Dedicated AC Line vs. Choice of Receptacle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated AC Line vs. Choice of Receptacle

So the biggest downside of moving to our new apartment (other than having to walk down 17 as opposed to two flights to the lobby) was the inability to install dedicated AC lines for my audio system. It looks like the electrical lines start at the breaker box in the entrance foyer and then are routed through the ceiling to the outlets in the different rooms. Sadly, there’s simply no way the building would allow the addition of new electrical lines and doing it without telling them (and them not knowing virtually impossible) would certainly give them grounds to terminate our lease.

So I decided to instead go all out and change the receptacles to:

Furutech GTX-DR NCF AC receptacles (latest version)
    Furutech GTX Wall Frames
    Furutech 06D NCF damped outlet cover

Well all I can say is that so far I haven’t missed the dedicated lines and the system definitely sounds even quieter and more transparent than in the old place (course some may be speaker setup and room too). This shows up the most particularly in the back of the soundstage and how instruments pop out of the ether. So how much of the improvement when adding lines is the separate electrical lines vs changing the receptacle? After all anyone adding electrical lines installs new duplexes. Could audiophiles save money and just change their receptacles (that is something all should do if using what your home came with).

So at this point I’m just letting the duplexes break in (I reckon they take around three weeks to settle in) and enjoying listening to the system.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

It seems you've answered your own question. If given the choice wouldn't you have run the dedicated lines?
    For me, it would be dedicated lines when given a choice.
    SOURCE: VINYL - EAT C-Sharp with, EAT LPS power supply, My Sonic Lab Signature Gold
    DIGITAL - Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC. Roon Nucleus w/EAT Lps power supply. Auralic Aires G1
    PHONOSTAGE: AudioNet PAM G2 with AudioNet EPX power supply.
    PREAMP: Audionet PRE G2.
    AMPLIFIER: Audionet MAX monoblocks.
    SPEAKERS: YG Acoustics Anat III Signatures (upgraded to Sonja 1.2) JL Audio F112 V2 (x2)
    CABLES: Kubala-Sosna, Kubala Sosna Xpander.....Audio Desk Systeme RCM, Adona Rack, GIK & Acoustimac room treatment, Isoacoustics

Comment

• rbbert
      rbbert commented
      Editing a comment
      Both?

Here's the thing, you could change out any wall receptacle with a new receptacle which will grip the plug better because it's new and you will have made an improvement in your electrical connection.
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

I went with dedicated lines to hospital grade receptacles fed off of an industrial instrumentation isolation transformer.
      Room - custom, dedicated, treated
      Power - dedicated sub panel, lines, 220 isolation transformer
      Speakers - VMPS Reference, RM-V60's with VLA Bass Towers
      Xilica 4080
      Phono - VPI Scoutmaster II, Lyra Delos, Southerland 2020
      RTR - Otari MX-5050 B2 II, Dehavelland 222 for the second extended range MTR - 15 2 track head
      Digital - Proceed CD Transport, SOtM DAC/pre, streamer, USB conditioner and power supply, Sonore Optical Module
      Amps - Ampzilla 2000, Odyssey Stratos SE Mono Extreme, Prima Luna Prologue 7 (KT-120)
      Cabling - assorted

Comment

Ask any electrician or fire inspector what one of the leading causes of electrical failures is- poor mechanical connections.

A good receptacle - not the 99cent Home Depot variety will make a world of difference because of good tension, proper materials and smooth surfaces. This is a good part of the equation.

Most builder grade receptacles degrade from micro arcing over time and loose their tension because of poor materials. They should be changed in a home on a regular routine basis as maintenance. No one ever does it though.

Adding a home run of wire to your audio equipment can be advantageous because you loose the multiple connections of other receptacles along the way with their bad connections. If you're force to share a line I would change the receptacles , light switches and tighten the Marr connectors + check the grounds on that line anyway. You will notice a difference.

Good tight quality connections along the way are a great pathway to good sound and safety.

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• dminches
          dminches commented
          Editing a comment
          A better option is to use an iRobot Roomba in an audio room. No plugging and unplugging.

• rbbert
          rbbert commented
          Editing a comment
          I think high-quality (1500 watts and above) hair dryers are the most power hungry home portable appliances

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          I've seen the ceiling lights flicker on a 20amp circuit when turning on the hoover, they do suck a lot of juice upon initial switch on.

We just had an extensive kitchen and living room remodel done. I did put in PSAudio receptacles for the home theater, but even the "standard" Leviton designer-grade outlets are far better quality (in terms of gripping the plug and quality of connection to house wiring) than what was common 20 years ago.
        Tascam BR-20
        Modwright Oppo 205 full tube mod w/LPS
        Euphony Summus server, EtherRegen, HDPLEX LPS
        MSB Discrete DAC (dual PS, ISLPro, balanced out)
        Pass Labs INT60
        Daedalus Audio Apollo 11’s
        REL S3 (Kimber Kable connection)
        Daedalus/Wywires, Audioquest, Acoustic Zen, DH cables
        Torus IS5
        Stillpoints and IsoPods, Tube Traps, GIK

Comment

Working...
        X