• Setting Azimuth With The Feickert Azimuth Adjust+

Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

From the graphs you can see the phase error at 0 degrees azimuth was huge: 155 degrees! Where the curves in the upper graph cross at -1.4 degrees azimuth angle, there is zero phase error, which is readily audible to the untrained ear. The crosstalk figures at this azimuth setting reflect improvements up to 7…

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Not too long ago there was a thread. In that thread you shared which was your favorite alignment tool. I don't believe I shared my favorite. I don't have one.

In that thread I conveyed a need to adjust azimuth by ear. My ZYX Universe ll was probably closer to +2.0 degrees. My present TZAR DST sounds best at +0.5 degrees. Every alignment tool gets you to 0.0 degrees. This is the starting point.

A long time ago there was an article in Sterephile. It was about cartridge alignment. If memory serves me, +0.5 degrees azimuth, and +0.5 degrees tracking angle sound best for the cartridge on hand. Remember: every cartridge has the diamond installed by hand. Identical cartridges will still have different angles.

Let's see how many purchase this Adjust +. I think it's a step in the right direction.

Comment

I hope this is not too much of a stupid question for all of you most brilliant audiophiles, but is this better than and/or in addition to a Fozgometer?
        Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
        Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
        Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
        SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
        Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
        Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
        Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
        Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
        Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
        Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
        Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
        Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
        CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
        Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable
        DAC: Lampizator Golden Gate2

Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
        Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
        Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, Massif Audio Design, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Look at the graphs with adjust+. One is crosstalk (what the Foz measures) and the other is phase. The ear is more sensitive to phase anomalies ergo why the Adjust+ is superior. But you could use the Fox and then diddle with small adjustments in Azimuth. For example on the new VPI 3D dual pivot, you could set by Foz and then turn the screw very small increments either way and listen. With the Spotheim arm, you can adjust Azimuth on the fly. Not sure if Durand also offers this feature. Any other arms?

If you don't want to sink the money into the Adjust+, you could find a setup person who uses it and see. Small price to pay for a good improvement.

• timztunz
          timztunz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Miles.

My Adjust+ Pro Kit arrives tomorrow..I am very anxious to try it out....
        Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC4s, VPI HRX Reference w Avenger mag drive and Reference footers, Gimbal Fatboy, Yamaha GT2000 for Mono, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Audio Note UK- 3.1X II balanced DAC, Meridian Sooloos, Western Electric Speaker wire, mostly diy balanced interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Very interested to hear your feedback! It takes longer than the Foz but it seems once you do it a couple of times, setup becomes easier.

My only question is how well it works with different computers?

• Letsmakeadeal
          Letsmakeadeal commented
          Editing a comment
          I have an Asus Windows 10 laptop. Hope it will work properly without the expense of an external USB soundcard. If not, I will get one quickly...Will report results as I learn the system...

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes was wondering about the soundcard too. Much on the use was written a couple of years ago and computers have changed. Maybe Andre or someone else who uses the Adjust+ knows.

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
        I hope this is not too much of a stupid question for all of you most brilliant audiophiles, but is this better than and/or in addition to a Fozgometer?
        Same but different! The adjust plus will offer other parameters. Steeper learning curve with adjust +.
        Phono: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
        Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas Lamda, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
        Amps: Custom Direct Drive, Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2. Bedini 25/25
        Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
        Speakers: Beveridge Model 3 Direct Drive amps, REL S/2 x 2, Quad ESL pair
        Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

• Emorrisiv
          Emorrisiv commented
          Editing a comment
          Having used both I see no reason to even think about the Fozgometer. It isn’t even close on accuracy and can be a PITA with needing calibration.

Originally posted by timztunz View Post
        Much better, IMO.
        Every day is a good day to play analog.
        - 12" 33-1/3 RPM or 45 RPM vinyl
        - 10.5" 15ips or 30ips tape
        Every day is a good day for live music.
        Every day is a good day to listen to music.
        Industry Affiliation:
        Contributing Writer, The Absolute Sound

Comment

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...idge-1/?page=4

• Dre_J
          Dre_J commented
          Editing a comment
          Barry, my comments are:

-It depends on the cartridge. Most well-made cartridges (regardless of cost) should be close to the crosstalk specs or better.

