Valvo 12AT7 Variety Tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valvo 12AT7 Variety Tubes

Anyone had a chance to hear these tubes? (Knowing that apparently some were made by Phillips, etc.).

I had shied away from Valvos because some said that they were a little lean and a little too detailed. Yet someone mentioned that the 12AT7s were detailed but with the right amount of romanticism. Of course, tube rolling is dependent on the system so could you mention what component the Valvos were used in.
    Myles B. Astor, PhD, Administrator
    Senior Editor, Positive-Feedback.com

-Zellaton Plural Evo speakers
    -Goldmund Telos 440 mono amps
    -Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier
    -Doshi EVO and Goldmund PH3.8 phonostage
    -VPI Vanquish direct-drive turntable
    -VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Technics RS1506 with Flux Magnetic heads, Doshi V3.0 tape stage (balanced)
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

From tube-classics.de

Click image for larger version

Name:	0347DBF0-950E-4404-9544-C2DB4E714093.png
Views:	102
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	163352

-VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy dual pivot tonearm, VPI 12-inch 3D Fat Boy gimballed and SAT LM-12 arm
    -Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga Mk. 2, vdh Colibri Master Signature, MutechHayabusa, MOFI Master Tracker, Sumiko Songbird cartridges
    -Assorted cables including Transparent XL Gen. 6, Skogrand, Viero, Kubala-Sosna, Audience Au24SX, Genesis Advanced Technologies and Ensemble Power Cords
    -Accessories including Stillpoint Aperture panels, Cathedral Sound panels, Furutech NCF Nano AC receptacles; Silver Circle Tchaik 6 PLC, Symposium ISIS and SRA Craz 3 racks, Audiodharma Cable Cooker, Symposium Ultra and assorted SRA OHIO Class 2.1+ platforms.

Comment

Just got a pair of these babies in. Apparently NOS, German made (Hamburg) Valvos are rarer than he's teeth and command good prices. This pair is eventually destined for my Doshi tapestage but right now am loving me a pair of Tele ECC801s in the phase splitter spots. According to Nick Doshi, these Valvos are both detailed and rich at the same time. Time will tell.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220319_165153.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	2.90 MB
ID:	165363

Comment

Hi Myles,

I've been tube rolling in my Nagra Classic phono stage. It takes 2-6992's and 1 each 12AX7 and 12AT7. From the factory it has closely matched Genalex Gold Lions. Which are pretty good in comparison and price. But others are better. I tried Phillips Holland miniwats first in the 12ax7/12at7 positions. Definitely more beauty up and down the spectrum and more finely drawn resolution and less grain. Next I put in Amperex 7308's in the 6922 position. Similar feedback. Next I swapped the Philips Miniwats for a Mazda 12AT7 and a Briar CV4004. I found even more beauty, more leading edge and stayed with these. Then swapped the Amperex 7308's for Mullard E188cc's and fell in love. Much more beauty, more quietness and resolution. The Amperex 7308s are now in my Nagra HD preamp replacing 6 year old Mullard E88CC's.

Out of curiosity, where did you source your Valvo's from?
        Speakers: Rockport Lyra
        Amps: Nagra HD Pre Amp & HD Amps
        Cables: Transparent Magnum Opus Gen 6 cabling
        Power Transparent Opus Power Cords & Opus Isolators
        Digital dCS Vivaldi full stack w/ Transparent Reference XL Digital cables
        Phono: Grand Prix Monaco 2.0 TT, Kuzma 4-Point, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement, Nagra Classic Phono & PSU
        Racks: Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 (x4)

Comment

Working...
        X