Record Doctor V cleaning machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Doctor V cleaning machine

Picked up a Record Doctor V cleaner today. Very similar to the lowest cost Nitty Gritty, but in a simpler case. Audio Advisor sells them for $199. Tried it out tonight on one record just to see how well it worked. Brought back memories of my old Nitty Gritty 2.5fi, though not as convenient. I was actually a little surprised at how smoothly the record spun and how easy it was to spread the fluid and scrub. Dried up nicely and a quick inspection with a digital microscope showed it didn't leave any traces of anything behind. On its own it will be very effective for cleaning one or two at time before playing, and when I go used record shopping, used in conjunction with the Spin Clean it will make batch cleaning very fast.

I will have to try some different brushes, as I get the feeling the one that came with it won't last too long. Also, for scrubbing, if I only have one or a few records to do I may use the mat from my old Allsop Orbitrac to set the record on, then use the Record Doctor just for drying. I'll have a Pro-Ject RCM in soon too, so it will good seeing how they compare. For $499 the Pro-Ject seems very interesting.
    Steve Lefkowicz
    Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
    -
    Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
    Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
    Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
    Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
    Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
    Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
    Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
    Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
    Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

I have one i acquired NIB from a seller at a record show for less than 199. Its a nice back-up slot-type vacuum RCM so I thought, turns out to be a pretty good primary RCM. it would compliment a DIY ultra sonic very well esp. when used for the "final rinse 'n suck" stage, as I like to call it
    TechDAS | Graham Eng | ZYX | Boulder | Magico

"Listening to Analogue music is an act of rebellion in a digital gulag" - Simon Yorke

Comment

Be careful with dried particulate on the pad, it can damage the record surface. I recommend you rinse the pad prior to each use if the pad has dried out.

Also monitor the wear of the pad. Over time, the fibers will be too small and less dense, again creating the potential for record surface damage. Usually not an issue with a new machine.
      Speakers/Amps: Genesis G2.2 Jr with Powered Servo-Sub Bass, Genesis GR1440 Mono Amps, 5,000 watts total power
      Preamp: SMc Audio VRE-1C Preamp (fully balanced inputs and output)
      Analog 1: VPI Signature 21 Belt-Drive Turntable w/ 10” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Windfeld Ti Phono Cartridge driving Lehmann Silver Cube Phono Preamp
      Analog 2: VPI HW-40 Direct-Drive Turntable w/ 12” 3D Printed Fatboy Gimbal Arm and Ortofon MC Anna Diamond Phono Cartridge driving Genesis Gold Phono Preamp
      Analog 3: Studer A810 R2R tape w/ Bridge Console. Using built-in tape preamp
      Digital: Lumin Network Player with Lumin NAS
      Cables: Genesis Advanced Technologies/Absolute Fidelity Interface Interconnects, Speaker, Phono and Power
      A/C Power: Extensive System Upgrades, Sub-panel w/hard-wired power cables, and IsoTek Super Titan Passive Power Conditioning for Amplifiers
      Accessories: Custom Acrylic Equipment Stands, Klaudio Ultrasonic RCM

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Pittman View Post
        Be careful with dried particulate on the pad, it can damage the record surface. I recommend you rinse the pad prior to each use if the pad has dried out.

Also monitor the wear of the pad. Over time, the fibers will be too small and less dense, again creating the potential for record surface damage. Usually not an issue with a new machine.
        If you are talking about the pads (lips?) around the vacuum, I remember with my Nitty Gritty replacing them regularly. If you are talking about the old pad from the Oribtrac, yes, that gets washed after every use.
        Steve Lefkowicz
        Senior Associate Editor at Positive Feedback
        -
        Analog 1: Linn LP12 (MOSE/Hercules II), Ittok, Dynavector 10X5 MK.II Low, iPhono2/iPowerX; Analog 2: Pro-Ject RPM-1 Carbon, Talisman S, iFi iPhono.
        Digital: Samsung 300E5C notebook, JRiver Media Center 28, Tidal HiFi, Qobuz Studio), iFi NEO iDSD, iFi iUSB3, iPurifier2, Audioquest Jitterbug.
        Electronics: DIY passive line-stage, Antique Sound Labs MG-SI15DT-S, Burson Timekeeper Virtuoso
        Speakers: Tekton Lore, Magneplaner .7
        Interconnects: Morrow Audio MA1, Vermouth Audio Black Pearl, Audioquest Evergreen
        Speaker cables: Morrow Audio SP4, Vermouth Audio Red Velvet, Audioquest Type 5
        Digital cables: Aural Symphonics USB, iFi Gemini twin-head USB.
        Accessories: Sound Organization turntable shelf, Mondo racks, Pangea Audio Vulcan rack, Pi Audio Group Über BUSS, Monster HTS2000 power conditioner, Kinetronics anti-static brush, Pro-Ject VC-S record cleaner, Spin Clean record cleaner.
        Headphones: Schiit Valhalla amp, Burson Conductor Virtuoso Amp, Meze Audio 99 Classic and 99 Neo, Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 600 ohm, DT770 Studio 80 ohm, 1More Triple Driver Over Ear, 1More Triple Driver IEM

