Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AnalogMagik Is this the new HOLY GRAIL for TT setup ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I already have an Asus laptop. Do I need to disable its sound card (assuming it has one, lol) before using the AnalogMagik and external sound card, or will this happen automatically?

Comment

should work automatically- it did for me.
      Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
      Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
      Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
      Pre-Amps: ARC SP 3a, Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
      Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post

I'm using my existing HP laptop. Although, it is just a surfing machine, I use a Microsoft surface for my day job. The existing laptop works just fine.

My dealer down the road uses a the recommended lennovo. Makes sense for him, as he needs something portable and dedicated for repeat use.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum...p?f=20&t=49285

He's done many set ups thus far. I am having good results with mine and after a small learning curve it is working well .
        I am most interested in learning what correlation there is between L/R channel intermodulation distortion and the actual stylus rake angle in degrees as measured by whatever means.

Presumably AnalogMagik (AM) will take you to some optimal setting (arm pivot height) as dictated by best (lowest?) IMD measurement.

And SRA set to 92° (or whatever one chooses as optimal) yields a certain IMD measurement with AM.

I'm vaguely recalling, kcin that you use the A-S stylus gauge, not an usb 'scope (pls correct as needed).

So what are you finding wrt SRA through using AM?

Out of the learning curve you mention above, what aspects had the shallowest curves?

How is it working with AM? Do you leave its setup intact including test records on the platter while you make physical adjustments to your cartridge and 'arm?

Do you believe the results you're getting with AM are genuine improvements?

kcin, I know this asks a lot. TIA for any info you can share.

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post

I am most interested in learning what correlation there is between L/R channel intermodulation distortion and the actual stylus rake angle in degrees as measured by whatever means.

Presumably AnalogMagik (AM) will take you to some optimal setting (arm pivot height) as dictated by best (lowest?) IMD measurement.

And SRA set to 92° (or whatever one chooses as optimal) yields a certain IMD measurement with AM.

I'm vaguely recalling, kcin that you use the A-S stylus gauge, not an usb 'scope (pls correct as needed).

So what are you finding wrt SRA through using AM?

Out of the learning curve you mention above, what aspects had the shallowest curves?

How is it working with AM? Do you leave its setup intact including test records on the platter while you make physical adjustments to your cartridge and 'arm?

Do you believe the results you're getting with AM are genuine improvements?

kcin, I know this asks a lot. TIA for any info you can share.

Hi Tima,

Lots of questions, I don't have a lot of time right now as I am travelling but I can say this:

I find the use of scope and its software maddening to find the "starting point" 92 deg SRA angle. Too much room for interpretation and variability for me. I use the AS gauge then scope and oscillate between the two in order to get consistency and develop my line dropping skill with the scope.

I find with all of my cartridges I can get to under 4% IM distortion with optimizing SRA. Everyone of them has meaningful movement in distortion especially if the angle is below 90 deg
          You can hear this with the typical tizzy highs or flubby lows associated with the related VTA up and down adjustments. It gets you to that spot quicker for me.

I tried this on a friends Lenco modified table I couldn't get good results - sky high distortions - maybe because of the instability of the table or maybe his wooden arm instability. Not sure.So, if you have an unstable setup or one that does not adjust well you will not even come close.

On learning curve, everything is inter- related: down force, SRA, azimuth etc.. changing one changes everything. You have to know to expect this and when to stop. I believe that using AM and AS tools confirms what is correct and assigns an empirical value to it which works for me as I can often talk myself into what I'm hearing- sometimes its nice to have a number in front of you.

It is quite methodical when you get used to the setup.

Thanks.
          Brinkmann La Grange & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X

Comment

• tima
            tima commented
            Editing a comment
            Thannk you. Pls keep us posted.

chris h Were you able to attend the Axpona demo? Curious to hear your thoughts.

Comment

• chris h
            chris h commented
            Editing a comment
            The show date is April 13th to 15th

Ah! Sorry. OK I will wait with baited breath then. Although, I will likely have my copy of it by then (I went ahead and ordered it, couldn't help myself...)

Comment

• chris h
            chris h commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice I almost went for the software but decided to wait till after Axpona. In the interim I purchased a fozgometer and analogue productions test LP primarily for setting the azimuth. I will say that this adjustment in my setup yielded a new level to my listening experience. My muisc is even more revealing which to me was quite satisfying before using the fozgometer. My point is that real time electronic measurements as the fozgometer is the analogmagik software should raise the bar to a level that has not been available till now.
            Just as a note I do not no why no one has posted a before and after listening video using the software to prove its merit . Charts of measurements simply do persuade as a video demo does. I sited to others what Ted Denney does with his SR setups. The improvements to a room are so evident in his videos IMO. Maybe you will be that person that creates the before after video

I owned a Foz previously but never felt I could get accurate measurements. I then upgraded to the Adjust+ software and got dramatically better results. I doubt the Analogmagik can do any better than the Adjust+ for azimuth. I’m mainly interested in it for the other measurements, particularly VTA.

