Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever Tube Testers Test For Bears Little Or No Relationship To What We Can Hear!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whatever Tube Testers Test For Bears Little Or No Relationship To What We Can Hear!

N/A
    Last edited by Dr.Ears; 02-08-2018, 02:10 PM.

Did anyone ever think they could use a tube tester to burn in tubes?
    Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

N/A

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Ears View Post
        My tube tester uses two vacuum tubes, one of which is getting hard to find. I would be putting unnecessary hours on the tubes in my tester.
        Would that be a Hickok tester that uses a mercury tube inside ?

Comment

N/A

Comment

Yes, it uses a type 87 with mercury and a 5Y3.
            I just sold my Hickok after many years of faithful service. The one disappointment with (my) Hickok was it's inability to properly test power tubes. Often it would give good score to a KT88 only to have the tube blow a fuse or resistor due to a short.

I bought the Amplitrex and although I don't know how I'll feel after years of experience with it, one thing for sure it fails shorted power tubes. For that I am grateful.

Comment

N/A
              Last edited by Dr.Ears; 02-08-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

I don't think anyone seriously thinks that testing a tube to make sure it is functioning properly will tell you anything about the sound it makes. But then again, there are those engineering types that think everything can be measured.

Comment

My tube tester uses two vacuum tubes, one of which is getting hard to find. I would be putting unnecessary hours on the tubes in my tester.
                  I thought 87 tubes are more common than herpes at a Bachelor party in Vegas.
                  Micro Seiki SX-8000 table with flywheel, SME 3012R arm, SME 312S arm, Lyra Etna SL and Dynavector XV-1S cartridges, ARC Ref 3 phono stage, Otari MX-55 tape deck, Ampex 350 repros, Roon Nucleus Plus server, PS Audio DSJ DAC, ARC Ref 6 pre, ARC Ref 75 amp, JBL 4345 speakers, and Def Tech Ref subs.

Comment

Working...
                  X