Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Sleeves For Classic and MOFI Box Sets

Not sure about UHQRs.
    LP Box Set Box Protector - Clear Polyester. 13 x 13 x 1-1/8".
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Going to give them a try. I don't think the AP UHQR's are going to fit. But I have plenty of other possibilities!
    Speakers: Horning Eufrodite Ellipse III on Stillpoints Ultra 5S feet
    Speakers: REL Acoustics G1 Mark II Subs (pair)
    Tube Amplifier: New Audio Frontiers Ultimate 211 Special Edition Monoblocks
    SS Amplifier: Plinius SA-Reference
    Preamp: TW Acustic RPA-100 Line Stage
    Phono Stage: TW Acustic RPS-100
    Turntable - TW Acustic Raven AC w/ Black Knight Anniversary Upgrades
    Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
    Tonearm: TW 10.5" with Miyajima Zero Mono
    Vinyl Care: Furutech DF-2 LP Flattener - Degritter Ultrasonic & VPI Cyclone RCM
    Tape: Tascam 42B-NB (Refurb by Soren Wittrup)
    Tape Stage: Doshi V.3 Tape Stage
    CD/SACD: Playback Designs MP-5
    Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable
    DAC: Lampizator Golden Gate2

Power Conditioner: (2) Silver Circle Audio TCHAIK 6
    Wire: Custom Furutech PC's + Audience Front Row IC's & Speaker Cables
    Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

I've used Bags Unlimited for years. Very good and reliable and reasonably priced. At my peak collecting period, I would buy 1000 outer covers at a time from them for single albums and 100 or more outer covers for record boxes. Never went into the very thick covers like the ones Myles lists. If you spend hundreds on a collector item box, looks like a good investment to protect it. I never found big enough covers for my MoFi Beatles Box or some of the big MoFi Opera boxes (Carmen, La Boheme), the Mahler box from the San Francisco Symphony, or Classic Records multidisc 45RPM one sided boxes.

Larry
      Analog- VPIClassic3-3DArm,SoundsmithZephyrII+MiyajimaZeroMono, 2xAmpex ATR-102,Doshi3.0,Merrill Trident Master Tape Pre,Herron VTPH-2A
      Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,Mykerinos,PacMicroModel2
      Dig Play-mchNADAC, LampiPac, Roon, HQP, Oppo105
      Electronics-Doshi Pre,CJ MET1mchPre, Cary2A3monoamps
      Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR
      Other-2x512Engineer/Marutani Symmetrical Power, AudioDiskVinylCleaner,AirTightRecordFlat, Scott Rust Interconnects,
      Music-15KRecs(90%classical),1.3KR2Rtapes,50TBrips

Comment

• timztunz
        timztunz commented
        Editing a comment
        They've been my go to for outer sleeves as well. They have a great variety of sizes for single jacket, gatefolds and even a little bigger. I have some of the bigger ones for One Steps, Classic Red Boxes, etc. But I like the idea of these for those. We'll see. :-)

Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post
      Not sure about UHQRs.
      I thought I would offer some feedback on these. First off, I like them. They perfectly protect our more valuable items like One Steps and Red Box Clarity, as those fit perfectly. But as was mentioned, the new UHQR's from AP don't fit. They come flat so that "some assembly required". They are molded so that the parts that need to fold and tuck in, do so easily.

But as with most things, there are some cons.

1) Both the bottom and top flaps and tabs fold in to each other forming a box. With the first one I put together I put the bottom of the box together first. The One Steps and Red Box fit nice and snug, not too tight and not too loose. But they are snug enough that I couldn't push the box all the way in because the fold tab on the bottom prevents it from getting all the way in. I ended up having to unfold the bottom, push the box in to where it belongs and then refold the bottom and fold in the top part. This means that the same issue will occur when trying to put one back after playing. The top and bottom will have to be unfolded to get the box back in. Personally I'm ok with this little bit of inconvenience in trade for how good they look and work.

2) You "could" use them for the older MOFI UHQR's but the rigid "box" is larger by about 25%-30% meaning it takes up more shelf space than it should. I'll keep using oversized "bags" for those.

3) They come with a protective film that once removed makes the box perfectly clear. But from first hand experience I can tell you it's a LOT easier to take that film off BEFORE assembling the box because once it's folded up its nearly impossible to get the film off of the little die cut tabs.

All in all, I like them and am happy to add them to my arsenal of record protection goods.
      Tonearm: Kuzma 4-Point 14" with Air Tight Opus-1 Cartridge (w/ EM/IA 1:20 Silver Wire SUT)
      Streamer/Server: Aurender N30SA, Ediscreation Silent Switch OCXO w/ Ediscreation Silver reference LAN cable

Tweaks: Stillpoints Aperture II Panels & Stillpoints Ultra 5S's & SS's sprinkled about - DS Audio ION-001 Vinyl Ionizer - SRA Scuttle III Rack, SRA Ohio Class and Symposium Super Plus Platforms

Comment

What outer sleeves do people recommend for larger 2-3 LP sets with gatefolds?
        Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio V3 Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS; Durand Telos and SME 3012R Tonearms, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Miyajima Zero; Reel to Reel: Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810; Studer A812; Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC> Lampizator Pacific

Comment

Originally posted by dminches View Post
          What outer sleeves do people recommend for larger 2-3 LP sets with gatefolds?
          I use these. https://www.bagsunlimited.com/produc...redno-flapfont

Most 2-LP gate folds will fit in a 12.3/4” x 12.3/4”. But 13” will handle the bigger 3-LP’s.

Comment

Working...
          X