Comment

• chris h
            chris h commented
            Editing a comment
            Most comprehensive software to date IMO. I was able to match the left and right channels on my foz within 1db mark and it made a significant improvement. To note by just using my ears the meter was different by 7 to 8 db 's. I have not tried the adjust+

• Socrates
            Socrates commented
            Editing a comment
            +1 for the Adjust +

Soc

chris h How was the show? Were you able to see the AM demo? I still have not had a chance to try it out, hoping to have time this coming weekend.

Comment

Hi Dorian
            The show was huge and surprisingly a number of rooms that were very good in there musicality.
            I went to the Analogmagik class that Rutherford audio presented. Their presentation was verbal only with a monitor setup showing the software. He discussed the software's setup parameters and findings he was able to achieve in a setup using the software.He suggested that recording each measurement down on paper that you can refer back to as adjustments are made. Overall they felt that they were able to achieve a better result than using the conventional methods that they used in previous setups. The presenter said that the the sound became to a lesser degree in its warmth but was more revealing overall.He also stated that it was incumbent when using the software that going back and fourth in using the test tracks was important in coming to a conclusion in the final setup.This is true no matter what procedure you use in setup IMO but maybe easier since it is all software based in its measurements. Lastly a final comment was made that there was always a desire to go back and fourth with software measurement to see if you could get a better final result. Enjoy your new software and report back. If at all possible I think that using your methods that you have followed in setup than making a short video of the music followed by a video using the software would be the best way to make a comparison that others will be able to make a preliminary decisions on moving ahead with this setup method.

Comment

Originally posted by kcin View Post
              I should be receiving mine this week. Will advise.
              Did you get yours and have a chance to play with it Nick?
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

Magico S5 Mk.2 speakers, cj ART300 40th Anniversary monoblock Amplifiers; cj GAT preamplifier Series 2; Doshi V3.0 and Thoress Mk. 2 phonostages; VPI Vanquish turntable/12-inch 3D tonearm/12-inch Fat Boy, SAT LM-12 arm, Lyra Atlas SL, Fuuga, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges; Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads/Doshi V3.0 tape stage run balanced; Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 5, Allnic cables, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, MG Audio, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies Power Cords. Stillpoint Aperture panels, SPod Magico feet, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC. Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz racks; Audiodharma Cable Cooker; Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

Did you get yours and have a chance to play with it Nick?
                Hi Myles,

I did work the program for a few set ups. It is a bit of a learning curve - however, I did get repeatable results after a few tries. You really do need an excellent set up geometry tool like the SMartTractor first. Otherwise, you will be eternally frustrated,

I briefly made some comments above on #64 . Don't hold your breath, but I promised a friend to video tape my interaction with the product. He's thinking of buying it and sharing it among a couple of friends.

I will get my daughter to shoot the video, she's very inventive with that sort of thing. If so, I will post it for the world to see a real life setup. Perhaps, in the next month or two- if life doesn't get too much in the way.

I think its brilliant though; RM Stereopal has done a great job to empirically define cartridge/table setup. There has been no shortage of other attempts with false starts.

Comment

Hi all.

I finally had a chance to play with this yesterday and my initial impressions are underwhelming, unfortunately. Compared to the Adjust+ software the interface is less user-friendly. The only measurement that I actually thought I would have a use for is the VTA and my measurement was way outside of what the instructions said was a useful range. Now in all fairness I was not running the software on a dedicated laptop nor was I using the recommended sound card. I ran it on my MacBook Pro in a virtual desktop (Parallels Desktop) and using the sound card recommended by Dr Feickert. This combo works great for Adjust+. So of course I then considered going out and getting a dedicated laptop and the recommended sound card but honestly, I dont think it's worth it just for the VTA measurement. It's very easy to adjust VTA 'on the fly' on the VPI Prime and I have enough experience doing that now to dial it in by ear and right now my table is sounding fantastic.

I will say that the SMARTractor is amazing. I bought it at the same time as the AM. My alignment is now much more accurate than it was previously, which was done with the Mint LP Best Tractor. I learned about the SMARTractor on this thread, so am very thankful for that. SMARTractor, Adjust+ and VTA on the fly adjustment I think is all I need to get the most out of my setup. So I will be returning the AM package (if Cable Co. takes returns).

This is just my experience of course, and others may get a lot more value out of the AM tool. I would be keen to hear other peoples' experiences.

Comment

• RandyRobinson
                    RandyRobinson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Did you buy the SMARTractor from Rutherford?

• tima
                    tima commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bravo!

No I bought the SMARTractor from the Cable Co: https://www.thecableco.com/

Comment

A friend brought his AnalogMagik, laptop, etc.. After a few hours of tweaking, it was time to listen. Magic is the correct term. The ZYX Universe lll / Kuzma 4Point 14" Sapphire combination is incredible. Listened to music for 6 hours last night, LLLLLLOUD. What a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Cousinbilly View Post
                      A friend brought his AnalogMagik, laptop, etc.. After a few hours of tweaking, it was time to listen. Magic is the correct term. The ZYX Universe lll / Kuzma 4Point 14" Sapphire combination is incredible. Listened to music for 6 hours last night, LLLLLLOUD. What a day.
                      Congrats that’s great! What tools had you used previously for setup?

Comment

Working...
                      X