Comment

I remember reviewing the original Record Doctor in the '90s! Was good budget machine back then.
          Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
          Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
          -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
          -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
          -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
          -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
          -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
          -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
          -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
          -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
          -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Brushes?

For a manual style cleaner, you may want to consider scrubbing (pads) versus agitating (brushes.) Iirc the Orbitrac brush is a scrubber. The agitating technique relies more on the power of the cleaning fluid -kept on the record longer- with the aim of the agitation to keep dirt, etc. particles suspended in the fluid until vacuumed off. If you chose to scrub, consider the Record Doctor type brushes. If you opt to agitate (my pref) look at the Listener Select brushes from Osage Audio (Audio Intelligent cleaning solutions - Jim Pendleton.) Fwiw, the Audio Intelligent cleaners are top class, imo.

Pure water rinse cycle is the key critical step.

Comment

Originally posted by tima View Post
              Brushes?

For a manual style cleaner, you may want to consider scrubbing (pads) versus agitating (brushes.) Iirc the Orbitrac brush is a scrubber. The agitating technique relies more on the power of the cleaning fluid -kept on the record longer- with the aim of the agitation to keep dirt, etc. particles suspended in the fluid until vacuumed off. If you chose to scrub, consider the Record Doctor type brushes. If you opt to agitate (my pref) look at the Listener Select brushes from Osage Audio (Audio Intelligent cleaning solutions - Jim Pendleton.) Fwiw, the Audio Intelligent cleaners are top class, imo.

Pure water rinse cycle is the key critical step.
              I came around to that POV over time. It just makes sense that the pads should get into and make more thorough contacts with the grooves. I ended up using the MOFI pads when I had my VPI machine.
              Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
              Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
              -Goldmund Telos 300 stereo amp
              -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
              -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
              -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
              -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
              -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
              -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
              -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
              -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Its a very handy device for cleaning your brushes...carbon fiber, stylus, whatever. I keep mine handy to clean the brush every time, before it is used.
                Life is analog...digital is just samples thereof
                https://www.edsstuff.org

Analog: Walnut VPI Prime TT, HRX Pulley + 3 Belt Drive + ADS, Dual Pivot Assy, Tru Lift, HW-40 Feet
                Analog 2: Ortofon Windfeld Ti + Bob's Devices VPI Sky 30 Stepup + Liberty Audio B2B-1, Stereo Squares Dust Cover, Wayne's Audio Peripheral Ring
                Analog Care: VPI MW-1, Kirmuss KA-RC-1, Record Doctor V, Hunt EDA VI Brush, AQ Brush, Discwasher Record Care Kit
                Digital: TASCAM UH-7000 USB Interface, Pioneer Elite DV-47Ai Universal Disc Player, NAD C448 Internet Radio/Streamer
                Digital 2: Digital Audio Workstation (Toshiba P75-A7200 w/MS Windows 10, 24GB RAM, 1.5 TB Crucial MX300 SSD Internal Storage, Intel i7-4700MQ Processor)

Amp: Rogue RP-9 Line Preamp, Schiit Loki Tone Ctrls, Parasound A21 Power Amp
                Speakers: Magnepan MMC2, REL T9/i Subwoofer
                Headphones: Stax SR L700 MkII + Woo Audio GES, Focal Clear + Schiit Lyr 2, Stax Lambda Pro + SRM1 Mk II
                Wires: Kimber Hero ICs, Kimber 8TC Speaker Cables, AQ Leopard Phono IC, Pangea Silver USB Cables, StraightWire Expressivo ICs
                Power: Furman Elite 15 PFi

Comment

Working...
                X