platter.
                      Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                      Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                      -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                      -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                      -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                      -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                      -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                      -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                      -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                      -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                      -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

I am the original poster. I should have mentioned that the discs in question have a pretty severe edge warp.
                        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

Comment

If not returning the LP and willing to risk damaging the plasticizers you could take a drapery steamer with distilled water in it and heat up the LP on both sides hitting the edge extra good.

The entire LP can become super floppy so set it down after holding it to clean on a large tile or something super flat and hard (like a granite countertop).

Any hysterics should come out and the memory of being flat should return to original state of pressing - in theory.

https://www.yourdictionary.com/plastic-memory
                          Plastic memory is the ability of some plastics to return to their original form when hot.
                          I have not done this on purpose, and have only steam cleaned a half dozen poor condition records, but I swear they were flatter after the fact.

Comment

Working...
                          X