Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Ultrasound Record Cleaning Machine Are You Using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Ultrasound Record Cleaning Machine Are You Using?

DIY
    Audio Desk
    KLaudio
    Degritter
    Kirmuss

Share your thoughts on your machine, cleaning ability, cleaning methodology, reliability and what other machines you’ve used.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Had an Audiodesk. It went back for repairs twice. Second time they sent me a new machine and extended the warranty. After the warranty Expired I sold it I was unsure how much longer it would last. I had heard stories about more failures. I cleaned over 5000-7500 lp’s I would guess. I still have my VPI 16.5 which I have had for 10+ years, I feel pretty confident about the durability of this machine. I would like to look into one of these, Clearaudio Smart Matrix.

Click image for larger version

Name:	402EC457-A6E0-415F-8EB9-3150437F0B7C.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	141193
    Amp - McIntosh MC402
    Pre - McIntosh C2300
    Phono - JE Audio HP10
    TT - VPI Prime (2 3D Arms and Victor UA-7045)
    CD - AMR CD777
    R2R - Pioneer RT 1020L
    Speakers - PMC OB1i’s or Aerial Acoustics Model 8’s

Comment

Originally had an Audio Desk Systeme then went to the Klaudio.

I manually pre-clean all of the used records I purchase with enzyme cleaner and occasionally pre-clean new records. I then put them in the Klaudio while wet for an ultrasonic cleaning and final blow dry before I play them for the first time.

I clean every record after I play them and then place the used or new records in a new high quality sleeve like the Sleeve City Ultimate. That way the sleeves are not cross-contaminated. Everytime I play a record, it has already been cleaned. They are static free and super quiet.

With repeated playback/ultrasonic cleaning, the noise floor continues to goes down and dynamics/dynamic contrast goes up.

In addition, the life span of the record and stylus is increased due to reduced friction. More music. More "there" there.
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Phono 1: VPI Prime Signature Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Uni-pivot Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
      Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fat Boy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
      Digital: Battery Powered Laptop running software on SSD, Music Files on USB SSD, and playback by JRMC. USB interface to M2Tech Young DAC
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

KL Audio. I still use my VPI 16.5 for a pre-cleaning of second hand records with Art du Son and then a second wet cleaning with distilled water prior cleaning them with the KL Audio. New records are going straight into the KL Audio.

Comment

KLA exclusively. I sold my VPI 16.5 to a friend who was using my Disc Doctor. I have room for only one RCM. It has been reliable and works well. After laboring with various fluids and a primarily manual machine for many years, I love the speed and automation of the KLA. It does a terrific job.
          TW Acustic TT with Ref motor & controller; Tri-Planar Arm; Ortofon Windfeld-Ti Cartridge, Harmonix-Combak platter mat & weight; PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp; KLAudio Ultrasonic Record Cleaner.

Bluesound Vault-2 Music Server & Streamer

VTL 6.5 preamp Series II
          Pass Labs 150.8 Amp

Piega C711 Loudspeakers

Symposium Osiris Rack; Symposium Platforms and Roller Blocks plus grade 2.5 Balls

Acoustic Revive RR-888 Low Frequency Pulse Generator, Synergistic Research 12 UEF SE Line Conditioner, Level 3 HC AC Cord and Level 3 power cords, Synergistic Carbon fiber wall plates, Synergistic Research Orange Outlet, Furutech NCF Booster Braces, Audio Art Ref IC, MIT Oracle IC, synergistic Research Atmosphere X Euphoria Level 3 Balanced ICs, Synergistic Research Euphoria Level 3 Speaker Cables, Synergistic Research Cable Risers.

Sennheiser HDV 650 Headphone Amp; Sennheiser HD800s Headphones.

Comment

I use the KLAudio machine also it has been great since the day it arrived, I do have an old manual Record Dr. machine that I use once in a while on older records. Most of my records are in excellent condition I don't buy bad ones no matter what, one less thing to worry about.

Comment

I got my Degritter during their crowdfunding stage. Before that, I was using the Audio Desk, but that was leaky and finally it developed a fault and kept indicating that there was insufficient water. The mechanism of the brushes also broke down. I was using a 16.5 for 15 years before that. The Degritter had some teething problems at first, frequently indicating drain failure. That was fixed with firmware updates. It has been working flawlessly since. The only regret is that it has a blower to dry the LPs instead of a vacuum. This brings up the possibility of residues left on the LPs. I thought about keeping the 16.5 for drying, but I don't have the space.

Comment

I have the KLAudio. Previously the VPI 16, I could not move out the VPI fast enough after many years of ownership and few hours of operation. While the VPI was effective it was too noisy and laborious for me in the end. Also never felt good about MDF and water mixing together in terms of its shell.

I bought the KLA new, First one failed after a short time and very few cycles. After some back and forth remote trouble shooting, I made some part swaps based on KLA advice- no go. I sent it in and it was repaired and it worked for less than 10 cycles. I send it back again and firmly asked for a new one. They obliged and that one has been working well.

The machine is very complex and I am more than disappointed that its not in production any more with support that will dwindle. Works great, looks great. The tank is a bad design for cleaning and based on the design of the rest of the machine not up to the thoughtfulness of the whole.

They made an attempt to deal with this in their second release of the smaller model.

If this one fails and can not be repaired in the future. I'd seriously look at a Clearaudio machine or disposable Chinese variant that I wouldn't have to fret over if I had to trash it.

Maybe there is something to be said for the simplicity of the VPI after all ?

