Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mofi Inner sleeves from Audio Basics in Canada

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mofi Inner sleeves from Audio Basics in Canada

    With the low Canuck buck pricing for these has really shot up in the last few years. The price for a 50-pack ranges from $32.99-$36.99....so about $35 on average.. However, if you buy in multiples from Audio Basics in Kleinburg, On (just North of Toronto) the price comes down significantly, plus you'll get FREE shipping.

    The price goes down to $27.00 when buying 5 packs. That's an $8 saving per pack.

    Just thought I'd pass that on.





    Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

  • #2
    Thx for the tip. Good timing as i'm due to replenish.

    Comment


    • Johnny Vinyl
      Johnny Vinyl commented
      Editing a comment
      I ordered some a few days ago. Should be here in a day or so.

  • #3
    I've switched to the Disckeeper Sleeves from Sleeve City and would not go back to the Mo-Fi sleeves. They are a little more expensive buy IMHO worth the extra few cents per sleeve.

    Comment


    • jonathanb
      jonathanb commented
      Editing a comment
      These are easily the best inner sleeves I've encountered. I tried a pack of 50 and now use nothing else.

  • #4
    Hmmm. I have yet to find the perfect inner. I've used almost all of the usual suspects, old and new. I too switched to the Sleeve City Ultimate Audiophile ones a while ago- the double lined ones- I don't slide the sleeved record back into the jacket, to minimize static and wear, but insert it into a sandwich made of poly liners around the jacket and the whole kit and caboodle, often including a spare aftermarket jacket as part of the sandwich for extra robustness. I've found that the Ultimate Audiophile ones leave sleeve lint- nothing harmful, but annoying. For my high value records, as I reclean them, I'm now using the MA liner- we'll see how those go--they are very soft, woven- I think the sleeve detritus issue may be minimized, but because they are floppy/limp, not as easy to handle as those Sleeve City Ultimate ones.

    Comment


    • #5
      Originally posted by spinblackcircle View Post
      I've switched to the Disckeeper Sleeves from Sleeve City and would not go back to the Mo-Fi sleeves. They are a little more expensive buy IMHO worth the extra few cents per sleeve.
      I standardized on the Sleeve City Diskeeper Ultimate sleeve several years ago and will never go back to lesser designs. They are also the perfect size and fit into an LP's paper sleeves. Even in quantity (10 packs of 50) they are outrageously expensive, $0.51US or approx $0.67CA.
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Phono 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable with 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Decade Phono Preamp
      Phono 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable with 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      R2R Tape: Studer A810 with Bridge Console
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      Power: Audio-Ultra Power System, IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

      Comment


      • jonathanb
        jonathanb commented
        Editing a comment
        Given the cost of the record the sleeve will be housing, the cost per sleeve seems almost negligible to me.

    • #6
      Thanks guys, but this was just about getting a nice deal.....I haven't tried the others mentioned as we have limited selections here , but I have no issues with the MoFi ones.
      Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

      Comment


      • #7
        didn't mofi have an issue with their sleeves ruining records at one point? has that problem been absolutely solved and how can you be sure youre not getting old stock of the bad sleeves?
        Magnepan 1.6 QR Loudspeakers, Amherst A-2000 MOSFET 150 WPC Amp, Conrad Johnson PV-10A Modded Tube Line & Phono Stage, Electrocompaniet MC II Class A Head Amp, Audio Technica AT-OC9XML Cart (Stereo) , Graham Engineering 2.2 Tonearm (Stereo) , VPI Aries-1 Turntable (Stereo) , VPI Clamp, Denon DL-102 Cart, (Mono) , Luxman Tonearm (Mono) , Kenwood KD-500 Turntable (Mpmp) , Michell Clamp, Marantz 20B Analog FM Tuner, Pioneer SACD, Onkyo DX-6800 CD Transport, DIY 24B/192K DAC, Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones, Headroom Max Balanced Headphone Amp, DIY Silver Interconnects

        Comment


        • #8
          Originally posted by JCOConnell View Post
          didn't mofi have an issue with their sleeves ruining records at one point? has that problem been absolutely solved and how can you be sure youre not getting old stock of the bad sleeves?
          That was some years ago. It's not an issue any longer.
          Dynavector DV20x2L MC cartridge - Genesis G7.1f speakers - Marantz Reference PM-KI-Pearl Int. Amp. - Oracle Audio Paris MkV turntable - Various Morrow & Valab/King cables

          Comment


          • Johnny Vinyl
            Johnny Vinyl commented
            Editing a comment
            Not as far as I know JC! I personally never had an issue and I don't think it was extremely widespread.

