Acoustical Systems SMARTstylus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustical Systems SMARTstylus

As I said, this was an expensive RMAF! I had wanted to play with this tool for a while and finally got ahold of one. Seemed really handy for those not wanting to mess around with a digital microscope.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cache_53922877.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	29884Click image for larger version

Name:	teaserbox_46255804.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	29885

"The SMARTstylus is the very first template allowing for setting ALL geometric parameters of the cartridge - azimuth, SRA and VTA !! - fast and accurate within minutes.
    Further it allows for accurate setting of horizontal arm wand."
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	29895Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l300.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	29896
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Myles, I bought one at RMAF too. Gonna mess around with it this afternoon. Let me know what you think about it and your user experience. I will do the same...

Comment

Been playing around with my Smart Stylus. Either I am dumb or.......

It appears the SmartStylus is next to impossible to set SRA with tonearms that have the tonearm lift bar at the head shell. The lift at the headshell prevents getting exact focus for the SRA line and the stylus due to the inability to get the cartridge body close to the SmartStylus. Definitely a design flaw in my opinion. They should put a disclaimer that the Smart Stylus won't work as described on tonearms with headshellls with an arm lift on them.

As with any tool like this, a definite learning curve exists. I will still experiment but so far I am not terribly impressed.

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Haven't tried everything yet but I think you could put the block behind the headshell too. I don't know of any headshell without an arm lift. Some might be able to be removed but none that I know without any at all.

Some cartridges come with recommended VTA angle so that jig's lines come in handy too.

As far as azimuth. In another thread, someone raised the question whether we should be going by what is level or what something like the Foz or Feickert read out? I think there is something to the former because if the cartridge's say crosstalk is way off. Is there a defect in the stylus insertion into the cantilever or an issue with the coils?

• Socrates
          Socrates commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you forget the Breuer Arm Myles?--it never came with any finger lift

Soc

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Obviously. Not a lot of distribution in the States.

My VPI also comes with a detachable arm lift too.

Unfortunately my tonearm has an angled headshell from the tonearm tube. I prevents getting close to the cart body with the Smart Stylus behind the headshell too. Look forward to any tricks you may discover. I will keep experimenting too.

Comment

Working...
        X