Front end: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 Power Supplies and Volume controls
                Brinkmann Balance & RonT Tube Power supply with Kuzma 4-point ,FR64S, Brinkmann 12.1 , .Koetsu Jade Platinum,Koetsu Rosewood Signature Platinum, Lyra Atlas, Lyra Etna SL Goldfinger Statement, KLAUDIO RCM, HRSM3X
                Amps: Wyetech Topaz, Futterman H3 Quad II,Citation II, Marantz 8b, 5 ,2
                Pre-Amps:Marantz 7, Marantz Model 1 Consolette Pair
                Speakers: Quad ESL 57, Beveridge Model 3 DD amps, REL S/2 x 2
                Otari 5050BXII, DeHavilland 222

Comment

Audio Desk, my first one with no issues. I have noticed the scrub heads have stiffened up a little and will be seeing if I can bring life back, before replacing with new ones. I do realize, like a wash rag, they don’t stay new.
                  Source Analog: Kuzma Stabi R with 4point 9 arm & Kuzma 40 Cartridge
                  Source Digital: Aurender N10 | Brinkmann Nyquist MK II
                  Amplification: Dan D’Agostino Momentum Pre Amp and Monos | Boulder Phono 508
                  Speakers: Wilson Alexias
                  Cabling: Nordost Valhalla 2/Odin: power, interconnects & speaker | Ansuz: C2 power & interconnect | Audioquest Diamond RJ45’s
                  Power: Nordost QRT series | Furutech FP55SN cable from 20 Amp Breakers on grounded sub panel to Furutech GTX D NSF receptacle packages | Surge Guard at Main Panel | Keces P3 & P8 | ADD POWR series
                  Other: HRS M3X | Stillpoints Ultra 6, SS & Mini | Nordost Sort Cones TC & BC | AQ Vox SE switch | Gigafoil v4 | Vicoustics | Audio Desk Systeme - Gläss

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
                    I clean every record after I play them and then place the used or new records in a new high quality sleeve like the Sleeve City Ultimate. That way the sleeves are not cross-contaminated. Everytime I play a record, it has already been cleaned. They are static free and super quiet
                    Do you use the KLAudio for the post-play cleaning?
                    Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
                    Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
                    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

• Joe Pittman
                      Joe Pittman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use the Klaudio after I play every record.

I use the KLAudio USM in conjuction with my VPI HW-17F. My basic process is the same as that of dcc. I'll use an enzyme cleaner first when I have to deal with cleaning dirtier records or ones with fingerprints. Thrift store finds often are first cleaned with a mix of 409 and water.

I had the Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic cleaner but was never satisfied with the results it produced on the bottom side of the disc. I sold it in order to buy my KLAudio USM. Ironically, the guy who sold me the KLAudio had just bought a Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic machine.
                    Analog: Holbo Turntable, Transfiguration Proteus; Forsell Air Reference, Transfiguration Phoenix S; Rega RP-8, VdH Crimson XGW; VPI Prime Signature, VAS Nova Mono, VAS Nova Signature, Symphonic Line RG-8
                    Digital: Mac mini 6,2 with YFS PS-12M LPS; Exogal Comet Plus, Exogal Ion PowerDAC
                    Electronics: Aurorasound Vida, Channel D Lino C; Merrill Cara, Gryphon M-100 Mkii (pair)
                    Cables: Morrow, Gryphon interconnects; YFS USB cable; Morrow, XLO, Channel D phono cables; Morrow, Gryphon, Goertz speaker cables

Comment

Semi-DIY - Chinese Trusonic 10L tank (40kHz) and Vinyl Stack Ultra rotator. I first scrub (Tergikleen) and vacuum with my Okki Nokki, then one rinse/scrub and vacuum, then into the tank for a ten-minute, three-rotations ultrasonic rinse. RO/DI water only ($0.42 a gallon, unbuffered, at pet store). Air dry. These are the only machines I've had. Very satisfied with the results. I go through a lot of water when in a cleaning frenzy, draining the tank after six records. We're almost always in a drought where I live, so, I make up for my H2O extravagance in other ways around the house.

Comment

I have a DIY using an Elmasonic P-120H and the KL Audio spinner. It is based on the work done by Tim A.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-05-02 09.10.01.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	5.65 MB
ID:	141224Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-04-29 18.41.28.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	3.48 MB
ID:	141225
                        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

• Kingrex
                          Kingrex commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Tim designed a great machine. I love his write up and experiences. Nice filtration you have there.

• kcin
                          kcin commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Wow- you are committed to the effort. Nice. I could not go through all of that as I am a lazy sloth. I even have been listening to my NAS and digital more than vinyl lately.

DIY Vinyl Stack with a Trusonic ultrasonic cleaner. I use them in conjunction with a Loricraft point-suction RCM. I'm going on 7 yrs with this set-up and no desire to change a thing.
                        TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | B.M.C. | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

• Steve Lefkowicz
                          Steve Lefkowicz commented
                          Editing a comment
                          have you posted photos of you setup? how do you dry them?

• Rob
                          Rob commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I would send you a link to the AVShowrooms forum pages where I posted pics but the site is gone. In short, I pre-scrub manually before they go into the US, they air dry in the vinyl stack before a final rinse and vacuum on the Loricraft.

• Kingrex
                          Kingrex commented
                          Editing a comment
                          How do you prescrub. With a brush. Do you use surfactants of some sort, rhen rinse it off before the US. My big issue now is getting the cleaning solution out of the grooves before the US as I don't want to cross contaminate.

I’ve had a Clearaudio Double Matrix RCM for the last four years. It’s a terrific machine that performs well consistently. Absolutely no complains.

My brother bought one as well as he saw it perform in my home. And, I have a couple of friends that sold Klaudio machines to get the Clearaudio.

Comment

Working...
                        X