Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AnalogMagik Is this the new HOLY GRAIL for TT setup ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnalogMagik Is this the new HOLY GRAIL for TT setup ?

Hi All
    I just watched this interesting You Tube video http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/10...roduction.html on this new offering to TT setup via a test record and computer software. First has any of the forum members who are reviewers or not had the opportunity to experience or use this product? While being new to the TT setup world I am a firm believer that accuracy in all parameters of setup are crucial to getting the most out of your setup. I think taking this process at face value it seems to offer the most comprehensive method to date using real time measurements via the stylus riding in the groove using a comprehensive software that transmits real time measurements to a laptop. I will end by saying that I do believe that our ears to date always have had the final say. Will this new offering supersede the practices being used and redefine what is now to be the new "HOLY GRAIL" in the setup of our turntables?
    Last edited by chris h; 11-01-2017, 06:17 PM. Reason: Miscue on my part about a specfically designed stylus to be used in conjuction with this software.So I amended the post.

Originally posted by chris h View Post
    Hi All
    I just watched this interesting You Tube video http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/10...roduction.html on this new offering to TT setup via a special cartridge, test record and computer software. First has any of the forum members who are reviewers or not had the opportunity to experience or use this product? While being new to the TT setup world I am a firm believer that accuracy in all parameters of setup are crucial to getting the most out of your setup. I think taking this process at face value it seems to offer the most comprehensive method to date using real time measurements via a special stylus riding in the groove of a special test record that transmits real time measurements to a laptop. I will end by saying that I do believe that our ears to date always have had the final say. Will this new offering supersede the practices being used and redefine what is now to be the new "HOLY GRAIL" in the setup of our turntables?
    what special cartridge? this looks similar to feickert's adjust+, Dre can say for sure. calling it the HOLY GRAIL based on a 3 minute infomercial is kinda premature unless you know something more that wasn't presented, I dunno but ill check it out.
    How Do You Beat Audiophile Nervosa?

Step Number 1: Upgrade your music collection first. If you do it correctly that should keep you busy in perpetuity.

Comment

• chris h
      chris h commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks rob for pointing out the miscue about a special cartridge I amended my post to reflect this. To Note I watched a YOU tube video a while ago showing the use of the feickert's adjust + software but it only dealt with the azimuth adjustment I was not sure if the feickert software dealt with all the other setup adjustments that this software seems to offer?

Aptly named 'teaser' until they actually get a secure web site (watch out) and data to potential users ..

Comment

Guys this very real. Mak is one of the founders of the GTA audio club. He has been working with software engineers and others to develop this product. It has been a long time in the making. One of my acquaintances is a member of the club and is keeping me up to date as information becomes available. I'll be seeing him mid November and Mak often attends. I'll ask about it.
      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
      Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post

what special cartridge? this looks similar to feickert's adjust+, Dre can say for sure. calling it the HOLY GRAIL based on a 3 minute infomercial is kinda premature unless you know something more that wasn't presented, I dunno but ill check it out.
        "For the better part of a century we have been led to believe a mediocre analog setup is acceptable." Despite my normal interested receptivity to analog tools and knowing this is a 'pitch' to get my attention, I'll say RM's opening words were not the "hey look at this new cool setup tool" approach that might appeal to me. Dear Richard: With all respect, I suggest you not start by telling your audience they are misled and accept mediocrity. I've never had anyone in the analog wing of the audiophile community tell me "It's okay to be inaccurate." No reason to insult cable buyers: "You see people spending thousands of dollars on cables that make this much [holds up two fingers just inches apart] difference. But somehow when it comes to analog its okay to wing it.."
        I went through the video in chunks.

At first, it looks kinda like a combination of Feickert (test record and software) and Brakemier (tools). The opening shot certainly looks like a Uni-Pro protractor with the woman checking pivot-to-spindle distance. An Acoustical-Systems SMARTstylus gauge is shown. Those tools are not referenced in the main video.

I saw a USB device; that could be a dongle (a necessary key for operation, so no sharing without it) or it could hold the software itself, or both.

There is a reference to taking the output of the preamp and "plugging into there." Presumably that's into a sound card with computer attached. I'd rather see data coming directly off the cartridge/tonearm and leave out the amplifier. I realize output voltage may be an issue.

Record(s) cover labled: "All in one cartridge setup software & test LPs. A Scientific & Repeatable Method to Calibrate: Speed, VTA, Azimuth, Anti Skating, Loading Gain, VTF, Resonant Frequency, Vibrations.

Screen shots for:
        - Speed, using a track with a 3150 Hz test signal,
        - Azimuth, showing L/R crosstalk and Phase,
        - VTA, showing L/R intermodulation distortion,
        - Loading, showing Frequency Resonse Flatness in dB,
        - VTF, showing L/R Total Harmonic Distortion,
        - Gain, showing Signal to Noise Ratio
        - Vibration, showing intermodulation distortion between two low frequency signals

The idea being, see the numbers and you make physical adjustments to your table/arm/cartridge until they match, or are better, etc.

- several screens tell you words to the effect "some think you can only do this by listening, we believe you are better off relying on these numbers."

If it's just the test record and software, then it is a fancier Feickert.

I'll suggest something along the lines of: "Now, in one integrated package, all the tools you need to configure your turntable using computer technology to establish reliable, scientifically repeatable settings that ensure optimum 'table setup for maximal listening pleasure." Combine it with an A-S protractor.