-Phase angle matching is usually in line with proper crosstalk on well-made cartridges more often than not. It can get tricky since they don’t spec phase angle and in practice the measurement can be subjective, IMO. Experience helps determine how much of it to take it into account.

-Yes. Better tonearms, turntables, record-to-platter interface, and phonostages will affect the final measurements. (See the results I achieved with one of the Hana cartridges in two different tonearms as an example. http://www.theabsolutesound.com/arti...il-cartridges/ )

• Emorrisiv
          Emorrisiv commented
          Editing a comment
          I would add to Andre’s comments that I have found that you rarely get phase angle and crosstalk to match. I have frequently seen where you can never get perfect crosstalk but can get phase angle. This can be due to the cartridge motor or it can be because of VTA.
          I generally shoot for phase angle.

I had a problem with Adjust + software as my Pass Labs phono preamp kept overloading the sound card. I ended up padding down the phono output so it wouldn't clip and then it worked fine.

I found the bubble level too inaccurate. I got a small AccuMASTER digital level that measures to within .1 degrees and wired the batteries up remotely so it was lighter, then supported the headshell. WAAAYYY more accurate and repeatable than the dumb bubble level.

Comment

Re using the Adjust + software --you will need to obtain the Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro--the Phono input goes into this and the output from the SB

to the USB input of your Computer--

The program exceeds the Fozgometer as the Foz does not do Phase-- considered more important than Crosstalk only

The Dr F. program does BOTH. Some say the Analogue Productions Test Record is superior to the supplied Feickert one.

Pay the extra and get the Pro Spirit level-- the one supplied is not the best.

Its fine program( Swiss developers I gather) I'd have over the Foz.

Good Luck,

Soc

Comment

• Barry
            Barry commented
            Editing a comment
            Let'smakeadeal: Yes the pro spirit level is the one in the YT video. The standard bubble that came with the software I purchased last year had no degree markings on it at all and it wasn't obvious what was what.

• Socrates
            Socrates commented
            Editing a comment
            Barry answered

• Emorrisiv
            Emorrisiv commented
            Editing a comment
            The pro bubble is the only way to go, if you are going to follow the Feikert method. Cheap upgrade.
            Personally, I never do it that way. Most of the tonearms I work with are not easy peasy like the Kuzma arm they show in the video. On a unipivot with a teardrop counterweight, just getting the bubbles right is a lot of work, so I just try to get it perfect with charting. You have to make tiny little adjustments until you get it dead on. I refuse to compromise on as little as .3 phase angle or crosstalk. Call me crazy.

Adjust+works with Windows only. You also need 24/96 capable USB sound card to make it work. I use Cakewalk but would buy something less complicated if I was buying again. My adjusting procedures are bit different than recommended. To cut the story short, I'm adjusting the azimuth so that readings of both channels are as high possible and as equal as possible but the imperative is to achieve results as equal as possible! So, the ideal reading of the measurement for example would be 31/31dB or 33/33dB or 34.5/34.5 or higher if possible but that's not up to you. But it is VERY hard (not impossible though) to achieve these numbers. You just need a lot of time and patience to achieve them. Adjust+ is the best tool to set the azimuth I know. If somebody knows something better, I'm all ears.
          Last edited by Marcus; 08-21-2017, 09:21 AM.
          Source: Kuzma XL DC/4Point 14 inch/CAR60; Phono: Zanden 1200 Signature; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2; Power amp: Lamm 1.2 Reference; Speakers: AlsyVox Botticelli; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Elite NG; Cable system: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Power strip: Cardas Nautilus; Power filter: P.I Audo: BUSS Depot; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

• Socrates
            Socrates commented
            Editing a comment
            You can run the Software on a MAC-- just load Virtual Box ( Free to own)and pick up copy of Windows 8

• Marcus
            Marcus commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you use the software that way Socrates?

