• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    kach22i

• kach22i
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
    If anyone has humidity issues, the MA Recordings breathable fabric design is highly recommended.

https://www.marecordings.com/main/pr...6bhmb3aqmiipm2
    Nice, and very affordable too.

What is the material and how finely woven?

Can you feel a texture to it?

Last week I order some Sleeve City round bottom 1.5's to insert into existing liners that have artwork or printing on them, and SC Ultimates for everything else.

Also ordered No. 6 enzyme cleaning fluid from another vendor.

So geeked about this that I stopped spinning vinyl and started listening to my CD's. Listening sessions are noticeably shorter and I am suddenly multitasking.

Leave a comment:

• Metamatic
    Premier Club Member

• Metamatic
    replied
    Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post

Its not the environment where I store my records, they get a/c 24/7 From what I heard, mofi just dropped the ball. and put out a qty, of
    defective sleeves.
    Correct JC. Mofi have dropped the ball on QC before and will probably do it again in the future - personally I will not touch them.

Just sent the following email to the company that supplies my MFSL inner sleeves: Hello. I purchased a pack of Mobile Fidelity Inner Sleeves (50...

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    Premier Club Member

• JCOConnell
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I’ve been using different sleeves for the better part of 35 years without any issues. There have been some anecdotal reports here and there. Wonder if some has to do with FL and the humidity?

The only issues I have have encountered were the old plastic sleeves that leached plasticizer, stuck, left wavy lines, etc., on the record.
    Its not the environment where I store my records, they get a/c 24/7 From what I heard, mofi just dropped the ball. and put out a qty, of
    defective sleeves.

Leave a comment:

• Barry

• Barry
    replied
    I like the MA Recordings inner sleeves for the reasons stated in the article above - they breathe, are soft, but don't fold over so easily.

In my previous house, humidity was an issue as my listening room was in the basement. Had serious flooding when storm sewers backed up in a very heavy rain (it's bad when you see the cat litter box floating across the room!!!). I cleaned all the records with a VPI and put them all back in poly record sleeves. Now, different house, 25 years later, some of those old records have mold spots.

Now cleaning 800+ records and using new MA sleeves to kill time during the pandemic.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Pittman
    Premier Club Member

• Joe Pittman
    replied
    If anyone has humidity issues, the MA Recordings breathable fabric design is highly recommended.

https://www.marecordings.com/main/pr...6bhmb3aqmiipm2

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    Administrator

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
    Im surprised nobody mentioned the risk of vintage sleeves. I had a mfsl early sleeve
    totally destroy my vinyl of CCR, The lp was in storage about ten years an when I went
    to play it it had several large white melted areas on both sides of the disc, total loss. Sucks because
    album was mint and will cost a lot of $ to replace,
    I’ve been using different sleeves for the better part of 35 years without any issues. There have been some anecdotal reports here and there. Wonder if some has to do with FL and the humidity?

The only issues I have have encountered were the old plastic sleeves that leached plasticizer, stuck, left wavy lines, etc., on the record.

Leave a comment:

• JCOConnell
    Premier Club Member

• JCOConnell
    commented on 's reply
    FYI> it wasnt the original mofi sleeve that came with the record, it was
    a mfsl "upgrade" sleeve with printing on it.
  • Metamatic
    Premier Club Member

• Metamatic
    commented on 's reply
    damn I would hate that - lucky I have never ever had that issue - but I throw away my Mobile Fidelity sleeves if I buy a Mofi album.

Mobile Fidelity have had major issues with their sleeves in the past - yet people,still buy them.
  • JCOConnell
    Premier Club Member

• JCOConnell
    replied
    Im surprised nobody mentioned the risk of vintage sleeves. I had a mfsl early sleeve
    totally destroy my vinyl of CCR, The lp was in storage about ten years an when I went
    to play it it had several large white melted areas on both sides of the disc, total loss. Sucks because
    album was mint and will cost a lot of $ to replace,

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    Administrator

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Metamatic View Post

Hi Myles

I am well aware of the cardboard liner - they makes the mofi sleeves even more of an issue.
    i would like to know who actually uses the mofi cardboard liners - not many?

Have you used the Covers 33 polylined inner paper sleeves?

they have cut off edges which makes the sleeves easy to insert and remove.
    Been using them now for 15 years and they are the gold standard imo.