          • JCOConnell
            JCOConnell commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm scared as hell of the mofi sleeves because I had a valuable record get trashed by one. I had a mint copy of mofi CCR cosmos factory that had been put in an aftermarket mofi sleeve, not the original sleeve it came with. After not listenening to it for about a half dozen years, when I
            pulled it out to play it, it had multiple raised white areas on the record all gooey like it had been exposed to superglue fumes or some other gas. Needless to say the record went from mint to unplayable and I never want that to happen again.

          • Johnny Vinyl
            Johnny Vinyl commented
            Editing a comment
            Ouch! I don't blame you for being put off by them then. I would as well.

        • #9
          I also use Diskkeeper sleeves and basically throw away the Mofi and QP ones...
          Magico M-Project, CAT JL7SE, CH Precision L1/X1/P1, Kronos Pro Limited Edition/SME 3012R/Atlas SL/Opus-1, Schiit Yggdrasil, ZenWave D4 ICs & SCs

          Comment


          • #10
            Originally posted by Bill Hart View Post
            Hmmm. I have yet to find the perfect inner. I've used almost all of the usual suspects, old and new. I too switched to the Sleeve City Ultimate Audiophile ones a while ago- the double lined ones- I don't slide the sleeved record back into the jacket, to minimize static and wear, but insert it into a sandwich made of poly liners around the jacket and the whole kit and caboodle, often including a spare aftermarket jacket as part of the sandwich for extra robustness. I've found that the Ultimate Audiophile ones leave sleeve lint- nothing harmful, but annoying. For my high value records, as I reclean them, I'm now using the MA liner- we'll see how those go--they are very soft, woven- I think the sleeve detritus issue may be minimized, but because they are floppy/limp, not as easy to handle as those Sleeve City Ultimate ones.
            Inner Sleeve Viagra next on the market? Seriously, my bitch with the MoFi sleeves is they wrinkle faster than a Chinese Shar Pei puppy. I try very hard to slide the MoFi sleeves VERY carefully in the LP jacket, but I'm always amazed at how many of them have bent corners when I pull them back out of the jackets.
            Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

            Comment


            • #11
              Originally posted by mep View Post

              Inner Sleeve Viagra next on the market? Seriously, my bitch with the MoFi sleeves is they wrinkle faster than a Chinese Shar Pei puppy. I try very hard to slide the MoFi sleeves VERY carefully in the LP jacket, but I'm always amazed at how many of them have bent corners when I pull them back out of the jackets.
              Aside from that, just the re-sleeving process back into the jacket can create static, and puts more wear and tear on the jackets. I make a sandwich, as mentioned, that easily allows me to pull a record from the package without disturbing the jacket. It does mean you are using more poly bags and some other stuff, but I find it easier to work with and it satisfies my compulsive needs as well. Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2dc.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	42569

              Comment


              • #12
                You're in way deep Bill.
                Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

                Comment


                • #13
                  Originally posted by mep View Post

                  Inner Sleeve Viagra next on the market? Seriously, my bitch with the MoFi sleeves is they wrinkle faster than a Chinese Shar Pei puppy. I try very hard to slide the MoFi sleeves VERY carefully in the LP jacket, but I'm always amazed at how many of them have bent corners when I pull them back out of the jackets.
                  Remember the MOFI records/sleeves were/are used with an inner cardboard sleeve that prevented fold over and wrinkling. The MOFI sleeves probably were not intended to be used without.
                  Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                  Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                  ________________________________________

                  -Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                  -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                  -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                  -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                  -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                  -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                  -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                  -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                  -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                  -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

                  Comment


                  • #14
                    Originally posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
                    With the low Canuck buck pricing for these has really shot up in the last few years. The price for a 50-pack ranges from $32.99-$36.99....so about $35 on average.. However, if you buy in multiples from Audio Basics in Kleinburg, On (just North of Toronto) the price comes down significantly, plus you'll get FREE shipping.

                    The price goes down to $27.00 when buying 5 packs. That's an $8 saving per pack.

                    Just thought I'd pass that on.
                    Thanks for the heads up Johnny. I know this might be obsessive but back in the '90s MOFI intended to discontinue their inner sleeves (I actually wrote about it too!) and I started preparing for the eventual apocalypse back then that never came. I ended up buying a ton load of MOFI and Discwasher VRP inner sleeves. Probably about 2000 or 3000 inner sleeves and still have a good stock. In part because most of the new LPs I buy come with premium sleeves. So the only time replace inner sleeves is with used LPs.

                    I never had any issues with the MOFI sleeves in all my years of use. But who knows? Humidity, temperature, bacteria, mold, etc?
                    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
                    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com
                    ________________________________________

                    -Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
                    -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
                    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
                    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
                    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
                    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
                    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
                    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
                    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
                    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X