• Socrates
            Socrates commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes marcus

Originally posted by Socrates View Post
          Re using the Adjust + software --you will need to obtain the Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro--the Phono input goes into this and the output from the SB

to the USB input of your Computer--

The program exceeds the Fozgometer as the Foz does not do Phase-- considered more important than Crosstalk only

The Dr F. program does BOTH. Some say the Analogue Productions Test Record is superior to the supplied Feickert one.

Pay the extra and get the Pro Spirit level-- the one supplied is not the best.

Its fine program( Swiss developers I gather) I'd have over the Foz.

Good Luck,

Soc
          Is this the one recommended?

Buy Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go! Pro USB Audio System with SBX SB1290: Internal Sound Cards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Comment

Or this one?

Buy Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro 24-bit USB External Sound Card, Retail: External Sound Cards - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
            I had a problem with Adjust + software as my Pass Labs phono preamp kept overloading the sound card. I ended up padding down the phono output so it wouldn't clip and then it worked fine.

I found the bubble level too inaccurate. I got a small AccuMASTER digital level that measures to within .1 degrees and wired the batteries up remotely so it was lighter, then supported the headshell. WAAAYYY more accurate and repeatable than the dumb bubble level.
            I am slightly confused by the video. You need to use the mono left and then right channels 1 K tone tracks from the test record, not the stereo 1K track?

Comment

• Dre_J
              Dre_J commented
              Editing a comment
              Assuming you are asking about azimuth measurements:

The first mono 1kHz tone is for setting a baseline channel balance. Something the other devices don't do.

The second (left channel) and third (right channel) 1kHz tones (stereo single channel) allow measuring raw crosstalk.

The software combines the raw measurements with the baseline offset measured with the mono tone to give the result that takes that into account.

• Socrates
              Socrates commented
              Editing a comment
              The Disc with the 1khz tone is split into two locked tracks L then R-- the software processing the signal shows on top of the dialog box on your screen

Originally posted by Dre_J View Post

Much better, IMO.
            Andre: One more question please. Theoretically, my understanding is perfect cartridge phase should be 90 degrees. If your channels matched at say 20, what would you expect to hear in terms of the difference from 90 if anything? Do the degrees mattter as long as the channels match? THANK YOU!

Comment

• Dre_J
              Dre_J commented
              Editing a comment
              see post #17 below

Is there a good step by step process published anywhere? IT is probably easier than it sounds but the kit comes without any instructions. They may be on the website. I have not checked yet as the laptop I will be using in the music room is updating Windows as I type...Dang it...

The soundcard in my laptop uses Realtek High Def Audio drivers...I have an email into Chris to see if that works or not?

REVISED - I was wrong regarding>SETBACK - NO Software or instructions in KIT. Can't find any download links either...Well - I was wrong. The software and instructions are now contained on the tiny supplied USB stick. I was expecting to find it on a a CD. It is there in all it's glory. Already installed this morning.....My Bad
            Last edited by Letsmakeadeal; 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM.
            Primary 2 channel stuff: Atma-Sphere MP-1 Mk 3.3, Pass Labs X600.5 amps, Aerial SW 12 subs, True Sound Works Ultimate Apogee Divas, Dunlavy SC4s, VPI HRX Reference w Avenger mag drive and Reference footers, Gimbal Fatboy, Yamaha GT2000 for Mono, Miyajima Kansui, Miyajima ZERO, Fidelity Research MC-201 & 202, VPI ADS, Vendetta Research SCP-1, Audio Note UK- 3.1X II balanced DAC, Meridian Sooloos, Western Electric Speaker wire, mostly diy balanced interconnects, Furutech Power Cords

Comment

Working...
            X