The straight edge polylined paper like the Sleeve City are not very good and may tear like you mention as they are easy to catch the sides when trying to insert and as the guy said on the video , to large for some sleeves.

I have been using el cheapo u shaped poly inners for 35 years and never once had a single issue - literally some albums with inner have been pulled out 400 times. They work, and work extremely well when you have a cardboard inner and they are dirt cheap.
    gone to Nagoaka sleeves and others and went back to the el cheapo ones.

They are as useless as mofi sleeves if there is no card inner to hold the record - hence using the Covers 33 polylined paper inners for all the rest.

Cheers
    Not necessarily the exact ones you have but reviewed a similar sleeve construct.

Leave a comment:

• Metamatic
    Premier Club Member

• Metamatic
    replied
    Originally posted by MylesBAstor View Post

I think you have to realize that MoFI encloses their sleeves in a cardboard liner therefore eliminating the issues you raised. That was how they were designed to be used. To be fair, most of these rice paper like sleeves suffer from the same foldover issues.

I had the bottom round sleeves and thought they were the worst. The plastic was so thin wondered if they actually protect the LP when sliding the record in and out of the record jacket.

I don’t find the polylined paper sleeves really any better. Maybe it has something to do with how often you listen to the album but I find the paper tears in almost all with time.
    Hi Myles

I am well aware of the cardboard liner - they makes the mofi sleeves even more of an issue.
    i would like to know who actually uses the mofi cardboard liners - not many?

Have you used the Covers 33 polylined inner paper sleeves?

they have cut off edges which makes the sleeves easy to insert and remove.
    Been using them now for 15 years and they are the gold standard imo.

The straight edge polylined paper like the Sleeve City are not very good and may tear like you mention as they are easy to catch the sides when trying to insert and as the guy said on the video , to large for some sleeves.

I have been using el cheapo u shaped poly inners for 35 years and never once had a single issue - literally some albums with inner have been pulled out 400 times. They work, and work extremely well when you have a cardboard inner and they are dirt cheap.
    gone to Nagoaka sleeves and others and went back to the el cheapo ones.

They are as useless as mofi sleeves if there is no card inner to hold the record - hence using the Covers 33 polylined paper inners for all the rest.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    Administrator

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
    By far the best sleeve I have found is the Sleeve City Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner Record Sleeve. But they are very expensive. In quantity, they are 50 cents a crack. Ultimately, I intend to have every record stored in one (one of my bucket list items). They are a good size by the way and I have found they fit within the majority of the paper inner sleeves if desired.

I’ve migrated over to these sleeves in the last year or two. But still have a huge stash of Discwaher VRP sleeves (some Japanese and lesser Japanese versions) and to all lesser extent MOFI from 10 years ago. More than enough now for a lifetime.

Leave a comment:

• MylesBAstor
    Administrator

• MylesBAstor
    replied
    Originally posted by Metamatic View Post
    Personally I find mofi sleeves a joke. Hard to insert, always scruncing - NFI why people like them. I guess the name sells. Audiophool sleeves if u ask me.

I use Covers33 corners cut polylined paper inner sleeves for any album that does not have a cardboard/paper lyric sheet. Easy to insert, easy to remove - perfect.
    These are used on many higher class Euro labels like Speakers cnr.

Plain el cheapo u shaped poly sleeves for albums that have cardboard/ paper lyric inners - they pop in and out easily. One does not need more or to spend more.

Click image for larger version Name:	12-white-polylined-2-1024x1024.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.2 KB ID:	135202Click image for larger version Name:	images (2).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	28.6 KB ID:	135203
    I think you have to realize that MoFI encloses their sleeves in a cardboard liner therefore eliminating the issues you raised. That was how they were designed to be used. To be fair, most of these rice paper like sleeves suffer from the same foldover issues.

I had the bottom round sleeves and thought they were the worst. The plastic was so thin wondered if they actually protect the LP when sliding the record in and out of the record jacket.

I don’t find the polylined paper sleeves really any better. Maybe it has something to do with how often you listen to the album but I find the paper tears in almost all with time.

Leave a comment:

• timztunz
    Forum Leader

• timztunz
    commented on 's reply
    My favorite as well.
  • shawnwes

• shawnwes
    replied
    I've been using BCW inner & outer sleeves for a few years now. They're poly lined paper sleeves. They've held up well so far.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X