I applaud any and all efforts to help people optimize their analog setup.
        Spkr: Wilson Alexias series 2; Amps: Lamm M1.2Ref; Linestage and phono: ARC Ref 10 and ARC Ref 10 Phono; TT: GPA Monaco 2.0; Arms: Kuzma 4Point, Tri-planar Mk. VII U2-SE; Cartridges: Allnic Arrow/Puritas, Benz LP S, Fuuga, Lyra Etna, Transfiguration Phoenix, Denon DL-A100,DL103R; Cables: Shunyata Σ / Σ NR PC/SC/IC; Pwr Cond: Shunyata Triton III, Typhons(3); Isolation: SRA Scuttle3 rack, SRA Ohio Class amp stands, ; Acoustics: Stillpoints Apertures; Audio cat: Finzi

Comment

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Tim, thats a good dissection. I also caught the same things like other people's set up tools used as visual props. what threw me was seeing Matt, I love him but id no sooner ask my 11 year old about setting up my turntable. although as an 11 yr old he now knows a lot more about computers than I do

• Bill Hart
          Bill Hart commented
          Editing a comment
          The guy offering this is 11 years old? Man, at that age, I was probably still reading MAD magazine and assembling plastic models. There was something about that glue...

• Rob
          Rob commented
          Editing a comment
          Bill, its time to put the glue down what normal red blooded american kid wasn't addicted to that stuff??

I'm waiting for this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-02-15 21.50.46.png
Views:	1
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	69758

Comment

• jonathanb
          jonathanb commented
          Editing a comment
          I asked Peter Ledermann about this a few weeks ago and was told that he's still working on it, and that it will be released when it is ready. I don't think he's interested in releasing what he considers a beta version as a finished product.

• chris h
          chris h commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure by this post or the stereophile post how this works. The post on stereophile says it is not a software based product that was good for "Michael Fremer"; while this post says both software as well a hardware option. Looking at this post I cannot see how it works without some sort of computer based software to visually see what is going on in real time. To boot what is the balance control on the box for to me the adjustments would be made at the tonearm and the movements viewed via a software? Can anyone elaborate further on the premise of how this product is supposed to work?

• MylesBAstor
          MylesBAstor commented
          Editing a comment
          Peter has been working on it for five+ years. 😟 Not sure if that picture is up to date on the device. Last I saw/heard, it was to be iPad operated. Jonathan Tinn was also working on a similar device though it too seems to have dropped off the radar.

Originally posted by chris h View Post
        Hi All
        I just watched this interesting You Tube video http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/10...roduction.html on this new offering to TT setup via a test record and computer software. First has any of the forum members who are reviewers or not had the opportunity to experience or use this product? While being new to the TT setup world I am a firm believer that accuracy in all parameters of setup are crucial to getting the most out of your setup. I think taking this process at face value it seems to offer the most comprehensive method to date using real time measurements via the stylus riding in the groove using a comprehensive software that transmits real time measurements to a laptop. I will end by saying that I do believe that our ears to date always have had the final say. Will this new offering supersede the practices being used and redefine what is now to be the new "HOLY GRAIL" in the setup of our turntables?
        From what I gleaned from Facebook, Richard’s setup tool was shown at TAVES. But haven’t seen any further info on the product.
        Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
        Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, Klaudio arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, MPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

I should be receiving mine this week. Will advise.
          Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
          Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point , Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
          Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
          Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
          Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
            I should be receiving mine this week. Will advise.
            Great! How do you order it? I went to the website and it says the YouTube clip is unavailable. Larry
            Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0 BottleheadPhonoPre,Herron VTPH-2A
            Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacMicroModel2
            Dig Play-mch NADAC, Roon, HQPlayer, Oppo95
            Electronics-Herron 360Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
            Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
            Other-512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, ArtKelmGround1, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
            Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

Here you go:

https://www.analogmagik.com/product-...are-2-test-lps

Comment

So, how do this work? Does it rely on a microphone? Or does it plug in to something else? Test records- I understand those? Licensed USB containing downloadable software. Yep.
                But, how do it work?

Comment

• tima
                  tima commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My upthread analysis was prtty accurate, but go to their Web site and read the system requiremnts and the instructions. You need to own a specific external soundcard which sits between your preamp and laptop. TT output of test records -> preamp -> soundcard -> computer+usb software dongle.

Answers are here:

https://www.analogmagik.com/system-requirement

Comment

The Black Ops of cartridge setup and what many struggle with is the VTA/SRA, I would say the software is worth the investment and even a bargain if it can pinpoint the exact arm height for you but I'm highly skeptical and wonder about the value of a digitized signal through a $70 converter. What if you're off a little in your other parameters, what will the measurement show you, correct when you're off or the opposite when your VTA is correct? How would you know if you just went by measurements alone?

david
                  Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers.
                  Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
                  Systems, showroom links:
                  http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...stening-room-1
                  http://www.audionirvana.org/forum/ti...earfield-setup

Comment

If you can bring yourself to spend $700 for the software, you can manage to acquire a better sound card. At least I'll have a use for my PS Audio NuWave Phono converter if I ever acquire this software. (Beats using it as a phono preamp!)

Comment

• tima
                      tima commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The system requirements indicate the software was written and tested specifically for the soundcard he describes (and sells) - or so was my understanding from a quick read.

A friend of mine ordered it. I’ll wait for his report and will buy it if offers accurate VTF, VTA and antiskating settings.
                    Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: Zanden 3000 Mk2 (ordered); Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon ; Grounding: Tripoint & Thor SE; Cable system: Cardas Clear & Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty; Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik AB (SMT);

Comment

Working...
                    X